Georgetown Transfer Class of 2013 Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sarryn

New

Georgetown Transfer Class of 2013

Post by sarryn » Tue May 17, 2011 9:32 am

Anyone else? :)

I will be attending, and I won't be applying anywhere else.

If transfer students from past years want to stop by and give advice, it would be helpful!

DeSimone

Bronze

Re: Georgetown Transfer Class of 2013

Post by DeSimone » Thu May 19, 2011 10:01 am

Do the transfers have to do the transfer write-on or can EA admits participate in the regular one?

When does OCI start?

out17

New

Post by out17 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:19 pm

Anyone have any housing suggestions/advice??

DeSimone

Bronze

Post by DeSimone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:50 am

Any info on registering for classes?

sarryn

New

Post by sarryn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 am

Check your g-town email. They said they will e-mail out instructions sometime in mid June.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:34 pm

I just hastily over-nighted my application to meet the Wednesday deadline. I'm a part-timer (applying for full time) with a 3.84.

Part of me hopes I don't get in, just to save me the drama of making a decision, ha.

Are they pretty prompt about making there decisions? Although, truth be told law school has turned me into a very patient person (kind of).

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:35 pm

BruinsFan wrote:I just hastily over-nighted my application to meet the Wednesday deadline. I'm a part-timer (applying for full time) with a 3.84.

Part of me hopes I don't get in, just to save me the drama of making a decision, ha.

Are they pretty prompt about making there decisions? Although, truth be told law school has turned me into a very patient person (kind of).
indecisive?

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Br3v wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:I just hastily over-nighted my application to meet the Wednesday deadline. I'm a part-timer (applying for full time) with a 3.84.

indecisive?
You have NO idea. Who knows if I'll even get in, I feel like the chances are pretty slim. The only thing that even really pushed me to apply was the fact that the website said to be competative you needed a B+/A- average.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:31 pm

BruinsFan wrote:
Br3v wrote:

indecisive?
You have NO idea. Who knows if I'll even get in, I feel like the chances are pretty slim. The only thing that even really pushed me to apply was the fact that the website said to be competative you needed a B+/A- average.
They will look at your class ranking and your school's ranking. The higher ranked you school, the lower rank you can be and still get in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:10 pm

Br3v wrote: They will look at your class ranking and your school's ranking. The higher ranked you school, the lower rank you can be and still get in.
What do we think of a 3.84, 5 out of 32 (part time), from of a school in the 60's (used to be in the 50's lol)?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:15 pm

BruinsFan wrote:
Br3v wrote: They will look at your class ranking and your school's ranking. The higher ranked you school, the lower rank you can be and still get in.
What do we think of a 3.84, 5 out of 32 (part time), from of a school in the 60's (used to be in the 50's lol)?
5 of 32? Chances are very slim. But there's still a chance. <20%.

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:23 pm

maf70 wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:
5 of 32? Chances are very slim. But there's still a chance. <20%.
A rank of 5/32 would cut down my chances that much even though I got all A/A-'s. I feel like it has to be more of a toss up than that. Then again, what do I know? It just seemed like the actual grades, rather than rank, might be just as important being that that was the bench mark they used for competitiveness on the site?

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:47 pm

BruinsFan wrote:A rank of 5/32 would cut down my chances that much even though I got all A/A-'s.
Yes. Your class rank will cut your chances. You are outside the Top 15% at a TT. An inflated GPA can't help that. Good luck all the same. If you want to be in DC I would recommend applying to GWU before the deadline.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:20 am

maf70 wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:A rank of 5/32 would cut down my chances that much even though I got all A/A-'s.
Yes. Your class rank will cut your chances. You are outside the Top 15% at a TT. An inflated GPA can't help that. Good luck all the same. If you want to be in DC I would recommend applying to GWU before the deadline.
your class is 32 deep?

atashakor

New

Post by atashakor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:55 am

would i have any chance tier 4 law school, top 5 percent with some softs?

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:58 am

atashakor wrote:would i have any chance tier 4 law school, top 5 percent with some softs?
tier 4?
??
???
????
from what i gather....of t4 exists.....yes

atashakor

New

Post by atashakor » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:09 am

Br3v wrote:
atashakor wrote:would i have any chance tier 4 law school, top 5 percent with some softs?
tier 4?
??
???
????

well this website sorts the school in tier 3 & 4 schools, but other places say Tier 4. I dont get it either.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:46 am

atashakor wrote:
Br3v wrote:
tier 4?
??
???
????

well this website sorts the school in tier 3 & 4 schools, but other places say Tier 4. I dont get it either.
TTTT. very small chance.

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:48 pm

Br3v wrote:
maf70 wrote:
your class is 32 deep?
Yea, I'm in a part time program, just the 32 of us. We started out with around 50; a lot of people didn't come back after first semester.

Also, I'm no math whiz, but I think 5/32 is the top 15.6%.

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:37 pm

BruinsFan wrote:
Br3v wrote:
maf70 wrote:
your class is 32 deep?
Yea, I'm in a part time program, just the 32 of us. We started out with around 50; a lot of people didn't come back after first semester.

Also, I'm no math whiz, but I think 5/32 is the top 15.6%.
:roll:
Sounds like your program has ridiculously inflated GPAs. It can't be that hard to get a 3.82 if more than 15% of the class has one... especially since most of the schools with PT programs aren't very highly ranked and PT programs are less work than FT programs (because you are taking fewer credits).

For reference, I'm top 8% with a 3.66.

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:18 pm

bceagles182 wrote: :roll:
Sounds like your program has ridiculously inflated GPAs. It can't be that hard to get a 3.82 if more than 15% of the class has one... especially since most of the schools with PT programs aren't very highly ranked and PT programs are less work than FT programs (because you are taking fewer credits).

I feel like my school is a pretty solid regional T2. We take our classes with a full time section and are curved together, but ranked seperately. There are 85 or so people in my classes, with a 3.0 curve, I think about 16 - 20 people can receive higher than a B+ (out of both the part time section and the full time section). Most of the part-timers worked (I did), I'd say all but 6 of 7 worked. In terms of it being "less work," it just depends on your definition of work. Having a boss that doesn't give a crap that you have a midterm on monday, a brief due, or a hundred pages of reading (on top of meeting your work deadlines) can be very stressful. It's just two different tracks, neither are easy; unless you go part time and don't work (but in my experience then you aren't getting the A's anyway).

And, while the top 10% mark for my part time section is a 3.92, the middle 50% mark is the same as the full time section (about a 3.0). It's just the funny, curve you together and rank everyone seperately that makes it seem like we arne't on a B curve just like everyone else. I, also, think they are probably going to curve and rank the part timers seperately next year (in case anyone was wondering).

Either way, I still had to earn my A's (even though everyone seems skeptical about that).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

maf70

Bronze

Post by maf70 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 pm

BruinsFan wrote:
bceagles182 wrote: :roll:

I feel like my school is a pretty solid regional T2. We take our classes with a full time section and are curved together, but ranked seperately. There are 85 or so people in my classes, with a 3.0 curve, I think about 16 - 20 people can receive higher than a B+ (out of both the part time section and the full time section). Most of the part-timers worked (I did), I'd say all but 6 of 7 worked. In terms of it being "less work," it just depends on your definition of work. Having a boss that doesn't give a crap that you have a midterm on monday, a brief due, or a hundred pages of reading (on top of meeting your work deadlines) can be very stressful. It's just two different tracks, neither are easy; unless you go part time and don't work (but in my experience then you aren't getting the A's anyway).

And, while the top 10% mark for my part time section is a 3.92, the middle 50% mark is the same as the full time section (about a 3.0). It's just the funny, curve you together and rank everyone seperately that makes it seem like we arne't on a B curve just like everyone else. I, also, think they are probably going to curve and rank the part timers seperately next year (in case anyone was wondering).

Either way, I still had to earn my A's (even though everyone seems skeptical about that).
By no means was I trying to say that you didn't work for your A's or that PT was any easier than FT programs. I was just saying that your rank is what matters...a high GPA doesnt really tell the adcoms anything. Also, anything > 15% is not Top 15%. You're Top 16%.

Are you applying to any other schools or do you have your heart solely set on GULC?

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:46 pm

I don't really have my heart set on GULC. I just 1. don't have a scholarhip (I also don't pay for any living expenses). 2. Barely missed grading onto law review (although, we haven't heard either way yet) and 3. figured it was worth a shot. I didn't apply to transfer anywhere else. I actually really like my school and how everything is going/would only consider leaving for a school like GULC.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Just got my username and password to the admitted students website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

starchinkilt

Bronze

Post by starchinkilt » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:55 pm

Regionality wrote:Just got my username and password to the admitted students website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congrats!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”