Berkeley Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
sandiecohen47

Bronze

Re: Berkeley Class of 2013

Post by sandiecohen47 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:12 am

gymboree wrote:
PalacioBarolo wrote:Gymboree you've got me worried. Though I suppose uber preparedness is what drew me to law school.
Worried because I'm moving out there so early? Am I too uber-prepared? Don't worry, I'm only there to enjoy the shopping and the fine weather. It's not like I'll be reading hornbooks in the law library for July 4th. Hmmmm.... but now that I mention it....
Haha, I'm the complete opposite and it's getting me a little (read: a lot) worried. I will be heading out for a brief 4-day trip in late June to secure either a 2BR with my best friend from college (assuming he doesn't move to SF) or a studio somewhere in Berkeley, Rockridge or Temescal. Then, I ship everything (bed, desk, bureau, etc) to this new future address in late July. I finish work on July 29, then I serve as the maid of honor in a wedding in DC in early August before I fly out west on the 9th. Unpack for 2 days... and BAM, orientation.

Just writing that out makes me realize how much of a bad idea this all sounds... I think I might rethink taking more time off.

But, I will definitely take part in this pact. I plan on reading only semi-trash this summer. This might be the last time I can do so for a while.

PalacioBarolo

New

Post by PalacioBarolo » Wed May 05, 2010 8:19 am

gymboree wrote:
PalacioBarolo wrote:I would love to be part of the pact, but I was thinking I should probably read The Legal Research Survival Manual (2002) (you know, the one by the Berkeley prof and librarian) considering I only took one legal studies class in school... Would you shun me for this one breach?
I have it and have ::shudder:: touched it already (yet haven't actually read it). It's very, very small. I encourage the group to overlook this one.
Thank you, thank you! I'm thrilled to hear it's a small book and that at least Gymboree believes it to be an exception to the pact. I'm in! Phew! (And here I thought I was done with acceptance cycles... I suppose it never ends, does it?)

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Wed May 05, 2010 1:18 pm

Ok, so after a long nerve-wracking decision, I'm going to Cal! Very excited to meet you all this summer. I've lived in the Bay Area since I started undergrad in (gasp!) 1995, so if anyone has any questions about this beautiful place, let me know!

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed May 05, 2010 1:24 pm

Yay Mahalo! Did you go to ASD?

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Wed May 05, 2010 1:45 pm

gymboree wrote:Yay Mahalo! Did you go to ASD?
Yes! I was there. One of the reasons I chose Berkeley was how open and approachable all the profs and staff seemed at ASD. Don't think I met any TLS people though?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gymboree

Silver

Post by gymboree » Wed May 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Cool - congrats again on your decision! PM'd you....

OandR

New

Post by OandR » Wed May 05, 2010 3:34 pm

I'm planning on applying next year, and am trying to learn all the ins-and-outs of financial aid and acceptances, I see in a lot of these Class of 2013 threads they start out with people who deferred? What is deferring about, why does someone apply in one year and then wait another year. I know, people must have varying reasons, but I was wondering if it is also a strategy to get $$, as I have heard of several people from UVA getting deferred and getting more money. Does this happen at Berkeley?

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed May 05, 2010 4:42 pm

OandR wrote:I'm planning on applying next year, and am trying to learn all the ins-and-outs of financial aid and acceptances, I see in a lot of these Class of 2013 threads they start out with people who deferred? What is deferring about, why does someone apply in one year and then wait another year. I know, people must have varying reasons, but I was wondering if it is also a strategy to get $$, as I have heard of several people from UVA getting deferred and getting more money. Does this happen at Berkeley?
UVA is doing this because they overenrolled this year. They basically have to bribe people to wait a year. I don't think it happens very commonly, even at UVA.

sandiecohen47

Bronze

Post by sandiecohen47 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 pm

MahaloMontana wrote:
gymboree wrote:Yay Mahalo! Did you go to ASD?
Yes! I was there. One of the reasons I chose Berkeley was how open and approachable all the profs and staff seemed at ASD. Don't think I met any TLS people though?
YAY! I'M GLAD YOU DECIDED TO STAY! I can't wait to meet you IRL come August.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Wed May 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Dudes, do yourselves favors and don't study before you get to school. There will seriously be enough time for that. Enjoy your summer, do some light reading or if you want, read some of the books on the summer reading list (they're all history or fluff legal books) and be relaxed and ready for the fall.

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Wed May 05, 2010 9:26 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Dudes, do yourselves favors and don't study before you get to school. There will seriously be enough time for that. Enjoy your summer, do some light reading or if you want, read some of the books on the summer reading list (they're all history or fluff legal books) and be relaxed and ready for the fall.
My plan is to run up massive tabs at night and eat breakfast burritos in the mornings. hth everyone.

Khasekhemwy

New

Post by Khasekhemwy » Thu May 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Kronk wrote:
My plan is to run up massive tabs at night and eat breakfast burritos in the mornings. hth everyone.
+1 to a summer of booze and breakfast burritos! I have absolutely no knowledge of legal research (I was a science major) but am not planning on doing any summer studying. If law school is anything like the first year of science grad school, which I fear it might be, it is probably worth trying to enter as mentally refreshed as possible.

Also, is anyone else living in Albany Village? It seems a bit steep at $1254 for a 1br (or I think 1500 for a 2br), but there are free utilities, cable TV, highspeed internet, garbage water and sewer as well as access to a community garden and cheap rec classes.. Plus living there means you have to split with a sig other (I don't think you need to be married, just living together) so rent+utilities etc end up at $627 per person. You can also walk to Solano which has a variety of restaurants and bars. It is also a not very long bike ride - or slightly longer bus ride - from campus. Anyway, since people seem to be looking into housing I thought I would mention this.

daviddel03

New

Post by daviddel03 » Thu May 06, 2010 6:50 pm

hey does anyone know what the deal is with football tickets? are they included in tuition or do you have to buy them seperately? i'm a huge college football fan and would like to go to a few games if classes permit :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Formerbruin

Bronze

Post by Formerbruin » Thu May 06, 2010 7:58 pm

daviddel03 wrote:hey does anyone know what the deal is with football tickets? are they included in tuition or do you have to buy them seperately? i'm a huge college football fan and would like to go to a few games if classes permit :P
Definitely not included in tuition, but the season tickets are pretty cheap (I think it was about $60 my 1L year for 6 home games?) (I think I ended up going to 4 of those). They theoretically sell student tickets at the game, but unless they're playing Eastern Washington, those are hard to get. You'll get an email about getting student football/basketball tickets.

ChaiChai

New

Post by ChaiChai » Mon May 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Committed this weekend.

For all you working people, how much notice are you giving your employers? I'm considering a month, because I've known for about a year that I'd be heading to law school.

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 pm

daviddel03 wrote:hey does anyone know what the deal is with football tickets? are they included in tuition or do you have to buy them seperately? i'm a huge college football fan and would like to go to a few games if classes permit :P
Just saw on the news that since Memorial Stadium is being renovated this year, 6 home Cal games will be played in SF at AT&T park (home of the Giants). Gorgeous place to play but MUCH smaller. Act quickly if you want tix.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Tue May 11, 2010 1:52 am

Rotor wrote:
Just saw on the news that since Memorial Stadium is being renovated this year, 6 home Cal games will be played in SF at AT&T park (home of the Giants). Gorgeous place to play but MUCH smaller. Act quickly if you want tix.
I think that's for the 2011 season. The 2010 (this year's) games will be played at Memorial.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rotor

Silver

Post by Rotor » Tue May 11, 2010 2:34 am

Dignan wrote:
Rotor wrote:
I think that's for the 2011 season. The 2010 (this year's) games will be played at Memorial.
Whoops. My bad. Guess I should listen better.
2011 confirmed here: http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl ... -body.html

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Tue May 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Anyone else apply for Cal Graduate housing and receive an email today? I applied for a 10-month lease, but the email asked if I would switch to a 12-month since priority goes to those leasing for the whole year. Not sure whether I should switch or not now :/

Update: Offer is for Manville. Have to accept by Friday... anyone else get a housing offer yet?

MahaloMontana

New

Post by MahaloMontana » Wed May 12, 2010 5:06 pm

wow, this is going to be great! I sat in the students section this past year for the Emerald Bowl, and the view of the field was fantastic...
Rotor wrote:
Dignan wrote:
Rotor wrote:
Whoops. My bad. Guess I should listen better.
2011 confirmed here: http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl ... -body.html

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Wed May 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Anyone else apply for Cal Graduate housing and receive an email today? I applied for a 10-month lease, but the email asked if I would switch to a 12-month since priority goes to those leasing for the whole year. Not sure whether I should switch or not now :/

Update: Offer is for Manville. Have to accept by Friday... anyone else get a housing offer yet?
I haven't heard anything back from housing, but I applied for a 12 month lease to begin with; so maybe they just sent out emails to those with 10 month requests?

FWIW, I have heard only bad things about Manville...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Wed May 12, 2010 7:47 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:

I haven't heard anything back from housing, but I applied for a 12 month lease to begin with; so maybe they just sent out emails to those with 10 month requests?

FWIW, I have heard only bad things about Manville...
I actually emailed her back and was able to switch to a 3-bd in Ida Jackson, but I had to get a 12-month and it starts in mid-July. I'm pretty happy though- location couldn't be much closer to the school, and I liked it well enough when I toured the place during ASD.

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:04 pm

Woot! Just got offered a spot in Jackson 8)

spiffypyro

New

Post by spiffypyro » Thu May 13, 2010 1:24 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:Woot! Just got offered a spot in Jackson 8)
Awesome, I'll be there too :) what kind of suite did you get?

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Thu May 13, 2010 1:26 pm

I applied for a 5-person suite. It is not dramatically cheaper, but I think it will be fun. And I agree Spiffy, you really can't get much closer to campus.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”