Transfer Application Timeline Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
phishskier41

New

Transfer Application Timeline

Post by phishskier41 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm

It seems a fair amount of school's transfer applications become active on April 1. Does anyone know if there is any advantage to sending in all the materials earlier then after the school year ends considering a school will not likely make a decision till after spring grades are received anyway?

Thanks.

ZXCVBNM

Bronze

Re: Transfer Application Timeline

Post by ZXCVBNM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:48 pm

just that you'll have everything ready when grades come out

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:54 pm

This thread seems like a good place to list the top schools and their various deadlines.

*touches nose* not it!

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:08 am

I'll admit i had a spreadsheet made in excell with most of that data (dates, deposits, law review options, etc) haha, If i have time later on in the week maybe I can make a post with all of it.

UCLAtransfer

Bronze

Post by UCLAtransfer » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:53 am

ZXCVBNM wrote:just that you'll have everything ready when grades come out
Agreed. I don't know if being early matters as much as regular law school admissions, but I wasn't willing to risk it. I had everything completely ready by the time grades came out so that I was able to apply that same day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 pm

Yeah, I'll have all my stuff ready to go by the time grades come out.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

ONe thing im slightly worried about, is I hear that my school is pretty bad about getting grades out in the spring, and evne worse about class rank. Last year I guess class rank didn't come out till late june, which sucks for me trying to get in some of these apps with Mid june deadlines.

engineer

Bronze

Post by engineer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:26 am

My brief is due on Apr. 5 and I have oral arguments that week. As soon as I'm finished with all of that, I should have a week downtime before the finals crunch. I'll definitely be creating a spreadsheet (which I'll upload here) for the T14, since I've decided that I'm just going to blanket apply to all of them. It's a ~$2,000 roulette wheel spin, but I'd be vastly better off at any of those schools than where I currently am (except maybe Cornell; I couldn't do that to myself.)

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 pm

engineer wrote:My brief is due on Apr. 5 and I have oral arguments that week. As soon as I'm finished with all of that, I should have a week downtime before the finals crunch. I'll definitely be creating a spreadsheet (which I'll upload here) for the T14, since I've decided that I'm just going to blanket apply to all of them. It's a ~$2,000 roulette wheel spin, but I'd be vastly better off at any of those schools than where I currently am (except maybe Cornell; I couldn't do that to myself.)
Why not? I know its got that certain reputation, is located in Ithaca, Andy Bernard went there, and has supposedly the hardest working students...but it is a t14-ivy league school. Just wondering - because if thats the only place i get in, i plan on going for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:10 pm

I doubt there is any advantage to applying earlier. Plus it is really difficult to determiine where you should apply before you have all your grades. I don't know about your guys's schools, but at my old school whether you get one or two A-s in a semester made the difference between top 2% (really good transfer odds at most schools) or top 6-7% (not so good transfer odds at a lot of schools). It's a really tight timeframe though. I applied around 3rd week of June right before applications were due, got in around 2nd or 3rd week of July, celebrated for about a week, and then started freaking out about finding a place to live, getting out of my old lease, and getting everything situated from financial aid, to picking classes, etc in the following 2 weeks, and orientation was mid August. It's a really, really tight timeline. Just be sure to have your LORs all uploaded on LSAC, and your personal statement together because the actual applications don't take very long at all.

DeweyWins

New

Post by DeweyWins » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:19 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:I doubt there is any advantage to applying earlier. Plus it is really difficult to determiine where you should apply before you have all your grades. I don't know about your guys's schools, but at my old school whether you get one or two A-s in a semester made the difference between top 2% (really good transfer odds at most schools) or top 6-7% (not so good transfer odds at a lot of schools). It's a really tight timeframe though. I applied around 3rd week of June right before applications were due, got in around 2nd or 3rd week of July, celebrated for about a week, and then started freaking out about finding a place to live, getting out of my old lease, and getting everything situated from financial aid, to picking classes, etc in the following 2 weeks, and orientation was mid August. It's a really, really tight timeline. Just be sure to have your LORs all uploaded on LSAC, and your personal statement together because the actual applications don't take very long at all.
When you received your second semester grades, did you send your transcript to LSAC, or directly to the schools you applied to?

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:32 pm

DeweyWins wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:I doubt there is any advantage to applying earlier. Plus it is really difficult to determiine where you should apply before you have all your grades. I don't know about your guys's schools, but at my old school whether you get one or two A-s in a semester made the difference between top 2% (really good transfer odds at most schools) or top 6-7% (not so good transfer odds at a lot of schools). It's a really tight timeframe though. I applied around 3rd week of June right before applications were due, got in around 2nd or 3rd week of July, celebrated for about a week, and then started freaking out about finding a place to live, getting out of my old lease, and getting everything situated from financial aid, to picking classes, etc in the following 2 weeks, and orientation was mid August. It's a really, really tight timeline. Just be sure to have your LORs all uploaded on LSAC, and your personal statement together because the actual applications don't take very long at all.
When you received your second semester grades, did you send your transcript to LSAC, or directly to the schools you applied to?
I sent them directly to the schools.

luckyjd

Bronze

Post by luckyjd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:50 pm

kings84_wr wrote:I'll admit i had a spreadsheet made in excell with most of that data (dates, deposits, law review options, etc) haha, If i have time later on in the week maybe I can make a post with all of it.
can u upload it somewhere and provide link? :) much appreciated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:55 pm

TITCR. If I stay at top 4% or better, I will be hitting up a lot of t14's. If I drop to 5-10%, my target schools will switch to the bottom of the t14 through some strong regional schools.

jacana

New

Post by jacana » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:00 pm

But what about the school's certification form?
I noticed that GULC's form requires full year's grade and class rank. What are you guys gonna do, go back to your law school and get this form signed after grades come out?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”