Wisconsin-Madison Class of 2013! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Re: Wisconsin-Madison Class of 2013!

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 am

Pearalegal wrote:Then I'd be able to use my family's season tickets to Lambeau more regularly.
I've never hit on a TLSer before, but.. Packer tickets.. oh man.
In Wisconsin, that is much sexier than a Yale JD.

Back on topic, I'm still bitter at Wisconsin. They will inevitably be the first school I apply to (and I hope they don't YP).. but a merit-based fee waiver would've really been nice.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:09 am

JollyGreenGiant wrote:I don't know your numbers but they rejected my merit-based fee waiver request as well when I was above both of their 75 percentiles. Although, I heard they give them out if you visit a forum or tour the campus. I'm still planning on applying and hoping that I can get a merit-based scholarship even though it is unlikely.
I didn't get a fee waiver when I toured. Maybe I should tour again.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:09 pm

superflush wrote:
JollyGreenGiant wrote:I don't know your numbers but they rejected my merit-based fee waiver request as well when I was above both of their 75 percentiles. Although, I heard they give them out if you visit a forum or tour the campus. I'm still planning on applying and hoping that I can get a merit-based scholarship even though it is unlikely.
I didn't get a fee waiver when I toured. Maybe I should tour again.
I personally never toured, but I read stories of people at forums getting fee waivers from Wisconsin. I don't know if it's true or not.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:51 pm

Sent in my app today! Best of luck to all of you! :)

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:46 pm

chewdak wrote:Leinie's or New Glarus?
New Glarus.

Totally Naked is one of the best beers of that type I have ever tried.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:15 am

I was admitted to the class of 2013 and I am not sure if I want to attend or not. Money will be a big issue, but if we put that aside does anyone have some encouraging things to say about Wisconsin. I also have some questions:

Where do most graduates work, I know people will throw Chicago in but how many grads actually end up there?

How long does it take to get used to the weather? I have lived in Missouri, Texas, Argentina, and Thailand. Most were pretty easy, I still thin Thailand is too hot and its December. A 100 inches of snow seems like the opposite extreme.

Anyone know what the faculty is like?

And, while dumb this question is important, do I need to get the AC in my car fixed if I go there, for future reference? I don't know how warm it gets toward the summer.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:35 am

MoS wrote:tWhere do most graduates work, I know people will throw Chicago in but how many grads actually end up there?
I can almost assure you that most grads do not go to Chicago
MoS wrote:And, while dumb this question is important, do I need to get the AC in my car fixed if I go there, for future reference? I don't know how warm it gets toward the summer.
Eh, you wouldn't need to, but it'd be a good idea anyway. In July, the average high is 82 and the average low is 61.

coolkatz321

Bronze

Post by coolkatz321 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:19 am

MoS wrote:I was admitted to the class of 2013 and I am not sure if I want to attend or not. Money will be a big issue, but if we put that aside does anyone have some encouraging things to say about Wisconsin. I also have some questions:

Where do most graduates work, I know people will throw Chicago in but how many grads actually end up there?
I think Wisconsin's placement is actually much, much better than the statistics reveal. A lot of their grads don't leave the state for at least a few years after graduating, and it's all for one very obvious reason--UW grads don't have to take the bar exam in Wisconsin. It's a huge perk and one that most of the students will likely take advantage of.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:24 am

coolkatz321 wrote:
MoS wrote:I was admitted to the class of 2013 and I am not sure if I want to attend or not. Money will be a big issue, but if we put that aside does anyone have some encouraging things to say about Wisconsin. I also have some questions:

I think Wisconsin's placement is actually much, much better than the statistics reveal. A lot of their grads don't leave the state for at least a few years after graduating, and it's all for one very obvious reason--UW grads don't have to take the bar exam in Wisconsin. It's a huge perk and one that most of the students will likely take advantage of.
Has anyone (students, grads, or admissions) led you to believe that or is that just a feeling you get? I mean it seems logical, and the not having to take the bar is an appealing aspect of Wisc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:43 pm

I went to the Open House, and that's the feeling that I got. A number of students take the IL bar exam just to get reciprocity from a few states, about half don't and just stay in WI. I kinda got the idea that they weren't hurting as much as many other similar law schools simply because WI tends to place locally and not into the large-city markets. However, Minneapolis, Chicago, and Milwaukee seemed to be the most common destinations by far. UW also places a little higher for government than most other schools. Just remember the state of Wisconsin is filled with cities in the 40k-100k range, we only have two larger cities in Milwaukee and Madison.

This chart might help a little: http://www.law.com/pdf/nlj/20080414empl ... trends.pdf

symbioticdep

New

Post by symbioticdep » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:27 am

This is the quickest turnaround time I've ever heard of--

Application was submitted Dec 17th. It was Complete Dec 21st, and I received an acceptance email December 22nd!

Definitely love UW-Madison...we'll see if it ends up being my top choice! I have a lot of schools to hear from still...

Prairie

Bronze

Post by Prairie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:21 am

in as of last week. am very tempted by wisconsin (3rd or 4th choice at this point), but i would like to look at some employment statistics. silly question: does their career services web page have any stats?!?!?! i can't find any information about which firms do oci, starting salaries, breakdown of students venturing into private practice, public interest, gov, etc. anyone have a link.

thanks,

p

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:26 am

Prairie wrote:in as of last week. am very tempted by wisconsin (3rd or 4th choice at this point), but i would l
ok at some employment statistics. silly question: does their career services web page have any stats?!?!?! i can't find any information about which firms do oci, starting salaries, breakdown of students venturing into private practice, public interest, gov, etc. anyone have a link.

thanks,

p
As a 1L here I can tell you that employment is really rough, especially for our class. MANY 2Ls have struck out and are eating up slots in the clinical/public interest work that traditionally goes to 1Ls. I'm top 15% and unemployed at the moment and it's pretty scary.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Simpler Times

New

Post by Simpler Times » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
Simpler Times wrote:
Prairie wrote:in as of last week. am very tempted by wisconsin (3rd or 4th choice at this point), but i would l
ok at some employment statistics. silly question: does their career services web page have any stats?!?!?! i can't find any information about which firms do oci, starting salaries, breakdown of students venturing into private practice, public interest, gov, etc. anyone have a link.

thanks,

p
As a 1L here I can tell you that employment is really rough, especially for our class. MANY 2Ls have struck out and are eating up slots in the clinical/public interest work that traditionally goes to 1Ls. I'm top 15% and unemployed at the moment and it's pretty scary.
:shock:

:?
If it makes you feel any better I've got some government interviews going on right now and will probably get something. It's a lot better here than it is at any peer school, unless you got into UCLA/Vanderbilt/UT or higher this place is the right place to go, but taking a year off is not a bad idea.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:10 am

Nightrunner wrote:I can't help but notice that this thread needs some love. Hopefully, with scholarships starting to come out, we'll get more traffic.

Anyone looking at places to live? I'm in the market, but haven't found anything good yet. Taking suggestions.

(In case it matters: I'm poor, and married with a son...so "location not likely to be puked on" is a plus.)
Add me to the list, got in off the waitlist on friday.

I'm going, probably will start looking for a place on admit weekend or shortly after.

anyone start a fb group for students who are going?

politicsmajor

New

Post by politicsmajor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:13 pm

Made it official yesterday: I'm gonna be a Badger this fall!

Not sure if anyone else is psyched about UW-M's newest ranking (28), jumping up 7 spots. I was considering BC (-2) and U of I (+2), so I like to think I picked the most promising pony of the bunch.

How many sweaters are all of you buying this summer? I think I might buy them by the lb.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 pm

politicsmajor wrote:Made it official yesterday: I'm gonna be a Badger this fall!

Not sure if anyone else is psyched about UW-M's newest ranking (28), jumping up 7 spots. I was considering BC (-2) and U of I (+2), so I like to think I picked the most promising pony of the bunch.

How many sweaters are all of you buying this summer? I think I might buy them by the lb.

I grew up here so I already got my 4 badger hoodies :P

you going to admit day this weekend?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Tea&Coffee

New

Post by Tea&Coffee » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi guys! Congrats on getting into UW-Madison, it's a great place to be and seems like it jumped a ton in rankings so that's awesome!

I'm a graduating senior (will be going to law school at Michigan next year), and am hoping to sublet my apartment for the summer! I realize most people move in during the fall, but if anyone needs a summer sublet please let me know.

It's one room of 4 total, all roommates will have graduated and will also be there this summer. It's for $350/month (I play 550 but this is a sublet so I'm reducing the price). 8 minute walk to the law school.

Just FYI: Leases on campus in Madison end August 14, and often the next day (August 15 or something) is move in for new places for the following year.

PM me if you're interested!

politicsmajor

New

Post by politicsmajor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot be there this weekend. I am in CA, and the airfare and ft job are getting in the way.

I kinda tempted to move-in in July to enjoy the much famed Madison summer. Plus, I think that will be early enough to avoid most of the law school/undergrad rush. Are you going there this weekend?

Oh, is Madison very hoodie-friendly? Is it a must have like a NorthFace jacket for Seattle?

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:01 am

Panther7 wrote:
politicsmajor wrote:Made it official yesterday: I'm gonna be a Badger this fall!

I grew up here so I already got my 4 badger hoodies :P

you going to admit day this weekend?

I tried to ask before on another thread, but what is the attire for the ASW?

donzoli

Bronze

Post by donzoli » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:05 am

Nightrunner wrote:Oh, that's what you meant. You put your question within the quote, so I got confused.

The first ASW was pretty dressed down - I wore an unbuttoned dress shirt and cargo pants, and I was definitely above median on the "dressed up" curve. The LEO Banquet, however, is pretty formal. If you plan to attend that, be prepared.

Ya, my bad, I screwed it up the first time. Were both the dinner on Friday and all of the Saturday the same as far as how people were dressed? Thanks for the info.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:27 am

donzoli wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:Oh, that's what you meant. You put your question within the quote, so I got confused.

The first ASW was pretty dressed down - I wore an unbuttoned dress shirt and cargo pants, and I was definitely above median on the "dressed up" curve. The LEO Banquet, however, is pretty formal. If you plan to attend that, be prepared.

Ya, my bad, I screwed it up the first time. Were both the dinner on Friday and all of the Saturday the same as far as how people were dressed? Thanks for the info.
I'm beginning to gather that the LEO banquet is shirt and tie expectations, i'll call the admissions office tomorrow to verify.

clc8883

New

Post by clc8883 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:10 am

Hey all--
Just got in off the waitlist yesterday! So excited. I went to Wisconsin for undergrad, and am also currently living in Madison, so if any of you coming from out of the area have any questions about housing, apartment hunting, campus, etc. feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to give you some insights.

Has anyone started a Facebook group yet? And....do any of you know of any admitted students events still coming up, or have they had all theirs already?

Can't wait to meet you all!!!!!!!!

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:44 am

clc8883 wrote:Hey all--
Just got in off the waitlist yesterday! So excited. I went to Wisconsin for undergrad, and am also currently living in Madison, so if any of you coming from out of the area have any questions about housing, apartment hunting, campus, etc. feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to give you some insights.

Has anyone started a Facebook group yet? And....do any of you know of any admitted students events still coming up, or have they had all theirs already?

Can't wait to meet you all!!!!!!!!
ASW is this weekend. and yes, facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=483301220264

iamtaw

Bronze

Post by iamtaw » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:52 am

current undergrad here. i unfortunately withdrew yesterday. hope TLSer gets my spot!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”