UC Hastings to GW Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nikin

New

UC Hastings to GW

Post by nikin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:14 pm

My first time posting on this Forum. I am a 1L at UC Hastings, love the school, absolutely hate San Francisco. I am originally from the east coast and really want to return. I am setting my sites on GW? Anyone have advice/ information. I am currently right at about middle of my class. Think I can get good LOR? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input!

maf70

Bronze

Re: UC Hastings to GW

Post by maf70 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 pm

At middle of your class you don't have much of a shot. Although it's not a huge jump, I would guess you need Top 30% to make the move. As far as a good LOR goes, only you really know whether you can get one, though it might be tough to get the exceptional letter you might need unless you excelled in some particular class or you are really close with a professor. If you want to get back to the east coast, you might have to transfer down.

lovelaw27

Bronze

Post by lovelaw27 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:30 pm

nikin wrote:My first time posting on this Forum. I am a 1L at UC Hastings, love the school, absolutely hate San Francisco. I am originally from the east coast and really want to return. I am setting my sites on GW? Anyone have advice/ information. I am currently right at about middle of my class. Think I can get good LOR? Any thoughts?

Thanks for the input!
I think you probably need top 40% minimum for a lateral transfer to have a decent shot. To have a shot at transferring to GW you will probably need closer to top third. A little off topic but since you were from the east coast and have now lived on the west coast how would you compare and contrast the two. I am really curious about this. I am from the midwest and have lived in San Francisco. However, I have never lived on the east coast.

nikin

New

Post by nikin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:49 pm

I think you probably need top 40% minimum for a lateral transfer to have a decent shot. To have a shot at transferring to GW you will probably need closer to top third. A little off topic but since you were from the east coast and have now lived on the west coast how would you compare and contrast the two. I am really curious about this. I am from the midwest and have lived in San Francisco. However, I have never lived on the east coast.[/quote]

I personally prefer the east coast. I would be happy with NYC, DC, Atlanta. However some people are so happy on the west coast. Especially San Francisco, it is way too laid back for me though, there is a good job market also. Something about the west that is just so different than the east and I can't quite put my finger on it.

nikin

New

Post by nikin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:50 pm

maf70 wrote:At middle of your class you don't have much of a shot. Although it's not a huge jump, I would guess you need Top 30% to make the move. As far as a good LOR goes, only you really know whether you can get one, though it might be tough to get the exceptional letter you might need unless you excelled in some particular class or you are really close with a professor. If you want to get back to the east coast, you might have to transfer down.
Thoughts on American and Cardozo then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thexfactor

Silver

Post by thexfactor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:31 pm

nikin wrote:
maf70 wrote:At middle of your class you don't have much of a shot. Although it's not a huge jump, I would guess you need Top 30% to make the move. As far as a good LOR goes, only you really know whether you can get one, though it might be tough to get the exceptional letter you might need unless you excelled in some particular class or you are really close with a professor. If you want to get back to the east coast, you might have to transfer down.
bad idea...
i dont think transferring down a solid step is the way to go. Worry about getting a job first. Then worry about location

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:05 am

thexfactor wrote:
nikin wrote:
bad idea...
i dont think transferring down a solid step is the way to go. Worry about getting a job first. Then worry about location
I think this depends on how much you hate SF...if you seriously can't imagine your first job being in the bay area or even California, then you've got serious issues since being in the middle of your class at Hastings certainly won't give you any national marketability...

On the other hand, being in the middle of your class at Hastings probably won't allow you to transfer up much, if at all.

I think you need to weigh location vs. career prospects and decide for yourself which you want more. Cardozo, American, Connecticut, etc might be possibilities for transferring to...though they don't offer excellent career prospects themselves...

Tough call...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”