Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

A forum for those current students who are or may be transferring from one school to another. Post any questions, advice, or other transfer related comments here.
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only available to the creator of each thread. The anonymous posting feature is intended to permit the solicitation of anonymous advice regarding the transfer application process, chances of being accepted, etc. Unacceptable uses include: testing the feature, questions which are clearly fake or hypothetical in nature, harassing other users, etc. Posters should also read and understand the announcements posted at the top of the Transfers forum prior to using the anonymous feature.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
megaTTTron

Silver
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:46 pm

This thread is for 1Ls who kicked butt on first semester exams.

A big question most likely going through your mind is - should I transfer? You could stay and own what's left of OCI, or transfer to a T14 and start over. I know that there are respected proponents on each side: Stay (OperaSoprano) v. Go (Arrow).

This thread is for us to discuss the pros and cons, or any other components that would be relevant for us to make a decision.

For anyone even considering transferring PLEASE read this amazing post by Arrow: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=82937

For some the move could be motivated by region.
Others may be motivated by a particular program.
And some who straight 4.0'd may wish to live the HYS dream.

Another HUGE aspect is $$$. Many of us (although not I) are receiving phatty scholarships from our present institutions. Some schools (again, sadly not mine) offer 2L scholarships based on 1L performance, as well.

At this point I'm not sure what I'll do, I love my T30, but there is no denying the opportunity a T14 presents.

What does everyone think?

User avatar
apper123

Silver
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:52 pm

I think another good discussion point is Chicago ED, and that's a decision I'm faced with right now.

I finished top 3 % at my mid-level T2, and I'm thinking of throwing an app at Chicago ED. I don't think I'll get in at first pass, but I think it will set me up well for regular decision.

However, my fear is that I do get in and either a) bomb exams somehow, getting myself out of Chicago and having to sacrifice (if I get in) a GULC EA acceptance or b) decide I really want to stay.

Thoughts? What are my odds at GULC EA vs. Chicago ED?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:54 pm

You love Arrow don't you? You want to marry him don't ya? JK Congrats on your grades...and your post about success in LS the other day was great. Got me motivated to start my 0L prep now.

Should you transfer? I say yes. The consensus seems to be that once you figure out one semester of law school tests you can figure out all of them. T-14 it away. Especially if you can crack the T6!

User avatar
Stringer Bell

Gold
Posts: 2332
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby Stringer Bell » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:02 pm

As a 0L I probably shouldn't post on this topic, but in the employment forum I've seen some c/o 2011 people say they transferred to MVPB and completely struck out at OCI this year.

User avatar
megaTTTron

Silver
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:17 pm

apper123 wrote:I think another good discussion point is Chicago ED, and that's a decision I'm faced with right now.

I finished top 3 % at my mid-level T2, and I'm thinking of throwing an app at Chicago ED. I don't think I'll get in at first pass, but I think it will set me up well for regular decision.

However, my fear is that I do get in and either a) bomb exams somehow, getting myself out of Chicago and having to sacrifice (if I get in) a GULC EA acceptance or b) decide I really want to stay.

Thoughts? What are my odds at GULC EA vs. Chicago ED?


I agree 100% with all of that.

I think GULC is your best bet. (1) because your grades are STELLAR, and (2) because they accept a huge number of transfers.

W/ respect to Chi, why not? Worst case your grades go down a little. Even if they do, you still would have plenty of time to apply to other t14s.

I say go for both, apper.

Kobe_Teeth wrote:You love Arrow don't you? You want to marry him don't ya? JK


Haha. It must seem that way. Seriously, I look up to him a lot, and I wouldn't float his advice around so much if I didn't stand behind it. He's put a lot of time into TLS and those articles - read em!
Last edited by megaTTTron on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
megaTTTron

Silver
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:As a 0L I probably shouldn't post on this topic, but in the employment forum I've seen some c/o 2011 people say they transferred to MVPB and completely struck out at OCI this year.



+1 to this as well. It largely depends on the school you go to. I've actually heard that some transfers do very well at OCI. Of course, I have nothing to back that up at all ... anybody have anything on that??

ak362

Bronze
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:24 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby ak362 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:23 pm

My problem is, I'm already in the region that I want to work. It's a really difficult decision but I think I'm not going to transfer.

The only T14 I'm considering is GULC, and I'm hearing stories about transfer students getting slammed at OCI. It is my undergrad alma mater (that shouldn't really factor in, obviously, but there's always that sense of loyalty) - but I really do like my current LS too.

User avatar
kings84_wr

Silver
Posts: 901
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby kings84_wr » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I am contemplating transferring. I think as a California kid the chance to get back home may be to big to pass up.

I know generally the idea is only go to the T14. I think right now I have a good shot at Berkeley (Im about top 5-8 Percent based on last years curve), but is UCLA/USC worth applying to?

My chances of getting california even at a top student in the midwest seem to be pretty low. I am totally comfortable working in the midwest, however I think if I had to chose between midwest or Cali Id go with CA.

midwestswing

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby midwestswing » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:57 pm

Stringer Bell wrote:My problem, is that GULC doesn't give me that fuzzy feeling in my chest. Even though it's an amazing school, I'd rather be at UCLA or USC that Gtown. That, however, is just me.


I have the exact opposite feeling. I'm somewhere between 10%-20% at UCLA/USC and am going to apply to Gtown. The school is great, I just do not want to be in Los Angeles anymore. I'm hoping that if I get in, OCI won't be too bad since my school has a pretty good rank/reputation, although I would still probably be at a disadvantage compared to the Gtown kids

User avatar
apper123

Silver
Posts: 981
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby apper123 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 pm

I go to a T2 which places reasonably well in DC for a non-DC T2 and is in the same general geographic area as GULC. I feel like many of the same firms will be at GULC OCI as well be at my school's OCI. Do you think this will have any impact and give me a better shot at a 2L OCI at GULC than someone who transferred from, say, Hastings across the country?

User avatar
megaTTTron

Silver
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:09 pm

apper123 wrote:I go to a T2 which places reasonably well in DC for a non-DC T2 and is in the same general geographic area as GULC. I feel like many of the same firms will be at GULC OCI as well be at my school's OCI. Do you think this will have any impact and give me a better shot at a 2L OCI at GULC than someone who transferred from, say, Hastings across the country?



I'm dealing with the same dilemma. I definitely think that if the firm is familiar with your original school, and you did well and transferred to GULC, your original GPA will be held in high regard. Especially, if the firm is regional.

In any case, I don't think it can hurt you.

midwestswing

New
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:31 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby midwestswing » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:12 pm

apper123 wrote:I go to a T2 which places reasonably well in DC for a non-DC T2 and is in the same general geographic area as GULC. I feel like many of the same firms will be at GULC OCI as well be at my school's OCI. Do you think this will have any impact and give me a better shot at a 2L OCI at GULC than someone who transferred from, say, Hastings across the country?


I don't think so, except in the fact that they might recognize/respect your school and give your grades more credibility than they might otherwise. I've never been through the process though, so I'm just guessing.

If you are at the very top of your current school and want to work for the firms that will be recruiting there, maybe it would be better to stay then? I would think with grades like that you would be close to guaranteed to get something good.

Also: just read the full title of this thread, sorry for posting even though I didn't really own my exams, just facing the same question right now

User avatar
johnstuartmill

Bronze
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby johnstuartmill » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm

If you're absolutely sure you want to do firm work, then stay put. But if you think you might want to do a clerkship (or something else that nearly requires a top degree), then you should at least consider transferring.

awr20562009

New
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:04 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby awr20562009 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Hello,
I am a 2nd semester at Cooley Law (Yes laugh at me, it's OK) and while I have surprisingly enjoyed my 1st semester at Cooley (the professors are awesome) I am for obvious reasons thinking of transferring. I pulled a 4.0 in my first semester managing to book Torts and getting best essay in Torts and Property. I also was 1 point away from booking Property! My question is this, what schools do I have a reasonable opportunity to get into? My goal is to become a prosecutor upon graduation, and although I have no particular preference per se of where I would like to practice I would love to live in the Austin or Chicago area if possible. I currently am getting an 85% scholarship at Cooley, yes I know big deal. However being very debt adverse, what would you guys' advice be to me? Should I stay at Cooley and try to stay top dog or should I try to transfer to a T1 school and duke it out with the rest? I am not here to get into a debate of the merits of Cooley, for many different personal reasons I chose Cooley over other law schools, however I understand the disdain towards Cooley felt by the majority of the people on this site. I just would like some honest advice. Thanks!

VincentChase

New
Posts: 97
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:16 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby VincentChase » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:08 pm

awr20562009 wrote:Hello,
I am a 2nd semester at Cooley Law (Yes laugh at me, it's OK) and while I have surprisingly enjoyed my 1st semester at Cooley (the professors are awesome) I am for obvious reasons thinking of transferring. I pulled a 4.0 in my first semester managing to book Torts and getting best essay in Torts and Property. I also was 1 point away from booking Property! My question is this, what schools do I have a reasonable opportunity to get into? My goal is to become a prosecutor upon graduation, and although I have no particular preference per se of where I would like to practice I would love to live in the Austin or Chicago area if possible. I currently am getting an 85% scholarship at Cooley, yes I know big deal. However being very debt adverse, what would you guys' advice be to me? Should I stay at Cooley and try to stay top dog or should I try to transfer to a T1 school and duke it out with the rest? I am not here to get into a debate of the merits of Cooley, for many different personal reasons I chose Cooley over other law schools, however I understand the disdain towards Cooley felt by the majority of the people on this site. I just would like some honest advice. Thanks!


What about Chicago Kent or Loyola-Chicago? Or maybe Notre Dame if you really want to go for broke?

User avatar
jay115

Bronze
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:01 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby jay115 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm

VincentChase wrote:
awr20562009 wrote:Hello,
I am a 2nd semester at Cooley Law (Yes laugh at me, it's OK) and while I have surprisingly enjoyed my 1st semester at Cooley (the professors are awesome) I am for obvious reasons thinking of transferring. I pulled a 4.0 in my first semester managing to book Torts and getting best essay in Torts and Property. I also was 1 point away from booking Property! My question is this, what schools do I have a reasonable opportunity to get into? My goal is to become a prosecutor upon graduation, and although I have no particular preference per se of where I would like to practice I would love to live in the Austin or Chicago area if possible. I currently am getting an 85% scholarship at Cooley, yes I know big deal. However being very debt adverse, what would you guys' advice be to me? Should I stay at Cooley and try to stay top dog or should I try to transfer to a T1 school and duke it out with the rest? I am not here to get into a debate of the merits of Cooley, for many different personal reasons I chose Cooley over other law schools, however I understand the disdain towards Cooley felt by the majority of the people on this site. I just would like some honest advice. Thanks!


What about Chicago Kent or Loyola-Chicago? Or maybe Notre Dame if you really want to go for broke?


Do law schools give transfer students $$$? I tried to pursue yahootransfer group, but i didnt have the patience to wade through.

User avatar
OperaSoprano

Gold
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:40 am

1) Excellent thread, MegaTTTron.

2) I moved this to the brand new transferring forum.

3) I really ought to clarify my position re: transferring. I am NOT against all transfers. If the firm/clerkship/academic position you are seeking is just not readily available from your current school, you should absolute move up, almost irrespective of the cost. This is also true for students who need to be in a different geographic region, whether they lateral or make a significant jump. In both of these cases, I would not let money be the deciding factor. A full ride does not make a poor fit any better, it just makes it cheaper.

I am not at all anonymous and will be killed if I post my GPA on TLS. I probably have a shot at GULC EA, but as MegaTTTron correctly states, I won't do it. I am someone who puts personal happiness above all else, but I also have more concrete reasons for not doing so. Top students at my school have no trouble securing firm jobs even ITE, and might be worse off if they were considered median at any other school below HYS. I have heard from 2Ls that employers at OCI often consider transfer students as median at their new schools. (Note: anyone who gets into HYS should probably go.) Given the choice, I would rather grade onto Law Review at Fordham (not there yet (requires about top 5%), but I can hope) than be median at even NYU or CLS, as much as I love them. My own goal, a public interest job, will not be more attainable if I am a median T14 student. A Columbia diploma would be quite a pretty thing to put on my wall, but I am content to go visit my friends at CLS, and in the years to come I can admire theirs. The one I'm getting here should suit me perfectly.

If I wanted academia or a very prestigious clerkship, I might think about moving up, but even in these situations it isn't clear that I'd be better off, especially if I couldn't get on my new school's flagship journal.

To sum up: there is a definite case to be made for transferring from T2, T3, and T4 schools, though in some cases regional ties and scholarships may compel students to stay. Within the T1, and especially the T30, things get a bit more complicated. Moreover, standing out can be a very good thing. I talked to a student who transferred from a lower T2 to one of BU/BC, and she was actually told by an interviewer that they would have taken her if she'd stayed at her former school, where she was a standout student, since (apparently) they had an informal quota of students to hire from each local school. I don't think her choice to transfer was necessarily a bad one, but her experience surprised me.

I know Fordham can't give me any money. Some would say I ought to be getting the most prestigious JD for my money, and if I can even inch up to GULC, I should. I just wanted to share the justification for my stubborn loyalty, and explain that I am not against transferring in situations where it is warranted.

I will also add my plus a million for Arrow and his wonderful advice. I can't imagine where I would be without him.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool

Silver
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:45 am

Well it seems like most of you guys are way higher up the rankings than me but I feel like I am in the same boat.

I don't have my exact rank yet, but know for sure it will be a single digit and have an honest chance at being number 1, at a tier 4 school. I plan on doing both the EA at GULC and the ED at Chicago. My thought process is that given the school I am currently at I stand a snowballs chance in hell at both schools so the EA/ED is worth it for the slightly increased chance at admission. Also it will force me to get my essays and recommendations together now so when summer hits and work picks up I won't be in a huge rush.

My basic game plan is to send apps to the following schools and just pray that something sticks.

HLS (I hate living with the 'what if' feeling)
CLS
NYU
U of Chi (ED)
Berkeley (currently in Cali so they might have heard of my TTT)
Penn (multiple relatives have attended, maybe that will help?)
That School Up North (my friends would disown me, but I wouldn't be able to turn down the law school)
Duke
UVA (I know a person who did tier 4 to UVA so I feel obliged to give it a try)
GULC
tOSU (not t14 but I would love to go back)

I am not on a big scholly here so I really wouldn't be giving up much in leaving (in terms of total debt), so for me it's all about moving up the rankings as high as possible. If I get into any of the above schools, I am 100% going.

User avatar
XxSpyKEx

Gold
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:46 am

OperaSoprano wrote: Top students at my school have no trouble securing firm jobs even ITE, and might be worse off if they were considered median at any other school below HYS. I have heard from 2Ls that employers at OCI often consider transfer students as median at their new schools. (Note: anyone who gets into HYS should probably go.) Given the choice, I would rather grade onto Law Review at Fordham (not there yet (requires about top 5%), but I can hope) than be median at even NYU or CLS, as much as I love them. My own goal, a public interest job, will not be more attainable if I am a median T14 student. A Columbia diploma would be quite a pretty thing to put on my wall, but I am content to go visit my friends at CLS, and in the years to come I can admire theirs. The one I'm getting here should suit me perfectly.


That is not at all true. You definitely don't just automatically drop down to median at your transfer school. Every firm is different in terms of what they do and they don't exactly advertise it, but I think as a general rule you can be expected to be viewed by a firm at OCI the same way that they would view you at your old school. So if you are top 10% at a t30, you can expect to be treated at least as good as top 10% at a t30 at OCI (e.g. if the firm typically hires top 10% from X school then you have a legitimate shot). The reason I say that is because median at GULC is shiitier then top 10% at Fordham.

As far as what firms do if they don't typically hire from your old school, well, it all really depends based on the firm. Based on how transfers do at OCI I think it is safe to generalize that firms view you as around top 1/3 for t10 transfers. I say that because it looks like transfers have no shot at firms like Skadden (i.e. v10), but can get firms that people at the median at the t10 typically can't. My thought is that the problem this year with OCI has been that top 1/3 wasn't getting jobs. It seems like top 20-25% were mostly in, but they the other 15-20% was getting hired anywhere from top 26%-60%. I really don't have any idea of what happened at CLS this year with transfers, but I don't think any of this is applicable to CLS because I recall reading something about 70% of the class getting offers (although there is really no way to know that for sure since they haven't officially released any information).

User avatar
XxSpyKEx

Gold
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:56 am

JPU wrote:Well it seems like most of you guys are way higher up the rankings than me but I feel like I am in the same boat.

I don't have my exact rank yet, but know for sure it will be a single digit and have an honest chance at being number 1, at a tier 4 school. I plan on doing both the EA at GULC and the ED at Chicago. My thought process is that given the school I am currently at I stand a snowballs chance in hell at both schools so the EA/ED is worth it for the slightly increased chance at admission. Also it will force me to get my essays and recommendations together now so when summer hits and work picks up I won't be in a huge rush.

My basic game plan is to send apps to the following schools and just pray that something sticks.

HLS (I hate living with the 'what if' feeling)
CLS
NYU
U of Chi (ED)
Berkeley (currently in Cali so they might have heard of my TTT)
Penn (multiple relatives have attended, maybe that will help?)
That School Up North (my friends would disown me, but I wouldn't be able to turn down the law school)
Duke
UVA (I know a person who did tier 4 to UVA so I feel obliged to give it a try)
GULC
tOSU (not t14 but I would love to go back)

I am not on a big scholly here so I really wouldn't be giving up much in leaving (in terms of total debt), so for me it's all about moving up the rankings as high as possible. If I get into any of the above schools, I am 100% going.


Definitely apply further down the rankings then that even if you remain #1 next semester. Based on what I've read on yahoo transferapps and elsewhere- T6 from a TTTT is pretty much unheard of. t10 or t14 might happen but that's not a guarantee either. t20 is a lock at #1 (but not necessarily so as #9).... If you actually look at the number of spots open at these schools and the number of students at t3 & t4 total it explains why it's not typical to make a massive jump. E.g. top 5 students at every t3 & t4 = 500 students. Not all of them will apply to transfer, but even if you assume 2/3 of them do, there is no way 330 TTT & TTTT students are going to t14s. I'm not saying don't apply, but definitely apply down into t30, and if you aren't on much of a scholly even applying to a t100 (anything below t30 that is in the region you want to be in) as a safety wouldn't be a bad idea.

User avatar
OperaSoprano

Gold
Posts: 3417
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:54 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby OperaSoprano » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: Top students at my school have no trouble securing firm jobs even ITE, and might be worse off if they were considered median at any other school below HYS. I have heard from 2Ls that employers at OCI often consider transfer students as median at their new schools. (Note: anyone who gets into HYS should probably go.) Given the choice, I would rather grade onto Law Review at Fordham (not there yet (requires about top 5%), but I can hope) than be median at even NYU or CLS, as much as I love them. My own goal, a public interest job, will not be more attainable if I am a median T14 student. A Columbia diploma would be quite a pretty thing to put on my wall, but I am content to go visit my friends at CLS, and in the years to come I can admire theirs. The one I'm getting here should suit me perfectly.


That is not at all true. You definitely don't just automatically drop down to median at your transfer school. Every firm is different in terms of what they do and they don't exactly advertise it, but I think as a general rule you can be expected to be viewed by a firm at OCI the same way that they would view you at your old school. So if you are top 10% at a t30, you can expect to be treated at least as good as top 10% at a t30 at OCI (e.g. if the firm typically hires top 10% from X school then you have a legitimate shot). The reason I say that is because median at GULC is shiitier then top 10% at Fordham.

As far as what firms do if they don't typically hire from your old school, well, it all really depends based on the firm. Based on how transfers do at OCI I think it is safe to generalize that firms view you as around top 1/3 for t10 transfers. I say that because it looks like transfers have no shot at firms like Skadden (i.e. v10), but can get firms that people at the median at the t10 typically can't. My thought is that the problem this year with OCI has been that top 1/3 wasn't getting jobs. It seems like top 20-25% were mostly in, but they the other 15-20% was getting hired anywhere from top 26%-60%. I really don't have any idea of what happened at CLS this year with transfers, but I don't think any of this is applicable to CLS because I recall reading something about 70% of the class getting offers (although there is really no way to know that for sure since they haven't officially released any information).


I heard several horror stories from T1 to CLS transfers, but the native Columbians I knew seemed to do fine. Skadden does come to Fordham, incidentally, and will look at the top of our class. A top 5% Fordham student probably has a better chance of getting a V5 job here. (I know I'm not in the top 5%, FWIW.) Is your argument thus that I should be out of here if one of CCN can be persuaded to have me? I highly doubt that they would, no matter my GPA, so this is a pure hypothetical. If I did go to a firm, and there is one I quite like, it would be one of the last in the V100, #97 IIRC. I know they hire Fordham students.

buslaw4302

New
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:13 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby buslaw4302 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 am

I finished my first semester at WUSTL in the top 5%... I think there are definite pros to staying (and the more I think of it, the more pros there really are), but I think at the end of the day it would be nearly impossible for me to turn down HYS (if given the opportunity).

Are there any older students who chose not to transfer that ended up regretting not transferring?

User avatar
XxSpyKEx

Gold
Posts: 1804
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:48 am

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:23 am

OperaSoprano wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
OperaSoprano wrote: Top students at my school have no trouble securing firm jobs even ITE, and might be worse off if they were considered median at any other school below HYS. I have heard from 2Ls that employers at OCI often consider transfer students as median at their new schools. (Note: anyone who gets into HYS should probably go.) Given the choice, I would rather grade onto Law Review at Fordham (not there yet (requires about top 5%), but I can hope) than be median at even NYU or CLS, as much as I love them. My own goal, a public interest job, will not be more attainable if I am a median T14 student. A Columbia diploma would be quite a pretty thing to put on my wall, but I am content to go visit my friends at CLS, and in the years to come I can admire theirs. The one I'm getting here should suit me perfectly.


That is not at all true. You definitely don't just automatically drop down to median at your transfer school. Every firm is different in terms of what they do and they don't exactly advertise it, but I think as a general rule you can be expected to be viewed by a firm at OCI the same way that they would view you at your old school. So if you are top 10% at a t30, you can expect to be treated at least as good as top 10% at a t30 at OCI (e.g. if the firm typically hires top 10% from X school then you have a legitimate shot). The reason I say that is because median at GULC is shiitier then top 10% at Fordham.

As far as what firms do if they don't typically hire from your old school, well, it all really depends based on the firm. Based on how transfers do at OCI I think it is safe to generalize that firms view you as around top 1/3 for t10 transfers. I say that because it looks like transfers have no shot at firms like Skadden (i.e. v10), but can get firms that people at the median at the t10 typically can't. My thought is that the problem this year with OCI has been that top 1/3 wasn't getting jobs. It seems like top 20-25% were mostly in, but they the other 15-20% was getting hired anywhere from top 26%-60%. I really don't have any idea of what happened at CLS this year with transfers, but I don't think any of this is applicable to CLS because I recall reading something about 70% of the class getting offers (although there is really no way to know that for sure since they haven't officially released any information).


I heard several horror stories from T1 to CLS transfers, but the native Columbians I knew seemed to do fine. Skadden does come to Fordham, incidentally, and will look at the top of our class. A top 5% Fordham student probably has a better chance of getting a V5 job here. (I know I'm not in the top 5%, FWIW.) Is your argument thus that I should be out of here if one of CCN can be persuaded to have me? I highly doubt that they would, no matter my GPA, so this is a pure hypothetical. If I did go to a firm, and there is one I quite like, it would be one of the last in the V100, #97 IIRC. I know they hire Fordham students.


I wasn't address you specifically OS (I really have no information about CLS or what difference the jump in rankings does for you in terms of PI jobs). I was just responding to your comment about transfers being seen at median.

Sidenote- Why is fordham so cheap about giving/increasing scholly's to the top of their class after 1L year? We got a dude at my school who transferred out of Fordham because he was paying full price, did well, and Fordham refused to give him any scholarship. It's almost like they are just signaling top students to leave because I think the typical person that is paying sticker would leave to go to GULC or better because it's the same price or cheaper.

User avatar
Lawl Shcool

Silver
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:39 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:
Definitely apply further down the rankings then that even if you remain #1 next semester. Based on what I've read on yahoo transferapps and elsewhere- T6 from a TTTT is pretty much unheard of. t10 or t14 might happen but that's not a guarantee either. t20 is a lock at #1 (but not necessarily so as #9).... If you actually look at the number of spots open at these schools and the number of students at t3 & t4 total it explains why it's not typical to make a massive jump. E.g. top 5 students at every t3 & t4 = 500 students. Not all of them will apply to transfer, but even if you assume 2/3 of them do, there is no way 330 TTT & TTTT students are going to t14s. I'm not saying don't apply, but definitely apply down into t30, and if you aren't on much of a scholly even applying to a t100 (anything below t30 that is in the region you want to be in) as a safety wouldn't be a bad idea.


What t30 schools do you think would be worth 2 years of sticker price + the 40k I already have (LS + UG)?

I am in a pretty desirable secondary market so giving up a good rank and a potentially big increase in scholly money to go anywhere that wouldn't give me portability would be tough to justify. Outside of the t14 I would think UCLA / USC / Texas / ND would be the best bet in that regard, no?

User avatar
Arrow

Bronze
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:58 pm

Re: Should We Transfer? (Non-T14 1Ls Who Owned Exams)

Postby Arrow » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 am

buslaw4302 wrote:I finished my first semester at WUSTL in the top 5%... I think there are definite pros to staying (and the more I think of it, the more pros there really are), but I think at the end of the day it would be nearly impossible for me to turn down HYS (if given the opportunity).

Are there any older students who chose not to transfer that ended up regretting not transferring?


There are A LOT of pros, but the problem with these pros is that...they are generally temporary. The name of your T14 goes on your resume FOREVER, and that really weighs in. Sure, it may take 10 years to pay off that loan, but your legal career lasts for what...30-40 years (assuming you do not retire early)?

There is a lot of talk about transferring, but there is a difference between transferring and applying to transfer. In this economy, I recommend everyone to APPLY to transfer. Schools will likely give out less scholarships, which require YOU to give them the extra push for that full tuition + stipend. You need that transfer acceptance in order to negotiate the highest scholarship possible (especially if you plan to stay). Thus, it is going to be in your best interest to apply whether you leave or not. Just go straight to the head Dean, show him/her the letter, tell him you would LOVE to stay but cannot due to financial reasons, and bargain for that scholarship.

My old school hid scholarship information (for good reason) and scholarships were given out in mid-August. Thus, you would have to trust that your school gives you the scholarship you desire (and my guess is that it will be tough in this economy). I am not sure what other schools do, but I would not want to be gipped of a scholarship. Someone with a similar ranking last year as me got twice the amount I did this year. So, I strongly encourage you to apply to transfer. Just think of it as negotiating for scholarships like you did back when you first applied to law school.

I was able to talk to like 7-8 of my friends in the top 10% or who graded on to law review at my old T2 before I left. I felt like the number reason they did not transfer was that they JUST DID NOT KNOW. They did not know that they could transfer. They did not know it was the right decision. They did not talk on TLS. They just had no idea that people who did well in their 1st year transferred out or that it was an option for them. One of my friends in the top 10% thought that only the top 1% transferred out (which is not true in case you did not know either).

A few of my friends openly regretted not applying to transfer and wished they did, but at that time, the 2nd year was about to start and it was too late. Out of the people I talked to, one of my friends in the top of the class stayed for the JD/MBA, another for her husband, and one because he was interested in government work (which our T2 was perfect for). While sure, we talk a lot about giving up a full ride, but money just did not seem to be a big factor. For some, I am sure it is. Just be sure to APPLY to transfer still and negotiate that scholarship.

Looking back, it is hard for some to know about transferring. Our school really tries to hide transferring and looks down on it. In addition, I do not see how you would know about transferring unless you felt bad about going to a T2 in the first place. There is a lot of pride at my T2 (because the school tries to instill it), so I can totally imagine how people would want to stay. Without a certain amount of ambition or online trafficking, I realized it is hard to know about transfer options.

In fact, my own ignorance about the concept of transferring was one reason I did not transfer to HYP as an undergrad despite having done well in the first year (and well before my GPA plundered). Looking back, I do know if I would have transferred as an undergrad after my 1st/2nd year from my school to HYP, however, I still wish I had the choice.

Thus, one of the reasons I wrote the article is so people know about their options. I hope that people have all the information they need to make that choice. "Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth." Furthermore, I guess I just felt bad that even if my friends wanted to stay, I wish they applied to transfer to negotiate for a better scholarship. Some schools are generous, and others are not. The schools that are not, need a bit of push. People in the top 5% are given terrible scholarships this year as compared to previous years (due to the economy), and I just wish we all had the same opportunities.

As for how transfers do at OCI, we do no different than the students here. If you were top 1% at a T1, you probably got the job you wanted. If you were top 15% at a T2, you faced a tougher struggle. While law firms generally do not equate you to a top 1/3 or top 1/2 position, they have a good idea of where you place. Also, if you had work experience, you had an easier time getting a job, regardless of whether you were a transfer or not. Also, I was surprised at how many attorneys were transfers themselves. It does not say anything on their profile about it, but I ran into quite a few attorneys who themselves transferred (more than the 10% I predicted). It was pretty cool.

Oh no. I just rambled on again.

Lastly, transfer. :D (I'm looking at you OP + OS)




Return to “Transfers”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.