1L looking to transfer and join MBA program Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
CoryMatthews

New

1L looking to transfer and join MBA program

Post by CoryMatthews » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:15 pm

I know it may be somewhat early for this kind of talk but I am looking to transfer somewhere closer to home (hopefully Rutger Newark). I am also hoping to apply for and get accepted into the MBA program (joint degree). Does anyone have any advice in regards to when I should start studying for the GMAT, when I should take the test, when I should apply, should I apply for both programs at the same time...etc.

As always, any help is much appreciated!

Grizz

Diamond

Re: 1L looking to transfer and join MBA program

Post by Grizz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:17 pm

Drop out now and reapply to Rutgers next year.

Mr Feeny

New

Post by Mr Feeny » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:13 pm

rad law wrote:Drop out now and reapply to Rutgers next year.
Your life is that terrible huh?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:52 pm

Mr Feeny wrote:
rad law wrote:Drop out now and reapply to Rutgers next year.
Your life is that terrible huh?
lol wut

My life rules.

It just makes more sense to drop out and go next year than to try to transfer, a difficult process in and of itself. If you do transfer, you will lose your class ranks and many contacts and relationships you have formed at your previous school. Just not a great idea.

judgeholden

New

Post by judgeholden » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm not as opposed to transferring. I kicked myself all 3L for not transferring during 1L when people with lesser grades than I found their way into Columbia.

But transferring and applying to an MBA program is a lot to take on at once, and I'm not convinced every school will allow it.
But Rutger's? Really? I suppose it's really only an added year, but Rutger's MBA isn't really worth the paper it's printed on.

From my experience a top MBA is more valuable than a top JD, but around the rankings of 30 or so it flipflops. Graduate with a shitty JD and you're still able to throw a shingle out, arguably. Graduate with a shitty MBA and at best no one cares, at worst you're overeducated and underexperienced for most jobs.

Since you're posting here I'm assuming your emphasis is on the JD part and you're hoping the MBA part distinguishes you. I can't speak to that. Talk to admissions and see if there are any JD/MBA alumni you can speak with from whatever schools you're looking at.
My experience is solely with Duke, and I can say that every JD/MBA in my class went the MBA route with his career with one exception, and that exception hated law so much that he actually ditched his 2L OCI interviews to pursue the MBA route. I don't know how he ended up back in law, but I think that the 2009 summer MBA internship hunt was a bloodbath for him yet law firms were showing interest, so he kind of defaulted there as the road more easily traveled.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:05 am

Every joint degree JD/MBA program that I have heard of would require you to apply during your first year in law school. If you transfer, you'll be a 2L and ineligible to apply unless you know exactly where you wanna transfer to and somehow apply this year to their MBA program (and I am not sure if they'd allow this or not).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”