Notre Dame Fightin Irish

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby rocross1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:58 pm

This is the ND 2013 thread, come and join. Talk about Coaches, Housing, Professors, Interest, any and all things ND. I hope this thread is useful for people meeting each other, especially since ND is kind of remote and many of us do not know anyone there or in the area. My wife and I are ecstatic and plan on visiting ND again in the spring to try and secure housing and get her a job at the hospital, shes and RN and will be attending grad school at U Indiana South Bend-ND doesn't offer nursing. We look forward to seeing you in the Bend. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Start the facebook group! Ill be there, just need to get some financial concerns worked out first.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:38 pm

Is this only for the committed or the fence sitters too?

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby rocross1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:30 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:Is this only for the committed or the fence sitters too?


Fence sitters can dabble, and ask questions. Why fence sit just go to ND. JK

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:12 am

Congrats to everyone. I'll be attending this fall as well. I'm also from the area, so if anyone has any questions about the utopia that is South Bend, feel free to ask

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby sckon » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:18 am

Define utopia.

Actually, after looking through past threads and reading the little handbook online, it seems there is no consensus for off campus housing. Any tips?

Also, I am going to need a regular place to go for drinks. Any quiet non sports bar or club bars that can fulfill this need?

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:26 am

[quote="sckon"]Define utopia.

Actually, after looking through past threads and reading the little handbook online, it seems there is no consensus for off campus housing. Any tips?

Also, I am going to need a regular place to go for drinks. Any quiet non sports bar or club bars that can fulfill this need?

You're right about the off-campus housing. I would imagine most off-campus students either live in houses near campus(which are very affordable in South Bend) or rent apartments in Mishawaka. Mishawaka's right next to South Bend and a lot nicer. The city of South bend, in conjunction with Notre Dame, is actually building a new city block right across from Notre Dame's campus with new apartments called Eddy Street Commons, so I would guess alot of students will be heading there next year as well. To meet your drinking needs, Fiddler's Hearth and Madison Oyster Bar are my favorite non-sports bars. Fiddler's Hearth is kind of a traditional Irish bar, so it's pretty neat.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:27 pm

I watched Rudy last night because I was fired up about ND haha :lol: . There is a lot of info. on bars in the information booklet compiled by students that comes in the packet. There is also some housing info., but I would like to know more about renting houses. Are there many houses for rent near the law school, preferably walking or biking distance? What is average cost to rent a small house? Thanks.

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby rocross1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:48 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:I watched Rudy last night because I was fired up about ND haha :lol: . There is a lot of info. on bars in the information booklet compiled by students that comes in the packet. There is also some housing info., but I would like to know more about renting houses. Are there many houses for rent near the law school, preferably walking or biking distance? What is average cost to rent a small house? Thanks.


+1 I really want to be close to campus, if one goes to ND you might as well be close to campus because thats what its all about.

Wake up the echoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUebmJjDuu8

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 pm

fulkersonr1 wrote:I watched Rudy last night because I was fired up about ND haha :lol: . There is a lot of info. on bars in the information booklet compiled by students that comes in the packet. There is also some housing info., but I would like to know more about renting houses. Are there many houses for rent near the law school, preferably walking or biking distance? What is average cost to rent a small house? Thanks.


The houses right next to campus, meaning a 5 minute walk or so, can be a little pricey because renters know Notre Dame students will take em- and of course, all Notre Dame students are filthy rich :D . If you look at houses that are ~10 min drive, things start getting pretty cheap- like ~900 for 3 bedroom houses.

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:44 pm

Is it too soon to start discussing coaching options? I'm sure the Weis decision impacted most of your decisions to attend Notre Dame law, one way or the other. Anyway, I'm excited for Brian Kelly, but worried about his defense. Cincy's defense was arguably no better than ND's this year and look how that turned out for us. I would still like to see ND pursue Urban Meyer- I don't care how many times he adamantly says no, offer to rename the Golden Dome after him and make it happen.

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby rocross1 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:56 pm

king just chill. I am not sure its gonna be Kelly but I hope it is, because he is a baller. Yes on the surface it might look like he can't do much for ND's defense because cincinnati isn't that great. However, that is just wrong. Cincinnati lost ten defensive starters last year and they still went undefeated, I mean c'mon man that is impressive. Not to mention he is playing with recruits that were most likely rejects from Ohio State and ND amongst other schools, and now he is in a BCS game and coach of the year. If Kelly comes to ND he is the kind of coach that will turn things around quickly and restore ND to its rightful place. In a short time he has created a culture of football at Cinci and brought them to the top, imagine what he can do at ND.

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:00 pm

rocross1 wrote:king just chill. I am not sure its gonna be Kelly but I hope it is, because he is a baller. Yes on the surface it might look like he can't do much for ND's defense because cincinnati isn't that great. However, that is just wrong. Cincinnati lost ten defensive starters last year and they still went undefeated, I mean c'mon man that is impressive. Not to mention he is playing with recruits that were most likely rejects from Ohio State and ND amongst other schools, and now he is in a BCS game and coach of the year. If Kelly comes to ND he is the kind of coach that will turn things around quickly and restore ND to its rightful place. In a short time he has created a culture of football at Cinci and brought them to the top, imagine what he can do at ND.


Well, I'm almost certain it will be Kelly. (This talk of Randy Edsall is laughable). Anyway, you're right that Cincy went undefeated, but they did it by outscoring everyone, not by stopping anyone. In fact, they gave up 40something points to a pathetic Illinois team. That's not impressive. And as recent college football champions should tell you- (Florida, LSU, Florida, Texas) it's defense that wins championships. Scoring points hasn't been a problem under Weis and look where that got us. As for your argument about Kelly winning with Cincy recruits so "imagine what he can do at ND"- that sounds eerily familiar to four years ago when Weis was winning with Willingham's weak recruits. Everyone imagined then what Weis could do with his own recruits, and what did he do? 21 losses in 3 years. So, I'm not saying I'm anti-Kelly or anything (in fact, I'm as optimistic as anyone) but I am leary about his lack of a defesive presence, which you seem to have overlooked.

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby World B. Free » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:05 pm

He'll def. need to rebuild.... w/ no quarterback and all --- kinda weird that they opted out of any bowl game this year

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 pm

World B. Free wrote:He'll def. need to rebuild.... w/ no quarterback and all


There's Dayne Crist, but I'm a little iffy about him too. He didn't look very good against Purdue and Washington State. After him, their backup is actually a 3rd string receiver- John Goodman. So if Crist goes down to injury next year, they'll probably just pull one of us from the law school to be the backup...

User avatar
World B. Free
Posts: 103
Joined: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby World B. Free » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:10 pm

they always seem to get good recruits at quarterback --- it still is NOTRE DAME! -- but I think the first couple years under a new coach will be a bit rough.

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:14 pm

World B. Free wrote:they always seem to get good recruits at quarterback --- it still is NOTRE DAME! -- but I think the first couple years under a new coach will be a bit rough.


I've read they have a quarterback recruit verbally committed. but he's not as touted as Clausen or even Crist. The good thing about next year is that the schedule is pretty weak. We'll get to see such national powerhouses as Tulsa and Western Michigan

User avatar
GhostDynasty
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby GhostDynasty » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:15 pm

I posted another thread on this, but just thought I would toss up some photos here.

Image
Image
Image

Kingm
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby Kingm » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:18 pm

GhostDynasty wrote:I posted another thread on this, but just thought I would toss up some photos here.

Image
Image
Image


What does this have to do with the football team? wait a minute........

User avatar
GhostDynasty
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:18 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby GhostDynasty » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:30 pm

Does anyone know sites I should be looking at for off campus housing. Im having a hard time.

User avatar
brose002
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:34 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby brose002 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:45 pm

Though I have not received a decision yet, Notre Dame is my top choice law school, and I have a particular question that Im hoping someone can answer. I was looking into the graduate housing on-campus(O'Hara-Fischer), but could not find anything about furniture. Does anyone know or have a link to what furniture is included in the townhouses?

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:36 am

brose002 wrote:Though I have not received a decision yet, Notre Dame is my top choice law school, and I have a particular question that Im hoping someone can answer. I was looking into the graduate housing on-campus(O'Hara-Fischer), but could not find anything about furniture. Does anyone know or have a link to what furniture is included in the townhouses?


In the booklet in the acceptance packet, which you will be receiving soon :D , it mentions the furniture at O'Hara tends to be older so sounds like they are furnished. I don't have any specifics as to whats included though.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 am

GhostDynasty wrote:I posted another thread on this, but just thought I would toss up some photos here.

Image
Image
Image


Thanks, the new facilities really look beautiful. Im looking forward to being able to visit and see everything in person.

User avatar
fulkersonr1
Posts: 216
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:42 pm

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby fulkersonr1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:40 am

So to continue the football talk Im surprised by the talk of Edsall. I think he handled the tragic death of their cornerback well and seems to be a good enough coach but not sure why he would be considered for Notre Dame. I would have loved to see Harbaugh but its looking like hes not interested.

User avatar
rocross1
Posts: 112
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 11:20 am

Re: Notre Dame Fightin Irish

Postby rocross1 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:49 am

Kingm wrote:
rocross1 wrote:king just chill. I am not sure its gonna be Kelly but I hope it is, because he is a baller. Yes on the surface it might look like he can't do much for ND's defense because cincinnati isn't that great. However, that is just wrong. Cincinnati lost ten defensive starters last year and they still went undefeated, I mean c'mon man that is impressive. Not to mention he is playing with recruits that were most likely rejects from Ohio State and ND amongst other schools, and now he is in a BCS game and coach of the year. If Kelly comes to ND he is the kind of coach that will turn things around quickly and restore ND to its rightful place. In a short time he has created a culture of football at Cinci and brought them to the top, imagine what he can do at ND.


Well, I'm almost certain it will be Kelly. (This talk of Randy Edsall is laughable). Anyway, you're right that Cincy went undefeated, but they did it by outscoring everyone, not by stopping anyone. In fact, they gave up 40something points to a pathetic Illinois team. That's not impressive. And as recent college football champions should tell you- (Florida, LSU, Florida, Texas) it's defense that wins championships. Scoring points hasn't been a problem under Weis and look where that got us. As for your argument about Kelly winning with Cincy recruits so "imagine what he can do at ND"- that sounds eerily familiar to four years ago when Weis was winning with Willingham's weak recruits. Everyone imagined then what Weis could do with his own recruits, and what did he do? 21 losses in 3 years. So, I'm not saying I'm anti-Kelly or anything (in fact, I'm as optimistic as anyone) but I am leary about his lack of a defesive presence, which you seem to have overlooked.


Im not overlooking defense, my point is he lost 10 of his 11 defensive starters and still went undefeated. Give him a chance to get his defense together and it will be much better. As for winning championships he has won the big east championship and two D2 championships. He is 171-57 as a head coach; he is proven unlike Weiss who wasn't a head coach. I agree I would rather have Meyer or Stoops but that just isn't happening so we've got to get excited about Kelly because out of our options he is the best, and it looks like he is it.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest