NYU Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
flawyer
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:09 pm

NYU Class of 2013

Postby flawyer » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Quite delighted to receive my purple envelope.

let's use this thread to talk about housing, Greenwich, and anything else NYU.

CONGRATS to all future NYUers!!!

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:41 am

Just popping in to scope out the surroundings...

Yes, I would be quite comfortable here.

qwerqwer
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby qwerqwer » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:41 pm

flawyer wrote:Quite delighted to receive my purple envelope.

let's use this thread to talk about housing, Greenwich, and anything else NYU.

CONGRATS to all future NYUers!!!


Ditto!

User avatar
facetious
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby facetious » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:45 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:Just popping in to scope out the surroundings...

Yes, I would be quite comfortable here.


+1. hoping i can join. are you reading this nyu? are you???

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby ravens20 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:20 pm

ravens20 wrote:Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?


What about campus housing?

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby irie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:26 pm

ravens20 wrote:Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?


jersey city or brooklyn.

User avatar
summerschooled
Posts: 267
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby summerschooled » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:32 pm

ravens20 wrote:Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?

I have the same concern. I just got in yesterday (still can't really believe it), but I'm a little worried about paying to live in the city. That said, it's NYU. Plus, few places can compete with New York.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby ravens20 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:41 pm

LieutKaffee wrote:
ravens20 wrote:Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?


What about campus housing?


I'm strongly considering it for the first year especially because of its proximity to the law school and location in Greenwich Village, but I've heard that the housing is too small for what you are paying. And I really want to see if I can somehow pay less than NYU's expected total cost of $70,000 a year.

User avatar
ravens20
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby ravens20 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 pm

irie wrote:
ravens20 wrote:Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?


jersey city or brooklyn.


Any idea what the commute to NYU would turn out to be like from those two places?

taxman021
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby taxman021 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:13 pm

i live in the city right now and you definitely dont want to live in campus housing (it's incredibly small for the amount you pay). for the $1500 they charge (i think it's $1500?), you can find a nice one room apartment (with a roommate- convert the living room into a room with a wall) just about anywhere in the city. jersey city and brooklyn are cheaper options but commute could be annoying...


check out http://www.hopstop.com to find commuting times via subway, etc.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:14 pm

taxman021 wrote:i live in the city right now and you definitely dont want to live in campus housing (it's incredibly small for the amount you pay). for the $1500 they charge (i think it's $1500?), you can find a nice one room apartment (with a roommate- convert the living room into a room with a wall) just about anywhere in the city. jersey city and brooklyn are cheaper options but commute could be annoying...


check out http://www.hopstop.com to find commuting times via subway, etc.


Hm, I want to be on campus.

User avatar
humdrum
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby humdrum » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm

ravens20 wrote:Just got my acceptance today. The one thing that concerns me is the exorbitant housing costs of the city. Anyone have any ideas about where to live that could save money but not be too far of a commute. How is East Village for instance?


The East Village can actually be pretty affordable. Much more so than the West Village. The farther east you go, the cheaper it gets. Once you hit Alphabet City (Avenues A-D), you can easily look to pay $900/mo. or less w/ roommates.

I live around 2nd Ave now and I can walk to NYU in 6-8 minutes. I also pay $1,000/mo for 1BR in a 3BR. Really small apt of course, but significantly more convenient than living in Brooklyn or Jersey City.

qwerqwer
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:46 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby qwerqwer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:30 pm

Does anyone have any idea how NYU is with need-based grants...does such a thing even exist for law school?

User avatar
pikalove
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby pikalove » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:01 pm

For any native-NYCers, what do you think about Hoboken?

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby Rand M. » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm so glad that this thread has a housing focus already. It really is the one major drawback to an NYU education. Once the euphoria of that purple envelope wore off I started to think about just these sorts of things. Thanks to anyone who has valuable input.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:35 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:For the ED'ers who have been accepted and also applied to Michigan but haven't heard from Mich yet:

Does your Michigan status checker say withdrawn?

User avatar
pikalove
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby pikalove » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:45 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:For the ED'ers who have been accepted and also applied to Michigan but haven't heard from Mich yet:

Does your Michigan status checker say withdrawn?


No idea (didn't apply to Michigan), but you have posted this quote EVERYWHERE!!

User avatar
kurama20
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby kurama20 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:50 pm

qwerqwer wrote:Does anyone have any idea how NYU is with need-based grants...does such a thing even exist for law school?


I'm pretty sure all the top law schools have need based grants. You should email the financial aid office to be sure though.

02082010
Posts: 2034
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby 02082010 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 pm

pikalove wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:For the ED'ers who have been accepted and also applied to Michigan but haven't heard from Mich yet:

Does your Michigan status checker say withdrawn?


No idea (didn't apply to Michigan), but you have posted this quote EVERYWHERE!!

:oops: Just here and the NYU 2010 thread. Sorry.

User avatar
pikalove
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby pikalove » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:00 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
pikalove wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:For the ED'ers who have been accepted and also applied to Michigan but haven't heard from Mich yet:

Does your Michigan status checker say withdrawn?


No idea (didn't apply to Michigan), but you have posted this quote EVERYWHERE!!

:oops: Just here and the NYU 2010 thread. Sorry.


No worries... I just thought I was seeing double for a bit. Granted, the NYU forums are the only ones I check, so my universe of everywhere is a small one.

User avatar
pikalove
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby pikalove » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:12 pm

Just joined the NYU Law Class of 2013 Facebook group!!!

User avatar
facetious
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby facetious » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:24 pm

pikalove wrote:For any native-NYCers, what do you think about Hoboken?


i'm from the tri-state area and have some friends who have lived in hoboken. from what i know, there are some cheap places but not all that inexpensive. and its still a PATH ride to the city. nyc is manageable and the subway system is quite reliable. while the village is ridiculously expensive, as an above poster said, east village can be pretty manageable and is relatively close to nyu. that said, plenty of people commute from hoboken to the city for work, but for 1L i feel like it might be a bit of a drag.

now, if only nyu would let me in so i could actually join this thread instead of being an impostor :(

User avatar
pikalove
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby pikalove » Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:48 pm

facetious wrote:
pikalove wrote:For any native-NYCers, what do you think about Hoboken?


i'm from the tri-state area and have some friends who have lived in hoboken. from what i know, there are some cheap places but not all that inexpensive. and its still a PATH ride to the city. nyc is manageable and the subway system is quite reliable. while the village is ridiculously expensive, as an above poster said, east village can be pretty manageable and is relatively close to nyu. that said, plenty of people commute from hoboken to the city for work, but for 1L i feel like it might be a bit of a drag.

now, if only nyu would let me in so i could actually join this thread instead of being an impostor :(


Based on your stats, I don't think you'll have a problem getting in!! Thanks for the advice, I've shifted my search to more of a east village focus. Question though: is lower east side a respectable area?? Some one told me that it wasn't a good idea....

Good luck on NYU!!

User avatar
facetious
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Re: NYU Class of 2013

Postby facetious » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:55 pm

pikalove wrote:
facetious wrote:
pikalove wrote:For any native-NYCers, what do you think about Hoboken?


i'm from the tri-state area and have some friends who have lived in hoboken. from what i know, there are some cheap places but not all that inexpensive. and its still a PATH ride to the city. nyc is manageable and the subway system is quite reliable. while the village is ridiculously expensive, as an above poster said, east village can be pretty manageable and is relatively close to nyu. that said, plenty of people commute from hoboken to the city for work, but for 1L i feel like it might be a bit of a drag.

now, if only nyu would let me in so i could actually join this thread instead of being an impostor :(


Based on your stats, I don't think you'll have a problem getting in!! Thanks for the advice, I've shifted my search to more of a east village focus. Question though: is lower east side a respectable area?? Some one told me that it wasn't a good idea....

Good luck on NYU!!


i certainly hope your right! i'm ED at nyu and would be ecstatic to get my acceptance. as for the lower east side. while its not the village or soho, most of manhattan is pretty respectable. not so much 15-20 years ago, but now really the whole downtown area has become quite put together. i think you will find divergent views on LES since it isn't like the village; some would be fine living there (me) and others think that they need chelsea or soho (my cousin). but, i've also lived in the area my whole life so i know the city a little better and i am comfortable getting around. i think there are a few TLS posters at nyu who live in the LES and they seem to be quite happy. can't remember where they are though.




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest