University of Washingon Class of 2013

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby HerseyChris » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:14 pm

seattleguy wrote:
jcl2 wrote:
TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:P.P.S. This is a new ALT so I can protect my identity, if possible. 8)


Wait, so are you a long time lurker or a regular poster with a new alt? I'm confused.

Anyway, congrats on UW. To answer your previous question, I will be moving to Seattle as soon as my wife finds a job there, obviously late August or early September at the latest, but hopefully sooner.

BTW, have you lived in Seattle before? I personally don't think the weather is that bad, the winters are a little gray, but pretty mild, and the summers are gorgeous and it almost never rains July-September.

For real about the weather, we just foster our rainy reputation so we dont get too many people trying to move up here and jack up our rent.

As far as when to move in, I'd suggest that if you can by August its better, because most students will be back and have signed leases by September. In August though its early enough that you'll have the pick of places in the UD.


I have to agree, I don't even notice the rain, but I'm more of an inside person except when I'm running or walking my dogs. Personally, I'd rather have Seattle weather over Boston, NY, Chicago, or St. Louis weather. Too cold, too much wind, too many downpours (as opposed to drizzle), too hot, etc.

For rent, I don't know much about the U-district, but the Green Lake area seems to have a lot of apartments for rent. The renting market isn't very good right now, so that's a plus.


And on an unrelated note, I won't be able to make ASD on the 16th, which sucks, but the first three weeks of April are my busiest at work, and I've had to work the last two Saturdays. Can't wait to meet you all in September though.

User avatar
TheCheerfulPessimist
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:20 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby TheCheerfulPessimist » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:55 pm

jcl2 wrote:
TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:P.P.S. This is a new ALT so I can protect my identity, if possible. 8)


Wait, so are you a long time lurker or a regular poster with a new alt? I'm confused.

Anyway, congrats on UW. To answer your previous question, I will be moving to Seattle as soon as my wife finds a job there, obviously late August or early September at the latest, but hopefully sooner.

BTW, have you lived in Seattle before? I personally don't think the weather is that bad, the winters are a little gray, but pretty mild, and the summers are gorgeous and it almost never rains July-September.


Well, I did post a few times in the past under my old ALT, but I considered myself more of a lurker. Hehe.

I'm actually quite familiar with the weather out here. I'm just one of the few who never got used to it. So it looks like August is probably the best time to move there. Wow, I can't believe it's only 4 months away until then.
Last edited by TheCheerfulPessimist on Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:57 pm

TheCheerfulPessimist wrote:Wow, I can't believe it's only 4 months away until then.


This is scary. Considering I have a 3000+ mile move ahead of me between now and then - yikes. Oh well, I did it once, I suppose I can do it again! Don't think I'll be moving away from the NW again after this, though, so this might be my last big x-country adventure/headache.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:27 pm

Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.

HerseyChris
Posts: 315
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby HerseyChris » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:37 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.


Due today? I think mine's not due for another two weeks. I don't think I'll send mine in... I don't think I'd get anything anyways, and I don't know if I'd want to receive money when it should go to someone more deserving (either better stats, or more charitable, or less well off financially) than myself. I think I'd probably feel guilty taking the money, and I'm more than happy to pay UW's super cheap tuition as it is. Good luck with your scholarship app though Aim.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

aimhigh09 wrote:Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.


Yeah I'm wondering this too. I haven't heard either.

QueueToo
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby QueueToo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:58 pm

legalease9 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.


Yeah I'm wondering this too. I haven't heard either.


I spoke with them last week and was told they were hoping to get decisions out the door this week. In addition they said they 'do not give bad news,' so take that for what its worth. Frankly, I'd prefer a letter saying I got no aid than nothing at all.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby legalease9 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 pm

QueueToo wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.


Yeah I'm wondering this too. I haven't heard either.


I spoke with them last week and was told they were hoping to get decisions out the door this week. In addition they said they 'do not give bad news,' so take that for what its worth. Frankly, I'd prefer a letter saying I got no aid than nothing at all.


Don't they have to give something, even if its just a summary of your loan eligibility? Maybe that comes later.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:42 pm

HerseyChris wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.


Due today? I think mine's not due for another two weeks. I don't think I'll send mine in... I don't think I'd get anything anyways, and I don't know if I'd want to receive money when it should go to someone more deserving (either better stats, or more charitable, or less well off financially) than myself. I think I'd probably feel guilty taking the money, and I'm more than happy to pay UW's super cheap tuition as it is. Good luck with your scholarship app though Aim.



Thanks! Yeah, my scholarship app was due April 7.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:57 pm

legalease9 wrote:
QueueToo wrote:
legalease9 wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote:Did any of you send in the scholarship application that was due today? I'm not getting my hopes up, but it would sure be nice to get something!

Also, has anyone received info regarding financial aid exclusive of scholarships? I filed my FAFSA back in February before their priority deadline, but no word yet. It would be nice to have this info before the seat deposit deadline.


Yeah I'm wondering this too. I haven't heard either.


I spoke with them last week and was told they were hoping to get decisions out the door this week. In addition they said they 'do not give bad news,' so take that for what its worth. Frankly, I'd prefer a letter saying I got no aid than nothing at all.


Don't they have to give something, even if its just a summary of your loan eligibility? Maybe that comes later.


Yes, they'll send you a financial aid package whether or not it includes scholarships/need based aid. I think last year I got mine in mid April, so I expect it to be similar this year. I speculate that it will all come at the same time, loan info along with scholarship and need based aid info, but I can't say for sure since I was just offered loans last year; it would be great if the result was different this year, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

QueueToo
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby QueueToo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:01 pm

I asked for an expedited reply (April 15th deadlines) just got an email from the law school saying I was being awarded no aid from the law school aid office; so much for no bad news. 'We know from experience that some of the initial scholarship offers we make will be declined. As more resources become available, we will reevaluate your scholarship application' (read: if people decline their award you may still get some). I called to get more information on when loan information is coming out and was informed of something I was not told anywhere else--they don't think I'm a Washington State resident any more. Any one have any experience with going through that process?

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:51 am

QueueToo wrote:I asked for an expedited reply (April 15th deadlines) just got an email from the law school saying I was being awarded no aid from the law school aid office; so much for no bad news. 'We know from experience that some of the initial scholarship offers we make will be declined. As more resources become available, we will reevaluate your scholarship application' (read: if people decline their award you may still get some). I called to get more information on when loan information is coming out and was informed of something I was not told anywhere else--they don't think I'm a Washington State resident any more. Any one have any experience with going through that process?

Yes, they apparently couldn't confirm that I was a resident based on my application, because I didn't submit a new application this year, so they didn't know whether or not I stayed in the state over the last year. I thought it was pretty ridicules, since I have lived in Washington since I was 14. My advice: get the residency classification form and associated documentation form turned in immediately and then bug the residency classification office to look at your file early. Your residency request will just get thrown in with all of the residency classification requests for the whole university, no separate pile for law students or even grad students in general from what I can tell, so the process can take a long time. I started by emailing the general contact email address listed for the residency classification office and explained to them that the law school was already making financial aid decisions, residency status does matter for some of the aid, some of the aid was limited, and that my residency status was very obvious and would only require a few minutes for them to determine, because of all of these things I was requesting that they review my status early rather than going through the whole 4-6 week process. Through a lengthy series of emails, I was eventually able to make that request to the director of the residency classification office, he agreed, and I got my residency status confirmed the next day. I would suggest trying to do something similar to expedite the process.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:02 pm

QueueToo wrote:I asked for an expedited reply (April 15th deadlines) just got an email from the law school saying I was being awarded no aid from the law school aid office; so much for no bad news. 'We know from experience that some of the initial scholarship offers we make will be declined. As more resources become available, we will reevaluate your scholarship application' (read: if people decline their award you may still get some). I called to get more information on when loan information is coming out and was informed of something I was not told anywhere else--they don't think I'm a Washington State resident any more. Any one have any experience with going through that process?


I got the same thing, although I am a Washington resident. I think money is super tight at the UW this year.

QueueToo
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby QueueToo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:06 pm

jcl2 wrote:Through a lengthy series of emails, I was eventually able to make that request to the director of the residency classification office, he agreed, and I got my residency status confirmed the next day. I would suggest trying to do something similar to expedite the process.


I think I got a voicemail from him today. The person who I talked to in the office said based on my information I should still be considered a resident. I emailed my form, a supplemental letter and documentation to the person I think is the head of the office in addition to the general address. I'm going to call tomorrow and follow up. Hopefully I'll hear before my 19 April deadline for University of Minnesota so I can make a decision based on full information.

Thanks!

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby daesonesb » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi class of 2013.

I am calling the financial aid office today, to see if not having that form in precludes me from getting considered for WA resident schollies.

If it does, that is fairly ridiculous, because there's been no mention of it whatsoever.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:44 pm

daesonesb wrote:Hi class of 2013.

I am calling the financial aid office today, to see if not having that form in precludes me from getting considered for WA resident schollies.

If it does, that is fairly ridiculous, because there's been no mention of it whatsoever.


If you were automatically considered a resident based on the information in your application you don't need to submit any separate residency forms. I would imagine they would have contacted you by now if they needed you to do the residency classification form; I think I got an email about it in February.

QueueToo
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby QueueToo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:20 pm

jcl2 wrote:If you were automatically considered a resident based on the information in your application you don't need to submit any separate residency forms. I would imagine they would have contacted you by now if they needed you to do the residency classification form; I think I got an email about it in February.


I never got that email. Thankfully the nice people in the Residency Office are expediting my application which is very nice. It is going to be interesting--assuming my residency works out--to go to a school so large; my undergrad institution was about 2,000 students which is going to make either of my top choices (UW and another large public university) quite an adjustment.

aimhigh09
Posts: 174
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:43 am

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby aimhigh09 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm

QueueToo wrote:
jcl2 wrote:If you were automatically considered a resident based on the information in your application you don't need to submit any separate residency forms. I would imagine they would have contacted you by now if they needed you to do the residency classification form; I think I got an email about it in February.


I never got that email. Thankfully the nice people in the Residency Office are expediting my application which is very nice. It is going to be interesting--assuming my residency works out--to go to a school so large; my undergrad institution was about 2,000 students which is going to make either of my top choices (UW and another large public university) quite an adjustment.


Same here - undergrad was around 1800. The law school itself is pretty small, though, and tucked into its own corner of campus, so I don't think we will get the full big state school experience that you would have as an undergrad. That was my impression, anyway!

QueueToo
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby QueueToo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:15 pm

aimhigh09 wrote: Same here - undergrad was around 1800. The law school itself is pretty small, though, and tucked into its own corner of campus, so I don't think we will get the full big state school experience that you would have as an undergrad. That was my impression, anyway!


I hope so but I'm guessing wider school services (registrar? financial aid [loans]? technical support?) will be a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:39 am

QueueToo wrote:
aimhigh09 wrote: Same here - undergrad was around 1800. The law school itself is pretty small, though, and tucked into its own corner of campus, so I don't think we will get the full big state school experience that you would have as an undergrad. That was my impression, anyway!


I hope so but I'm guessing wider school services (registrar? financial aid [loans]? technical support?) will be a bit of a bureaucratic nightmare.


I went to a school with about 10,000 students and I assumed those services where always a bureaucratic nightmare, sounds like they must be better at at least some small schools though.

User avatar
legalease9
Posts: 623
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby legalease9 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:47 am

Does anyone know what tuition is going to be for 2010-2011???

JIsaacSmith
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:06 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby JIsaacSmith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:22 pm

legalease9 wrote:Does anyone know what tuition is going to be for 2010-2011???


I believe it will be 22k in state for the 2010-11 school year... Not too sure about out of state tuition. I talked to Arlo Hammontree at the financial aid office and he informed me that tuition will most likely rise each year.

User avatar
jcl2
Posts: 482
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby jcl2 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:49 pm

JIsaacSmith wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Does anyone know what tuition is going to be for 2010-2011???


I believe it will be 22k in state for the 2010-11 school year... Not too sure about out of state tuition. I talked to Arlo Hammontree at the financial aid office and he informed me that tuition will most likely rise each year.


I think the big jump between last year and this year was the result of needing to fill the gap for lost state funding, I don't think it will be as dramatic in future years, but maybe that is just wishful thinking. There is a cap on how much they can raise tuition in a year, I think it is in the 8-10% range, but I am not sure exactly.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby daesonesb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm

You-Dubbers:

Just got off the phone with the guy from financial aid for UWLS, Arlo Hammontree, who is actually really nice (helpful on the phone, sent me a pdf of the scholarship app when I was out of town and trying to submit last minute, etc.)

Anyway, he said that if you check the box stating that you are a WA resident on your admissions app and on the scholarship app, you are considered for in-state scholarships. So: no sweat on rushing the residency forms. As long as those are processed by their own respective deadline (I think it's early sept. or late august, but dont quote me), you will get in state tuition as well.

Breathe easy, friends... and stop harassing the residency office :lol:

QueueToo
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:32 pm

Re: University of Washingon Class of 2013

Postby QueueToo » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:09 pm

daesonesb wrote:You-Dubbers:

Just got off the phone with the guy from financial aid for UWLS, Arlo Hammontree, who is actually really nice (helpful on the phone, sent me a pdf of the scholarship app when I was out of town and trying to submit last minute, etc.)

Anyway, he said that if you check the box stating that you are a WA resident on your admissions app and on the scholarship app, you are considered for in-state scholarships. So: no sweat on rushing the residency forms. As long as those are processed by their own respective deadline (I think it's early sept. or late august, but dont quote me), you will get in state tuition as well.

Breathe easy, friends... and stop harassing the residency office :lol:


That was not the impression I got. I checked WA resident on both but my am not being considered for in-state aid until my residency is sorted out. I need to talk to him again regardless and you are very right; he is indeed a very nice guy and told me my residency was in question in the first place (THANKS MR. HAMMONTREE!).




Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest