GULC c/o 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
volsi

Bronze

Re: GULC c/o 2013

Post by volsi » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm

I got lucky with apartments, I think. I just moved in today to a really cute studio in a nice building near L'Enfant. My kitchen has black and white tiling. :) I'm sorry to hear people are having such trouble with housing.

I signed up for the Domestic Violence tour (that sounds wrong) and the service project where I will have to de-weed a garden. or something.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 pm

gilchristh wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Question about Gewirz-- is there cable connection in the bedrooms and the common room? Like, a total of 3 tvs can have cable? Or is it just in each bedroom?
I just chatted with a friend who lived in Gewirz. They had their TV (and connection) in the living area, and he's pretty sure at least some of the bedrooms did not have connections (he doesn't remember 100%) because they were talking about getting a splitter (little three way T-shaped thingamajig) and running long cables into the bedrooms. They never did it, but it can be done.
That blows my mind! If I had known, there is no way I would've chosen that room. It's very unlikely that I'd ever sit in the common room and watch TV. I'm calling tomorrow to find out what the deal is.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:39 pm

Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Kim617 wrote:Question about Gewirz-- is there cable connection in the bedrooms and the common room? Like, a total of 3 tvs can have cable? Or is it just in each bedroom?
I just chatted with a friend who lived in Gewirz. They had their TV (and connection) in the living area, and he's pretty sure at least some of the bedrooms did not have connections (he doesn't remember 100%) because they were talking about getting a splitter (little three way T-shaped thingamajig) and running long cables into the bedrooms. They never did it, but it can be done.
That blows my mind! If I had known, there is no way I would've chosen that room. It's very unlikely that I'd ever sit in the common room and watch TV. I'm calling tomorrow to find out what the deal is.
Those splitters cost like $4, mayyyybe a max of $20 for a super duper high quality one, and the coax cable is dirt cheap. It's really easy to do. Hell, I'll even help you with it.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:45 pm

gilchristh wrote:
oh that sucks.. im living in a 2 bedroom efficiency so there is barely anywhere to have a tv...

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:48 pm

gilchristh wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Those splitters cost like $4, mayyyybe a max of $20 for a super duper high quality one, and the coax cable is dirt cheap. It's really easy to do. Hell, I'll even help you with it.
Well because there isn't a box converter, all TVs on a splitter will have to watch the same channel. I've done it before that way, and it kind of sucks. I'm pretty sure dorm cable connections are all the same, and they consist of a wire coming out of the wall. The only way for all three TVs to have different channels would be if there was a box converter. Unless there is some new technology, a splitter isn't going to cut it for me LOL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:50 pm

iamtaw wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
oh that sucks.. im living in a 2 bedroom efficiency so there is barely anywhere to have a tv...
iamtaw, i just started watching the west wing. i got season one from netflix and i'm almost finished, i love it! obviously referencing your avatar, unless toby was in something else and then i just look like an idiot :)

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:51 pm

Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote:That blows my mind! If I had known, there is no way I would've chosen that room. It's very unlikely that I'd ever sit in the common room and watch TV. I'm calling tomorrow to find out what the deal is.
Well because there isn't a box converter, all TVs on a splitter will have to watch the same channel. I've done it before that way, and it kind of sucks. I'm pretty sure dorm cable connections are all the same, and they consist of a wire coming out of the wall. The only way for all three TVs to have different channels would be if there was a box converter. Unless there is some new technology, a splitter isn't going to cut it for me LOL
I don't know about a dorm room (never lived in one), but at my house a splitter works fine to split a coax from the wall into two tvs (showing different channels) without a box. It should work the same in a dorm with the cable as I understand it. I'd help if you want when we get there.

I haven't signed up for anything yet.. I need to get on it early tomorrow.

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote: Those splitters cost like $4, mayyyybe a max of $20 for a super duper high quality one, and the coax cable is dirt cheap. It's really easy to do. Hell, I'll even help you with it.
I don't know about a dorm room (never lived in one), but at my house a splitter works fine to split a coax from the wall into two tvs (showing different channels) without a box. It should work the same in a dorm with the cable as I understand it. I'd help if you want when we get there.

Good to know, it's never worked for me. We tried it in my dorm in Miami, and we couldn't watch different channels. Hopefully I can work it out.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
gilchristh wrote: Those splitters cost like $4, mayyyybe a max of $20 for a super duper high quality one, and the coax cable is dirt cheap. It's really easy to do. Hell, I'll even help you with it.

Good to know, it's never worked for me. We tried it in my dorm in Miami, and we couldn't watch different channels. Hopefully I can work it out.
I don't doubt you, but I've never seen it and hope that Gewirz doesn't work that way. BTW, what kind of Netflix account do you have? I am thinking of getting one, but haven't looked into it...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

js87

Bronze

Post by js87 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:07 pm

I signed up for the Capitol Hill walking tour and the food bank service project. The C&O canal thing sounded pretty cool, but it was like 6 hours long.

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:17 pm

Kim617 wrote:
iamtaw wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
iamtaw, i just started watching the west wing. i got season one from netflix and i'm almost finished, i love it! obviously referencing your avatar, unless toby was in something else and then i just look like an idiot :)
haha toby is my favorite. he's always so surly. love it

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:25 pm

Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote: Well because there isn't a box converter, all TVs on a splitter will have to watch the same channel. I've done it before that way, and it kind of sucks. I'm pretty sure dorm cable connections are all the same, and they consist of a wire coming out of the wall. The only way for all three TVs to have different channels would be if there was a box converter. Unless there is some new technology, a splitter isn't going to cut it for me LOL
I don't doubt you, but I've never seen it and hope that Gewirz doesn't work that way. BTW, what kind of Netflix account do you have? I am thinking of getting one, but haven't looked into it...
The splitter hooks to the coax cable before it reaches any television, so it won't know what channel each television wants to watch. It'll split signal to multiple televisions on different channels just fine (as long as it's hooked up right). I had to use a splitter over a decade ago for my picture-in-picture television, and it's precisely what enabled the TV to show a different channel in the PIP window than it did in the big one. So I think as long as you get a little installation help :wink: you'll be good!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote: Well because there isn't a box converter, all TVs on a splitter will have to watch the same channel. I've done it before that way, and it kind of sucks. I'm pretty sure dorm cable connections are all the same, and they consist of a wire coming out of the wall. The only way for all three TVs to have different channels would be if there was a box converter. Unless there is some new technology, a splitter isn't going to cut it for me LOL

Mine is like $14-$15 a month, and I can have two dvds out at a time and unlimited instant play. I picked that one because I wanted to be able to watch without waiting a couple of days, so when I finish one I send it back, and then by the time the next one comes, I've finished the second dvd I had out. I am really happy with it, it's very fast. Usually I send it back, they receive it the next day, and I receive the next one the day after.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kim617

Silver

Post by Kim617 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:29 pm

gilchristh wrote:
Unitas wrote:
Kim617 wrote:
Unitas wrote: I don't know about a dorm room (never lived in one), but at my house a splitter works fine to split a coax from the wall into two tvs (showing different channels) without a box. It should work the same in a dorm with the cable as I understand it. I'd help if you want when we get there.
The splitter hooks to the coax cable before it reaches any television, so it won't know what channel each television wants to watch. It'll split signal to multiple televisions on different channels just fine (as long as it's hooked up right). I had to use a splitter over a decade ago for my picture-in-picture television, and it's precisely what enabled the TV to show a different channel in the PIP window than it did in the big one. So I think as long as you get a little installation help :wink: you'll be good!
I'm pretty sure I won't need installation help. Thanks, though :) It'll be a little annoying to have a wire traveling throughout the entire apartment but you gotta do what you gotta do. My stepdad is a contractor, I'll make him bring his staple gun to staple it to the wall.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:21 am

gilchristh wrote:
Torvon wrote:edit: Also, anyone know how liberal they are with their increasing of budgets? I'm going to be asking for an increase in loans for rent, spouse health insurance and a laptop. Any chance they turn any of that down?
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE TO GET A LOAN INCREASE FOR RENT?!?!?
To those of you who posted that information, I think I might love you.

Torvon, the laptop increase is automatic, as long as it is within the parameters they allow (I think it's currently $1800 or actual cost, whichever is lower). The rest of it you all seem to have gotten!
Thanks, you've been very helpful. Here is kind of a random question. Do you have any suggestions on where my wife could start looking for a "decent" job? She is really interested in anything other than working at some fast food joint.

gilchristh

Bronze

Post by gilchristh » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:34 am

Torvon wrote:
gilchristh wrote:
Torvon wrote:edit: Also, anyone know how liberal they are with their increasing of budgets? I'm going to be asking for an increase in loans for rent, spouse health insurance and a laptop. Any chance they turn any of that down?
HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT IT WAS POSSIBLE TO GET A LOAN INCREASE FOR RENT?!?!?
To those of you who posted that information, I think I might love you.

Torvon, the laptop increase is automatic, as long as it is within the parameters they allow (I think it's currently $1800 or actual cost, whichever is lower). The rest of it you all seem to have gotten!
Thanks, you've been very helpful. Here is kind of a random question. Do you have any suggestions on where my wife could start looking for a "decent" job? She is really interested in anything other than working at some fast food joint.
I haven't looked at it, but I know the MBA program actually compiles a list of job postings specifically for spouses and significant others. I'd be happy to send it along if you send me a PM with your email address. I'd also suggest checking out the Georgetown University jobs site (--LinkRemoved--) for university positions and the GU site (I know it exists, but I don't how to find it) where companies post jobs for Georgetown students and alumni. I'd also suggest picking up copies of any university publications (not necessarily all 9,274 of them, but a couple at least) to see if they also contain job postings, which I imagine they would.

Torvon

Bronze

Post by Torvon » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 am

gilchristh wrote: I haven't looked at it, but I know the MBA program actually compiles a list of job postings specifically for spouses and significant others. I'd be happy to send it along if you send me a PM with your email address. I'd also suggest checking out the Georgetown University jobs site (--LinkRemoved--) for university positions and the GU site (I know it exists, but I don't how to find it) where companies post jobs for Georgetown students and alumni. I'd also suggest picking up copies of any university publications (not necessarily all 9,274 of them, but a couple at least) to see if they also contain job postings, which I imagine they would.
PM'd and thanks! (Again!)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am

15 days until I leave for DC!!!!

Volsi, you'll have to scope everything out for us, since you're there already!!!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 am

starrydecisus wrote:15 days until I leave for DC!!!!

Volsi, you'll have to scope everything out for us, since you're there already!!!
No problem. I am heading to the Ikea in College Park, MD today, so I can report on that. I'm also planning on stopping by the bookstore to see if our books have arrived already. Some of my books are available on amazon and some aren't.

I had a cable install today. Turns out my apartment had never had cable, so they had to drill and all that. Then, the cable box they brought didn't work. At least I have internet. Right now I have the following channels: ESPN News, CSPAN, Fox.

Is there anything anyone wants me to check out or report on?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 pm

volsi wrote:
starrydecisus wrote:15 days until I leave for DC!!!!

No problem. I am heading to the Ikea in College Park, MD today, so I can report on that. I'm also planning on stopping by the bookstore to see if our books have arrived already. Some of my books are available on amazon and some aren't.

I had a cable install today. Turns out my apartment had never had cable, so they had to drill and all that. Then, the cable box they brought didn't work. At least I have internet. Right now I have the following channels: ESPN News, CSPAN, Fox.

Is there anything anyone wants me to check out or report on?
I'm pretty sure Potomac Mills mall in northern va also has an ikea, along with a big mall and lots of shopping. I'm not sure which one is closer.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:16 pm

According to google, its 25 minutes to College Park and 40 minutes to Potomac, at least from my apartment. So College Park it is.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:16 pm

i noticed something weird about my address and was wondering if it was the same for everyone else.

My room number and mailbox number are off by a number. is your room number and mailbox number the same?

WhatUpKells

New

Post by WhatUpKells » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:00 pm

Once again, sorry for the kinda dumb question, but what's the format for our default e-mail password? I can't get into my undergrad e-mail anymore, and that's where they sent the instructions...

starrydecisus

Silver

Post by starrydecisus » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:11 pm

WhatUpKells wrote:Once again, sorry for the kinda dumb question, but what's the format for our default e-mail password? I can't get into my undergrad e-mail anymore, and that's where they sent the instructions...
Hey! Here ya go. And it's not a dumb question.

"Your default Law Center password begins with an upper-case letter "A", followed by the last 6 digits of your 9-digit GOCard number."

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:18 pm

iamtaw wrote:i noticed something weird about my address and was wondering if it was the same for everyone else.

My room number and mailbox number are off by a number. is your room number and mailbox number the same?
Mine aren't similar whatsoever.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”