UVA Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
mikeh915

New

Re: UVA Class of 2013

Post by mikeh915 » Mon May 31, 2010 6:06 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I think I've asked this before, but are there any beer snobs out there?
I very much am..light american beer makes me want to kill myself

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Mon May 31, 2010 6:11 pm

billyez wrote:That question reminds me, I told my friends that I intended not to drink when I went to law school...and was promptly laughed at. -__-
I'm going to ice you at some point during orientation, bro.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=iced
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiUO4UpUcTM

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon May 31, 2010 7:00 pm

^ Those links make me fear for the purity of my somewhat sheltered and Puritanical upbringing once I arrive at UVA. I am, I'm afraid, a conservative square for life and in all things.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I think I've asked this before, but are there any beer snobs out there?
Beer lover here. I don't know if there can be snobs when it comes to beer, at least not if you compare the worst of us to the wine community. I'm a home-brewer, actually; nothing to sophisticated but I manage to come up with some good ones here and there.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Mon May 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Philo38 wrote:
Beer lover here. I don't know if there can be snobs when it comes to beer, at least not if you compare the worst of us to the wine community. I'm a home-brewer, actually; nothing to sophisticated but I manage to come up with some good ones here and there.
Gonna keep on brewing when you get to Charlottesville?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Mon May 31, 2010 10:34 pm

oneforship wrote:I'm not a snob about it, but I definitely enjoy good beer.
I don't literally consider myself a snob, although...
mikeh915 wrote:I very much am..light american beer makes me want to kill myself
I've got to agree with mikeh.

With the exception of Sam Adams, I usually stick to microbrews. One of the hardest things about moving to Charlottesville is leaving regional brewer, Souther Tier (LinkRemoved). I know Dogfish Head gets all the love, especially when it comes to IPAs, but Southern Tier has some amazing offerings. If you check out their website, I've got a six pack of their newest brew, the 2XIPA, which is shown on the homepage. It's easy to drink, especially for a double IPA and 8.2%abv.
Philo38 wrote:Beer lover here. I don't know if there can be snobs when it comes to beer, at least not if you compare the worst of us to the wine community. I'm a home-brewer, actually; nothing to sophisticated but I manage to come up with some good ones here and there.
I would love to learn how to homebrew. I am finally going to have the space to try it. So if you're looking for some help...

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Mon May 31, 2010 11:31 pm

You should be able to get Southern Tier in Charlottesville. At least in bottles. I know the DC area and Richmond have it.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:54 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:You should be able to get Southern Tier in Charlottesville. At least in bottles. I know the DC area and Richmond have it.
:D

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:27 am

Last edited by blahblewblah on Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:35 am

Yeah, I love my beer too. I'll miss the Pittsburgh beer scene, there are a lot of good watering holes here. I did enjoy South Street Brewery when I was in town too and I had a cool bourbon stout at The Virginian though I can't remember the brewer.

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:56 am

Has any ITT sent in their official transcript directly to admissions yet?

I just remembered that we have to do this at some point before classes begin.

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:59 am

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:11 am

YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Has any ITT sent in their official transcript directly to admissions yet?

I have. :mrgreen:
Is this only for people coming straight out of ug?
EDIT: and 2Ls. :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

D Brooks

Silver

Post by D Brooks » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:21 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
YCrevolution wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Has any ITT sent in their official transcript directly to admissions yet?

I have. :mrgreen:
Is this only for people coming straight out of ug?
EDIT: and 2Ls. :D
Everyone has to send in an official transcript so they can verified that you have a B.A./B.S. or whatever. The one they got from LSAC doesn't count.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:33 am

D Brooks wrote:Everyone has to send in an official transcript so they can verified that you have a B.A./B.S. or whatever. The one they got from LSAC doesn't count.
Boo-urns. I suppose I should add this to my list of things to do. (i.e. figure out if I will have health insurance, get health forms filled out, etc.) You said the forms should be sent to admissions?

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:35 am

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:37 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah, I love my beer too. I'll miss the Pittsburgh beer scene, there are a lot of good watering holes here. I did enjoy South Street Brewery when I was in town too and I had a cool bourbon stout at The Virginian though I can't remember the brewer.
The only Pittsburgh microbrews I've had recently are Church and Rock Bottom. Anything else I should try before I leave?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:38 am

YCrevolution wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
D Brooks wrote:Everyone has to send in an official transcript so they can verified that you have a B.A./B.S. or whatever. The one they got from LSAC doesn't count.
Boo-urns. I suppose I should add this to my list of things to do. (i.e. figure out if I will have health insurance, get health forms filled out, etc.) You said the forms should be sent to admissions?
Transcript goes to law admissions. Health forms goes to the health services people (address is on the forms I believe).
Thanks!

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah, I love my beer too. I'll miss the Pittsburgh beer scene, there are a lot of good watering holes here. I did enjoy South Street Brewery when I was in town too and I had a cool bourbon stout at The Virginian though I can't remember the brewer.
The only Pittsburgh microbrews I've had recently are Church and Rock Bottom. Anything else I should try before I leave?
Yeah, though Church Brew Works is good. Penn Brewery is a fun German place. Fat Heads makes some of their own stuff on the south side and the food is good. Fat Heads is probably the best beer selection in the burgh, I think they run 39 taps right now. Hofbrauhaus is a good time on a friday night though the beer is really nothing exceptional. The Mad Mex's are good on selection usually.
Still, the best brewery in Pittsburgh is the East End Brewing which is down Penn Ave on the edge of Wilkinsburg. it is very small, like one room, but they have it together. Check their site for when they have growler hours, they brew some really, really good stuff.

badwithpseudonyms

Silver

Post by badwithpseudonyms » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:09 am

joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah, though Church Brew Works is good. Penn Brewery is a fun German place. Fat Heads makes some of their own stuff on the south side and the food is good. Fat Heads is probably the best beer selection in the burgh, I think they run 39 taps right now. Hofbrauhaus is a good time on a friday night though the beer is really nothing exceptional. The Mad Mex's are good on selection usually.
Still, the best brewery in Pittsburgh is the East End Brewing which is down Penn Ave on the edge of Wilkinsburg. it is very small, like one room, but they have it together. Check their site for when they have growler hours, they brew some really, really good stuff.
I forgot about Penn, and it's been way too long since I've been to Fat Heads. I checked out the East End site, and I'd swear on my dead relatives that I've had the Monkey Boy Hefe before, but I can't remember where or when (which would lead me to assume it was at a microbrew festival, but I don't see them on this year's roster :? ).

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:01 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
joeshmo39 wrote:Yeah, though Church Brew Works is good. Penn Brewery is a fun German place. Fat Heads makes some of their own stuff on the south side and the food is good. Fat Heads is probably the best beer selection in the burgh, I think they run 39 taps right now. Hofbrauhaus is a good time on a friday night though the beer is really nothing exceptional. The Mad Mex's are good on selection usually.
I forgot about Penn, and it's been way too long since I've been to Fat Heads. I checked out the East End site, and I'd swear on my dead relatives that I've had the Monkey Boy Hefe before, but I can't remember where or when (which would lead me to assume it was at a microbrew festival, but I don't see them on this year's roster :? ).
They served Monkey Boy at PNC Park for a while and may this season too. Some random bars carry East End stuff too, but its sporadic around where I live (Oakland).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:40 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Philo38 wrote:
Gonna keep on brewing when you get to Charlottesville?
Oh hell yeah.

Philo38

Bronze

Post by Philo38 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:43 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
oneforship wrote:I'm not a snob about it, but I definitely enjoy good beer.
I don't literally consider myself a snob, although...
mikeh915 wrote:I very much am..light american beer makes me want to kill myself
I've got to agree with mikeh.

With the exception of Sam Adams, I usually stick to microbrews. One of the hardest things about moving to Charlottesville is leaving regional brewer, Souther Tier (LinkRemoved). I know Dogfish Head gets all the love, especially when it comes to IPAs, but Southern Tier has some amazing offerings. If you check out their website, I've got a six pack of their newest brew, the 2XIPA, which is shown on the homepage. It's easy to drink, especially for a double IPA and 8.2%abv.
Philo38 wrote:Beer lover here. I don't know if there can be snobs when it comes to beer, at least not if you compare the worst of us to the wine community. I'm a home-brewer, actually; nothing to sophisticated but I manage to come up with some good ones here and there.
I would love to learn how to homebrew. I am finally going to have the space to try it. So if you're looking for some help...
Heck yeah, anytime. Actually (as strange as this may seem) I would love to have somebody to split batches with, the faster you drink um the faster you can get to the next batch. My S/O doesn't really like much outside of lagers and I usually end up with 50 beers to drink on my own / give to guests / give away, which is tough because I need the bottles back; I have a hard time getting rid of it all so I can start another, and I can't really justify having ~100 beers in the fridge at once.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Oh, I think you'll be able to find a few people in the Jeffersonian willing to help you out with that.

joeshmo39

Silver

Post by joeshmo39 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:12 pm

dailygrind wrote:Oh, I think you'll be able to find a few people in the Jeffersonian willing to help you out with that.
Or perhaps stop by after class on Friday. Or before class on Tuesday...

Beer + Diplomacy + Law School Puns = Good Night

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”