Official Georgetown EA thread Forum

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
transferhopeful12

New

Re: Official Georgetown EA thread

Post by transferhopeful12 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:13 pm

JR00576 wrote:Hey everyone. I am Top 5% at a T-30 school. Now I know normally this would make me pretty much a lock at GULC EA, but do you think it will be different this year because of the economy? Also, a lot of people at my school are applying EA to Gtown. Do you think this will make it harder for me to get in? Thanks for your time!
People have been discussing the effect of the economy on transfers in other threads but I would think that it wouldn't have too great an effect this year. If someone was really concerned wouldn't they stay where they are and take a hefty scholarship?

This is somewhat anecdotal but I would think you shouldn't have any problem getting in. Unless what you mean by "a lot of people" is every single person in the class ahead of you, but even then I think you're good. I am trying to transfer from a T-20 and I only know of 1 other person applying. Though I'm sure the numbers of transfer applicants increase as school rank decreases, I doubt there will be an explosion of kids from schools 15-30 applying.

JR00576

New

Post by JR00576 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks for the advice. I think I am fifth or sixth in my class, and I am pretty sure everyone in front of me will be applying. Do you think GULC doesn't like taking to many people from the same school?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:46 pm

JR00576 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think I am fifth or sixth in my class, and I am pretty sure everyone in front of me will be applying. Do you think GULC doesn't like taking to many people from the same school?
Are you serious????? Why is everyone so anxious to get out of your T30? I am honestly hoping that you are just trying to freak everyone out. One thing that I actually do think that the people in front of you and maybe you might have to worry about is having grades that are too good. Because all of you are basically a lock for higher ranked schools and all have a really good shot at the top3, GULC might defer. It sounds ridiculous but apparently does happen there.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Seriously if the top 5 in front of you are thinking about leaving it may not be the end of the world to stay, and be number 1 lol.

Edit to add: at IU I think there are only 2 or 3 people applying to transfer, and Id be amazed if there were very many others that I havn't heard about.

transferhopeful12

New

Post by transferhopeful12 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:25 pm

JR00576 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I think I am fifth or sixth in my class, and I am pretty sure everyone in front of me will be applying. Do you think GULC doesn't like taking to many people from the same school?
Have you spoken to them? I think its common to be anxious and feel like everyone in the top 10% of every school is applying, but obviously this doesn't happen. Either way, I think you're in great shape.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:35 pm

I haven't heard of anyone else applying for GULC EA. The only other person who knows it is even an option (and only because I told him about it) is #1, and he told me he isn't doing GULC EA (for a lot of good reasons).

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:09 am

The GULC web page says that the personal statement should include your reason for transfer. However, there are no other specifications. Does anyone know if there is a page limit or recommendation?

Also, I'm considering using my PS from last cycle, and just modifying the ending to explain why I want to transfer. I guess that the alternative is to write a PS just explaining why I want to transfer. How are you guys going about this?

Thanks!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:14 am

Journeybound wrote:The GULC web page says that the personal statement should include your reason for transfer. However, there are no other specifications. Does anyone know if there is a page limit or recommendation?

Also, I'm considering using my PS from last cycle, and just modifying the ending to explain why I want to transfer. I guess that the alternative is to write a PS just explaining why I want to transfer. How are you guys going about this?

Thanks!
I don't have the cite but I'm pretty sure GULC's website says that they do not believe in page limits and to use your own discretion.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:13 am

Journeybound wrote:The GULC web page says that the personal statement should include your reason for transfer. However, there are no other specifications. Does anyone know if there is a page limit or recommendation?

Thanks!
A new PS is a really good idea, if only because adcoms will be able to tell it's old otherwise. You don't necessarily need to write about why you want to transfer, but including something about your law school experience seems like a really solid idea.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hithere12321

New

Post by hithere12321 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Has anyone who've sent in their application and everything gone "complete" yet? All my letters of Rec are showing on the status check, along with "application received." And everything was in by Feb. 15th.

GooseGTI

New

Post by GooseGTI » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:19 pm

I went complete end of last week, but it took a couple of calls to the admissions office. Anyone else gone complete yet?

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Complete last Friday (2/26). Hithere, I wouldn't worry, they are definitely moving slow. I sent in my PS, resume and app through LSAC on 2/1, transcript and cert. form were mailed in January, and my LoR was sent by my prof on 2/3, so I'm guessing all my materials were there by 2/8 at the latest. My LoR didn't show up as received until 2/23 (2 weeks after). I know the snow definitely slowed them down a lot. I bet you will be complete by the end of the week

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:02 pm

I have a feeling i may get pretty close to the deadline.

Did GULC notify you guys about the Cert form being received?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:34 pm

Just sent my application in.
[PT student, T2 (80's), 3.9, #1 in my class]

Was trying to wait for my 2nd LOR but figured it was time to send it in. Gave the transfer form to my current school last week.

I should make it in time for the deadline......right?

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Post by Lawl Shcool » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:13 pm

stinger35 wrote:Just sent my application in.
[PT student, T2 (80's), 3.9, #1 in my class]

Was trying to wait for my 2nd LOR but figured it was time to send it in. Gave the transfer form to my current school last week.

I should make it in time for the deadline......right?
I am in the same boat waiting on the second LOR. I think they are understanding that this process depends on how quickly a third parties can get stuff together for you. I am hoping to submit by this wednesday and trying to stay positive.

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:59 pm

are you guys sending the letters to LSAC or directly to GULC?

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:13 pm

kings84_wr wrote:are you guys sending the letters to LSAC or directly to GULC?
LSAC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:14 pm

I am now pretty much wishing that I had sent my transcript directly......Ahhh!

stinger35

Silver

Post by stinger35 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:28 pm

2 things:

1. How long after you guys submitted your application did you receive your password/notification that it was received?

2. Does anyone know approximately when/how acceptances/rejections are received? I have seen anywhere from early April to Mid-May. I am guessing acceptances are by email, rejections by snail, is that correct?

kings84_wr

Silver

Post by kings84_wr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:30 pm

stinger35 wrote:2 things:

1. How long after you guys submitted your application did you receive your password/notification that it was received?

2. Does anyone know approximately when/how acceptances/rejections are received? I have seen anywhere from early April to Mid-May. I am guessing acceptances are by email, rejections by snail, is that correct?
Last year I think it was Mid april.

You also have to worry about deferrals and Waitlists.

GooseGTI

New

Post by GooseGTI » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:23 pm

I received a username and password pretty quickly (3 or 4 days tops). I sent my LORs through LSAC, but had my law school send the transcripts and letter of good standing/transfer cert. directly. After that it was probably another 10 days before I went "complete". I know from talking to the admissions office that they are moving slow (understandable as they were shut down for an entire week).
As far as I know aside from 'guessing' based on when you go to decision, all official decisions, including acceptances, are sent via snail mail.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Client8

New

Post by Client8 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Paranoia in me:

Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 2/24/2010

This means ALL my application materials have been received, correct? Don't want to bombard the GULC office w/ more inquiries, but I piecemailed some of my app materials so just want to make sure all other's who are "complete" also have this same status.

GL!

bkthunder

Bronze

Post by bkthunder » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:50 pm

Client8 wrote:Paranoia in me:

Current Status: Application Completed
Current Status Date: 2/24/2010

This means ALL my application materials have been received, correct? Don't want to bombard the GULC office w/ more inquiries, but I piecemailed some of my app materials so just want to make sure all other's who are "complete" also have this same status.

GL!
I hope so, as I piecemailed as well and am looking at the exact same thing (but current status date of 2/26). Kinda ironic that we can't be positive what this actually means since the status check was probably created to clear up confusion of this sort

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah, I'm afraid they are going to say "completed" and still not have my trascript or something. Yep, we are a paranoid bunch.

Journeybound

Bronze

Post by Journeybound » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:20 am

So I have everything ready at LSAC, except for my personal statement. But that should upload instantly. Right now I'm working on my PS, and I anticipate that I should be ready in the next day or so. Is there any reason to rush? Will it take more than two weeks for me to go complete if I submit everything via LSAC? My school sent the standard good standing form from GULC in like a week ago, so I'm good in that department. Is there a reason everyone is rushing? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Transfers”