Transfer from #135- #22 Boston U - Taking Questions

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Coolgrnmen

Transfer from #135- #22 Boston U - Taking Questions

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:36 pm

I know Regionality started a thread about his transfer experience to Berkeley with his friend chiming in from Stanford.

It's a great idea, IMO, to have threads like that. But the transfer experience may be slightly different coming from TTT or TTTT --> T1 and not necessarily T14 (T13.5 for the UT haters).

Hopefully some of my fellow transfer buddies will chime in on the questions and you can hear from a couple of perspectives.

If you have private or personal questions, feel free to PM...but otherwise you should post on the thread so everyone can see and we don't answer the same question a bunch of times.

wilc0phan

Re: Transfer from #135- #22 Boston U - Taking Questions

Postby wilc0phan » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:14 am

Thanks for this. I'm at NEL|B and posted a related thread.

It may be premature, but do you think BU or BC is worth the app for a New England student in the top 10% or 5% of their class? Only transcript grade first semester was an A. The three other advisory grades were A-,A-, B/B+ on a B curve. Three other classes will be on the final transcript. Of course, I hope and expect to improve. If current grades were final I'd be 3.68 and in top 10%. Although the registrar might have the info, what's posted only shows GPA for the top 10%. How do students/professors view NEL|B? That might have deserved a PM...sry

Generally, the dream goes BU/BC/Fordham/Northeastern/Brooklyn. I'm applying EA to Brooklyn. I posted earlier that I spoke w/ admissions today and from what I got, there is no deadline and its non-binding.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

jessuf

Postby jessuf » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:08 am

1.) What was your GPA and rank?

2.) How many people in your transfer class?

3.) Would they care if I attended part of undergrad there (re: ties/connections)?

4.) Is integration hard?

5.) How'd you fare in OCI?

6.) Any recommendations for personal statements to help me standout from T2/T1 transfer applicants?

I'm originally from New England and have been contemplating transferring to BU/BC. However, I'm at a TTT down south, and there's not too much data for students transferring from T3/T4 schools. Plus I hear Boston schools take only a handful of transfers?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:22 am

wilc0phan wrote:Thanks for this. I'm at NEL|B and posted a related thread.

It may be premature, but do you think BU or BC is worth the app for a New England student in the top 10% or 5% of their class? Only transcript grade first semester was an A. The three other advisory grades were A-,A-, B/B+ on a B curve. Three other classes will be on the final transcript. Of course, I hope and expect to improve. If current grades were final I'd be 3.68 and in top 10%. Although the registrar might have the info, what's posted only shows GPA for the top 10%. How do students/professors view NEL|B? That might have deserved a PM...sry

Generally, the dream goes BU/BC/Fordham/Northeastern/Brooklyn. I'm applying EA to Brooklyn. I posted earlier that I spoke w/ admissions today and from what I got, there is no deadline and its non-binding.

I appreciate any and all feedback.

Personally, I always feel like the app is worth it where there is a remote chance. If you are in the top 10% at NEL, I would think you would have reason enough to try for BU/BC. If you made top 8-5%, then I would think you would have a good shot at either of those.

My transfer compadres can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think we had one student come from NEL. As transfers...we certainly don't judge each other's schools. Some of the students who were originally at BU just think we came from a different section at BU and for the times where we tell them we are transfers and they ask where, they don't tend to view us any differently. Some have gone the length to say, "and you are here now" as if it didn't matter where my old school was.
Professors are indifferent...anonymous grading helps with that.
If you meant how students/ professors view NEL in general, and not as a transfer student, I really don't know. To be honest, students at BU don't talk about other area law schools other than Harvard and sometimes BC - those are the big competition. The other students coming from area schools like NEL are a drop in the bucket because we aren't competing with the entire class at that school - only the top 10% (in theory...).
Your transfer list is small - five schools. I only had three, but looking back it was pretty naive of me to only have three because the process is such a black box.
I friend of mine who transferred from Northeastern to BU might be willing to chime in on her opinion of whether it is worth it to transfer.
It all depends on what your post-grad goals are.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:46 am

Jessuf wrote:1.) What was your GPA and rank?
3.41 / top 20%
At BU, roughly 30. typically they take 5-15, but they misjudged how many would accept offers this time and ended up with their largest transfer class to-date. Admittedly, that means my acceptance was possibly due to their fluke :D
3.) Would they care if I attended part of undergrad there (re: ties/connections)?
I wouldn't doubt it...ties and connections to the city/ school are helpful, but they won't admit based on that...it's a fluffer. They want to know two basic things: 1) will they do well here? 2) Will they add to the current community? I'm over-simplifying it, but you need to ask yourself, from the school's perspective, how does you going to undergrad there help THEM. They already know you want to go there...but are they your first choice?
4.) Is integration hard?
This is going to vary from school to school. It will depend on the number of transfers and the size of the class. For us, it was easy. The large number of transfers coming into BU allowed us to create our own cliques so we didn't feel ostracized...although, as we found out later, the students at BU never would attempt to ostracize us...they helped us integrate. They would start conversations with us, invite us to parties, social gatherings, etc. The school had lunches just for transfers to eat with the Dean and get to know her. They went above and beyond what I expected from a school as a transfer. At BU, integration was easy. I imagine it isn't the same everywhere.
6 pre-selects, 2 call-backs, no-offered. At one callback with a large firm in NYC, the hiring partner told me he would have offered me if I had done my callback the week before, but that now all the positions were filled. There is a story behind why I didn't interview sooner involving the transfer. The USPS screwed up the delivery of my forwarded mail from my old address. I never got their letter for a callback and I didn't know I had it until two weeks after the interview when I called to follow-up.
6.) Any recommendations for personal statements to help me standout from T2/T1 transfer applicants?
There is no win-all trick to PS. Be honest, explain why you want to transfer, explain why you would be a good fit for the school, and explain what you have to offer the school. They already know that you transferring will help you a lot...don't do much more on that topic than mention it in your PS. Instead, if you have an interest in a unique field of law which they specialize in, talk about how you want to be at the forefront of that field. Alternatively, you can also talk about how you want to do a clerkship and talk about your career goals and explain briefly why BU is central to you meeting those goals. Never come flat out and say "and this will be good for the school too because I'm awesome" - be subtle.
I'm originally from New England and have been contemplating transferring to BU/BC. However, I'm at a TTT down south, and there's not too much data for students transferring from T3/T4 schools. Plus I hear Boston schools take only a handful of transfers?
It's always worth a shot - ties back home when you are currently in an opposite part of the country would have a larger affect than I let-on above. They don't want to think you are blanketing the US News rankings with applications. I don't know about BC, but BU took a lot of transfers, as mentioned above.
Also, I'd recommend taking a look at Arrow's post regarding transferring. It is stickied to the top of the transfer board and was a valuable source of info for me.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:34 pm

OP, glad you got out of your old school. I hope things work out for you at your new place and you can land a solid job. Best of luck.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:OP, glad you got out of your old school. I hope things work out for you at your new place and you can land a solid job. Best of luck.

Thanks romo, what happened to your old avatar?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:36 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:OP, glad you got out of your old school. I hope things work out for you at your new place and you can land a solid job. Best of luck.

Thanks romo, what happened to your old avatar?

Switched it for the time being. The Cowboys suck so bad I wanted to commemorate their suckage. Probably will change it back soon.

bmic

Postby bmic » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:28 pm

As one of Coongrnmen's co-transfers (to BU), I might as well post here too because I am procrastinating... I transferred from a mid 80s school to BU, I might be a little different.

Jessuf wrote:1.) What was your GPA and rank?
I had a 3.58 GPA and my school didn't rank

TC had a pretty good estimate. I think that 30 estimate included LLMs (right?)

I think it would help, especially if you push the location thing in your PS

4.) Is integration hard?
Integration isn't hard, it kind of sucks leaving your 1L friends, but you make new friends. Transfer kids are pretty much like their own little track, but there has been 0 stigma for me.

I got 3 pre-selects (including one in the state I transferred from which was kind of awkward), but no call-backs (I didn't want to do big law anyway! :evil: ). My advice here is to work with CDO to make your cover letters good (mine were pretty bad) and work on interviewing skills.

Definitely push the geographic thing. Half of my paper was talking about what I wanted to do and why I specifically wanted to go to BU (look up some courses or programs they offer and talk about those. I was lucky enough to have a BU professor teach at a Law Preview thing I went to so I talked about that). The other half was just about geography. I talked about how I was from CT, went to school in ME, and ultimately want to practice in New England. There's always the possibility that Personal Statements don't mean anything but letting them know/think that you're not just applying for the rank boost can only help your case.

PS See how nice spaces are Coolgrnmen? They're so aesthetically pleasing! And I'll let Cake know that her opinion is requested.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:39 am

bmic wrote:PS SeehownicespacesareCoolgrnmen? They're so aesthetically pleasing! And I'll let Cake know that her opinion is requested.

Fixed...

Cake was told her opinion was requested a month ago. Maybe you can persuade her with your charms.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:15 pm

Bumping this up since transfer is becoming more relevant for May.

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Tue May 01, 2012 8:53 pm

I received a great LOR from my civ professor...it was very thoughtful, said i was one of the best two or three students in the class of 100, etc...problem is, one sentence in the LOR said "it kills me to lose him to another school, but I understand his wanting to be closer to family". this is not my main or only reason to transfer. Basically, when I asked and met with him I told him I wanted BigLaw, and that one or two of the schools I am applying to is where I'm from and it would be nice to live at home, but I also said BU/BC, and Boston is not where Im from. Will a school be concerned or even notice this slight discrepancy --- that this sentence in the LOR doesn't jive with my PS and what the recommender thought was my reasons to seek a transfer?

wilc0phan

Postby wilc0phan » Thu May 03, 2012 10:52 am

wilc0phan wrote:I received a great LOR from my civ professor...it was very thoughtful, said i was one of the best two or three students in the class of 100, etc...problem is, one sentence in the LOR said "it kills me to lose him to another school, but I understand his wanting to be closer to family". this is not my main or only reason to transfer. Basically, when I asked and met with him I told him I wanted BigLaw, and that one or two of the schools I am applying to is where I'm from and it would be nice to live at home, but I also said BU/BC, and Boston is not where Im from. Will a school be concerned or even notice this slight discrepancy --- that this sentence in the LOR doesn't jive with my PS and what the recommender thought was my reasons to seek a transfer?

bump. concerned.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri May 04, 2012 7:22 pm

wilc0phan wrote:
wilc0phan wrote:I received a great LOR from my civ professor...it was very thoughtful, said i was one of the best two or three students in the class of 100, etc...problem is, one sentence in the LOR said "it kills me to lose him to another school, but I understand his wanting to be closer to family". this is not my main or only reason to transfer. Basically, when I asked and met with him I told him I wanted BigLaw, and that one or two of the schools I am applying to is where I'm from and it would be nice to live at home, but I also said BU/BC, and Boston is not where Im from. Will a school be concerned or even notice this slight discrepancy --- that this sentence in the LOR doesn't jive with my PS and what the recommender thought was my reasons to seek a transfer?

bump. concerned.

Sorry, my last final was today.

The school's admissions read every word and if the discrepancy is there, then perhaps they will notice. Will it adversely affect you? I don't think so, but I really don't know. Honestly, I would consider calling the admissions of the school and seeing what they think. Call anonymously...they won't or shouldn't mind.
I think the admissions committee will pay more attention to the fact that you would be leaving - not that you said you want to be closer to home.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:30 pm

Also a 2L transfer at BU, so I'll chime in as well.

Came from an out of market tier 2.

bceagles182

Postby bceagles182 » Fri May 04, 2012 7:45 pm

Regarding these:

1.) What was your GPA and rank?
I had a 3.66 GPA. Was ranked 18th/247

Agree with the above. ~ 30.

I imagine so. I went to BC and I'm from the area. I received phone calls from both BC and BU admitting me very quickly after applying.

4.) Is integration hard?
Leaving your 1L friends is definitely the worst part. I don't really know the other transfers here though. I have a lot of friends from undergrad in the area so I didn't try too hard to integrate myself. I have a bunch of friends at school come from my secondary journal though.

Did both OCI and the one day NYC event. 7 interviews at NY event spread out across 5 hours (quite a day but very helpful because it lets you get your talking points down pat). For OCI, I had about 25 interviews (all pre-select). I also applied to the DC event (because I worked there 1L summer) but declined the couple interviews I got there. 7 callbacks and 3 offers (2 Boston, 1 NY). Accepted one of the Boston ones.

I just wrote about how badly I wanted to come back to Boston and how I had worked my ass off 1L year for the opportunity to do so. I'm sure it was pretty vanilla, but I never have anything good to say for those -- I don't have some cool story to tell. So I'm not sure my advice is helpful.

Regarding transferring from a Tier 3 or Tier 4, I think most of our transfer class was from t3 or t4.

Return to “Transfers”