UNC 10% + LR v. Duke Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Stay at UNC or go to Duke

Transfer to Duke
37%
Stay at UNC, top 10% + LR
63%

Total votes: 41

plaintiff-appellee

New

UNC 10% + LR v. Duke

Post by plaintiff-appellee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:59 am

Want BL. Thoughts?

blacklawboss

Silver

Re: UNC 10% + LR v. Duke

Post by blacklawboss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:12 am

plaintiff-appellee wrote:Want BL. Thoughts?
Geographic preference?

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:20 am

If big law is your only goal, stay.

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:58 pm

UNC easily. the only reason to go would be for more mobility that duke would give you, but i really don't think it's worth it.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:03 pm

i feel like there should be an unwritten rule that you cant transfer between these two schools...too much bad blood or something

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:14 pm

People who said stay, am I missing something? Big law prospects still aren't that great with 10% at UNC.

blacklawboss

Silver

Post by blacklawboss » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 pm

Corwin wrote:People who said stay, am I missing something? Big law prospects still aren't that great with 10% at UNC.
He's in the top 10% + LR

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:37 pm

blacklawboss wrote:
Corwin wrote:People who said stay, am I missing something? Big law prospects still aren't that great with 10% at UNC.
He's in the top 10% + LR
Yeah to 10% from UNC gets you a job at a NJ250, but last year you needed to be even better than that to get one that paid market rate (top 8%). He has the same prospects at Duke as long as he is above median and much better prospects if he manages to be in the top third of the class.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:40 pm

What's UNC costing you? If you're gonna be giving up a decent scholarship and/or instate tuition, I'd probably stay.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Sutpen

New

Post by Thomas Sutpen » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I was somewhat concerned, until I checked Corwin's profile, which advertises not only that he is a 0L, but also that he's only going to law school if he scores in the 99th percentile of the LSAT. Since, why bother with law school otherwise?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm

They won't be any better if you transfer to Duke, unless you want NYC. If you want the Triangle or Charlotte, Carolina all the way in this situation.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Thomas Sutpen wrote:

I was somewhat concerned, until I checked Corwin's profile, which advertises not only that he is a 0L, but also that he's only going to law school if he scores in the 99th percentile of the LSAT. Since, why bother with law school otherwise?
The reason why I'm not going to law school unless I get a 172+ is for two reasons (1) I have a low UG GPA and wont be able to afford the debt unless I score that well and (2) I have a good job as an engineer that I love and pays really well; no point in leaving it if I can't get into a law school that opens the doors that I want.

In regards to my original comment, I based my response off of the following graph:

You need to be top 8% at UNC to get a market paying biglaw job. If the OP wants big law at market and freedom to move where he wants, transferring to Duke is the right choice. If he has a scholarship at UNC and doesn't mind staying in the area, I can definitely see staying at UNC. He's clearly a bright guy and will do well either way.

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Corwin wrote:
Thomas Sutpen wrote:

The reason why I'm not going to law school unless I get a 172+ is for two reasons (1) I have a low UG GPA and wont be able to afford the debt unless I score that well and (2) I have a good job as an engineer that I love and pays really well; no point in leaving it if I can't get into a law school that opens the doors that I want.

In regards to my original comment, I based my response off of the following graph:

You need to be top 8% at UNC to get a market paying biglaw job. If the OP wants big law at market and freedom to move where he wants, transferring to Duke is the right choice. If he has a scholarship at UNC and doesn't mind staying in the area, I can definitely see staying at UNC. He's clearly a bright guy and will do well either way.
UNC sent roughly eight percent to big law, but I doubt you had to be top 8%. Not everyone who finishes at the top of their class goes to big law, a lot go to gov, clerkships, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Market in Raleigh is 130-135K. UNC was closer to 20% making 130K.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:40 am

dr123 wrote: UNC sent roughly eight percent to big law, but I doubt you had to be top 8%. Not everyone who finishes at the top of their class goes to big law, a lot go to gov, clerkships, etc.
They send ~15% to NJ250, just around half are in markets that pay below 160K. I'm really not trying to rag on UNC. Being top 10% at a school like that and having the opportunities that go along with that is amazing. Not very many law students accomplish that.

plaintiff-appellee

New

Post by plaintiff-appellee » Sun May 17, 2015 2:28 pm

I just thought I would close the loop on this very old thread. I am the OP. I decided to stay at UNC and landed an SA position (and, ultimately an associate position) with a V25 firm in a major market. I am not sure this can be considered a typical outcome--although almost all of my classmates in the top 1/3 or so seem to have found a place to land. A final thought: Even if you can go to law school for free and land a job making market, being a lawyer is kind of a shitty job. I would seriously investigate what your other options are before you commit yourself.

UpandDown97

Bronze

Post by UpandDown97 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:11 pm

plaintiff-appellee wrote: A final thought: Even if you can go to law school for free and land a job making market, being a lawyer is kind of a shitty job. I would seriously investigate what your other options are before you commit yourself.
Care to expand?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun May 17, 2015 3:53 pm

Somehow I doubt it was necessary to resurrect a 4 year old thread for that comment. The OP has long since graduated from either Duke or Carolina.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun May 17, 2015 6:00 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Somehow I doubt it was necessary to resurrect a 4 year old thread for that comment. The OP has long since graduated from either Duke or Carolina.
It was the OP that resurrected the thread. Dayum, read a little, son!

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Whoops. Wow, totally missed that first quoted post. Sorry.

My reading skills have apparently declined since law school!

SquedTheScholar

New

Post by SquedTheScholar » Mon May 18, 2015 12:56 pm

0Ls: the important take away is that it takes top 10% and LR at UNC to land just a V25 (not bad but nowhere near the tip of the spear). OP thinks most of his top third friends landed something (how encouraging). Avoid UNC and other T1 schools unless you have only local aspirations and will incur little to no debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”