Official Transfer What Are My Chances Thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seespotrun

Gold

Re: Official Transfer What Are My Chances Thread

Post by seespotrun » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:40 am

habaptist wrote:top 4% at midwest T2, URM, federal judge internship / civil liberties firm internship for summer, LR grade on, Moot Court, several student groups, history of activism, compelling reason to transfer (fiance in the general area)
Undergrad stats: 3.95
LSAT: 163

Applied to:
Harvard
Yale
Boston College
HY are probably out, although you have an outside shot at H. You're auto at BC, though. Good luck.

NICOLE0923

New

Post by NICOLE0923 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:49 pm

T4 (duquesne), top 5%, LR grade on, federal judicial internship this summer, low socio-economic status, prior work experience, background in international study & volunteer work, looking to get into international human rights.

undergrad gpa 3.5 / lsat 152

so far i'm in at american, but still waiting on:

georgetown
gw
loyola-chicago
chicago-kent
fordham
brooklyn
cardozo
hofstra
mcgeorge
pepperdine

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 pm

Top 4 percenters at T2s have outside chances at Harvard? I don't really think so.

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:02 am

T-4 (Thurgood Marshall Law School)

Top 12%

Transfer Attempts:

University of Houston Law Center #59 (Will know next week)

UT-Austin #15 (Long Shot but I have to try)

Texas Tech T-3 (Everyone says that I'll be in easily but who knows)

I really hate my school; anyone 0Ls out there...if you are accepted to other private schools with a higher price tag and left with another school like this one CHOOSE the higher price tag law school.

I hope to specifically hear from a'nold and x factor since they seem to be on here a lot.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:06 am

NICOLE0923 wrote:T4 (duquesne), top 5%, LR grade on, federal judicial internship this summer, low socio-economic status, prior work experience, background in international study & volunteer work, looking to get into international human rights.

undergrad gpa 3.5 / lsat 152

so far i'm in at american, but still waiting on:

georgetown
gw
loyola-chicago
chicago-kent
fordham
brooklyn
cardozo
hofstra
mcgeorge
pepperdine

WHAT ARE MY CHANCES?
I don't understand you at all. You basically need a time machine to make this even somewhat work out for you.

For one thing, more than half of your apps aimed WAY too low. You should have plastered Columbia on down to WUSTL, picking and choosing which schools you think you have the best shot at. Hofstra? Are you kidding me?

For another thing, I hear that Duquesne places very well in Pittsburg so you would be absolutely NUTS to give up top 5% + LR at Duquesne for somewhere like Loyola Chicago. You obviously have not done your homework and it is seriously freaking me out. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:56 am

When I first applied I felt I was a lock for some good schools. I have yet to hear anything. Anyways, T3 ranked 2/1xx. Grade on to Law Review and a few high A awards. Solid rec letters and lots of work experience prior to law school.
Applied to:
Chicago
Columbia
Michigan
Georgetown
Penn
Cornell
Virginia
Vanderbilt

IN at Ohio State. Grew up in Columbus (most family and friends are still there) and went to Ohio State for UG. Anyways, what are my chances?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:55 am

Maybe I missed it but where did Nicole say that she wants to work in Pittsburgh? Or are you just saying that she'd be stupid to leave any school that places well in any city when she's at the top of that school's class?

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:05 am

I think he meant that its better to be able to get a job in Pittsburgh than not get a job elsewhere.

NICOLE0923

New

Post by NICOLE0923 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 am

um YOUR message is freaking ME out, a'nold.

i do not want to stay in pittsburgh. it's a miserable city and duquesne is equally insufferable for obvious reasons. i am interested in practicing in a big city, or possibly abroad.

i figured i had no chance of transferring to columbia and similarly-ranked schools. i've been an evening division student for two years, and although i am at the top of my class, and i've earned mostly A's, I have a D+, C+ and a C on my transcript that i don't feel would be looked up very favorably by these schools.

additionally, i scored a 152 lsat. i know the lsat is just a predictor of first year performance, but i believe i'm not mistaken when i say that schools DO consider it in the transfer process.

so, what? am i still insane for not having applied to better schools? does this mean my chances at georgetown / gw are better than i thought?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:21 am

Nicole, I don't think that transfer schools are freaking out about C's you got in college. I mean, I failed out of college my freshman year, finished with a 2.72 GPA, and I was still an autoadmit at Georgetown. For transfer, I mean. College is the past. LSATs don't seem to play a huge role in transfer either, there are people in the 150s who got into Chicago early decision, and I'm sure people with similar scores have gotten into other top schools as well.

NICOLE0923

New

Post by NICOLE0923 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:28 am

traydeuce wrote:Nicole, I don't think that transfer schools are freaking out about C's you got in college. I mean, I failed out of college my freshman year, finished with a 2.72 GPA, and I was still an autoadmit at Georgetown. For transfer, I mean. College is the past. LSATs don't seem to play a huge role in transfer either, there are people in the 150s who got into Chicago early decision, and I'm sure people with similar scores have gotten into other top schools as well.
actually, traydeuce, i got a D+, C, and C+ in torts, basic fed income tax, and property. though, i've received A's in six other classes.

duquesne grades on a C curve, which is why i am able to receive these god-awful grades and still be at the top of the class.

seewhatimean?

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:36 am

Well, that is a problem... but still, it's a C curve and you're in the top 5%. Two of those grades are just your school's average grades. You think that would terrify employers though. Can't imagine why they'd curve like that.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:39 am

:shock: A C curve? Incredible...

Who do they think they're fooling really? Any employer would handle those transcripts like they were toxic.

Regarding your question about Georgetown/GW though, I don't think your chances are very strong with the former, but you may get in to the latter. Speaking as a GW student (for now...), our transfer class is obviously large, and we generally like to mingle them up a bit.
Last edited by Machine Spirit on Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NICOLE0923

New

Post by NICOLE0923 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:42 am

thank you. i know! it's completely nonsensical. especially because pitt grades on a b curve.

so, i'm ok with the schools i've selected? there's no way columbia, northwestern & co. would accept me, given my grades, right? that ar'nold fellow caused me to freak out a bit.

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:16 am

NICOLE0923 wrote: so, i'm ok with the schools i've selected? there's no way columbia, northwestern & co. would accept me, given my grades, right? that ar'nold fellow caused me to freak out a bit.
Well, you can't fault Ar'nold for being an optimist I suppose (though I wish he'd extend that optimism to himself and be less self-critiquing). In any case, I'd say that, given those few grades you mentioned, schools akin to Columbia or NW would likely not offer acceptances. But then, Ar'nold only said otherwise prior to you having revealed those particular grades...

I'd say your choices, though a bit eclectic, are a nice sampling that runs the range from reach to relatively safe. GULC and Fordham are clear reaches. GW is up there as well. However, as I said before, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if you hear good news from GW. The same with Cardozo, Loyola, and Pepperdine (better chances there than with GW). Don't hold me to that though...

NICOLE0923

New

Post by NICOLE0923 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:21 am

ok. and yeah, i suppose i should have mentioned those grades. thank you kindly for your input.

documentaryjunkie

New

Post by documentaryjunkie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:25 am

It doesn't really matter what might have been. Things are what they are, and it seems that you made smart decisions to apply to a range of schools to guarantee a successful transfer. Good luck. As far as GW goes, I'm not going to return a seat deposit by the 15th deadline so theres one more seat open

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bankhead

Silver

Post by Bankhead » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:26 am

Pittsburgh is NOT a miserable city! Though if I went there strictly to attend a TTTT I would think the exact samet hing...

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:28 am

documentaryjunkie wrote:As far as GW goes, I'm not going to return a seat deposit by the 15th deadline so theres one more seat open
And I'm probably leaving, so there's another, lol.

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:29 am

Welp2277 wrote:When I first applied I felt I was a lock for some good schools. I have yet to hear anything. Anyways, T3 ranked 2/1xx. Grade on to Law Review and a few high A awards. Solid rec letters and lots of work experience prior to law school.
Applied to:
Chicago
Columbia
Michigan
Georgetown
Penn
Cornell
Virginia
Vanderbilt

IN at Ohio State. Grew up in Columbus (most family and friends are still there) and went to Ohio State for UG. Anyways, what are my chances?
Anyone wanna help? I feel like it's getting late and worrying a bit.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:35 am

Yep, a D+ and those C-'s are a likely a game changer, although they shouldn't be based on your curve, unfortunately. Plus the two year part time thing.

Still, I think schools like McGeorge would not make transferring worthwhile.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mmribail

New

Post by mmribail » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:40 am

T-4 (Thurgood Marshall Law School)

Top 12%

Transfer Attempts:

University of Houston Law Center #59 (Will know next week)

UT-Austin #15 (Long Shot but I have to try)

Texas Tech T-3 (Everyone says that I'll be in easily but who knows)

I really hate my school; anyone 0Ls out there...if you are accepted to other private schools with a higher price tag and left with another school like this one CHOOSE the higher price tag law school.

I hope to specifically hear from a'nold and x factor since they seem to be on here a lot.

update: IN at Texas Tech (I guess that was an automatic type of thing after all)

Machine Spirit

Bronze

Post by Machine Spirit » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:42 am

Welp2277 wrote:Anyone wanna help? I feel like it's getting late and worrying a bit.
Well, you didn't really leave yourself a lot of wiggle-room (Aside from Ohio State).

That being said, don't worry too much about the "late" date, the vast majority of people haven't heard back yet. Your stats are impressive, don't be so flustered.

Welp2277

New

Post by Welp2277 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 am

Machine Spirit wrote:
Welp2277 wrote:Anyone wanna help? I feel like it's getting late and worrying a bit.
Well, you didn't really leave yourself a lot of wiggle-room (Aside from Ohio State).

That being said, don't worry too much about the "late" date, the vast majority of people haven't heard back yet. Your stats are impressive, don't be so flustered.
Thanks, it just seems like a lot of people have heard back at many of the top schools. My grades took forever to come in (due to both administrative incompetence and one professors refusal to do any sort of grading) so I was late to the party.

documentaryjunkie

New

Post by documentaryjunkie » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 pm

Machine Spirit wrote:
documentaryjunkie wrote:As far as GW goes, I'm not going to return a seat deposit by the 15th deadline so theres one more seat open
And I'm probably leaving, so there's another, lol.

Thats awesome! Where to Machine Spirit?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”