WUSTL Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
lobeca

New

Re: WUSTL Class of 2013

Post by lobeca » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:41 pm

* thanks to those who provided advice.

On another note:
Is any one interested in education law or disability law? Or am I alone here?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:50 pm

lobeca wrote:* thanks to those who provided advice.

On another note:
I'd imagine it is a pretty small field. I wonder what it would even entail. Have you done much research on it? I'd be interested to know what it involves.

b0dylanguage

New

Post by b0dylanguage » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:44 pm

What's up everyone?!

Who's going to the housing day? When is that, again? I feel like it might be worth it to fly out and go on those bus tours of the surrounding neighborhoods.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:47 pm

b0dylanguage wrote:What's up everyone?!

Who's going to the housing day? When is that, again? I feel like it might be worth it to fly out and go on those bus tours of the surrounding neighborhoods.
June 17th and like July 8th, info's on the admitted student board. I'll probably be at the earlier one, but I may take care of housing prior to that date. Hard to decide between taking care of everything early and getting first pick of places and sitting tight just in case a WL I can't refuse comes through.

Edit: Now that I see it on the screen, that doesn't jive with my current view of my WLs. The odds of getting any $ off of any of them are slim to none :? ... so I'll probably be securing housing ASAP.

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:30 am

Not that this is helpful to any of you, but my roommate situation is settled, allowing me to be lazy and stay my current apartment. I hate moving.

I also was a juror in a mock trial for the Advanced Trial course's final exam today at our future school. The judge was a practicing lawyer and 3Ls did the lawyering. It was about 6 hours long, and both sides had a respectable showing. I will definitely look into taking that class in the future. Anyone do mock trial in UG? Planning on doing trial work in general?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:32 am

mbaino wrote:Not that this is helpful to any of you, but my roommate situation is settled, allowing me to be lazy and stay my current apartment. I hate moving.

I also was a juror in a mock trial for the Advanced Trial course's final exam today at our future school. The judge was a practicing lawyer and 3Ls did the lawyering. It was about 6 hours long, and both sides had a respectable showing. I will definitely look into taking that class in the future. Anyone do mock trial in UG? Planning on doing trial work in general?
Not mock trial, but moot court. Reigning state champion in IL. :D

But now that I'm done tooting my own horn... seriously, moot court is a blast. And from what I can tell, it is a LOT more intense and rewarding in LS than in undergrad. I really hope I have the opportunity to do it again.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:35 am

mbaino wrote:Not that this is helpful to any of you, but my roommate situation is settled, allowing me to be lazy and stay my current apartment. I hate moving.

And did you seriously sit in there for 6 hours? Props to you for that, if you did.

lobeca

New

Post by lobeca » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:57 am

romothesavior wrote:
lobeca wrote:* thanks to those who provided advice.

On another note:
I'd imagine it is a pretty small field. I wonder what it would even entail. Have you done much research on it? I'd be interested to know what it involves.
Well disability law is varied. It can expanded in to civil liberties or labor regulation.
Education law is really small. I'm sure you could never specialize in it at any schools. But the laws that are of interest to me are section 504, IDEA, FERPA. These laws protect special education students and other public school students. It's where the two laws overlap.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 pm

got my financial aid award....basically what i expected. SIL award + need based loans....no need based grants. any know if one can take out loan amounts over the amount that is awarded?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:50 pm

najumobi wrote:got my financial aid award....basically what i expected. SIL award + need based loans....no need based grants. any know if one can take out loan amounts over the amount that is awarded?
No, and financial aid director is less than friendly. I met with her.

You only can for things like medical costs, children, a computer, etc. And you have to show proof. You cannot take out extra for things like a car payment, credit card debt, etc.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:02 pm

nowinGA wrote:
najumobi wrote:got my financial aid award....basically what i expected. SIL award + need based loans....no need based grants. any know if one can take out loan amounts over the amount that is awarded?

You only can for things like medical costs, children, a computer, etc. And you have to show proof. You cannot take out extra for things like a car payment, credit card debt, etc.
ah ok.....i was hoping i could take out more money for travel expenses at the beginning and end of the semesters and during the summer. not sure exactly how i would pay for moving to and living and working in a different cities during summers. i guess i would have to making it work with what they have given me.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

najumobi wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

ah ok.....i was hoping i could take out more money for travel expenses at the beginning and end of the semesters and during the summer. not sure exactly how i would pay for moving to and living and working in a different cities during summers. i guess i would have to making it work with what they have given me.
you try to get a paying job. That's really it.
Or you use what you currently have in savings before matriculating.

jumpropeck

New

Post by jumpropeck » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:31 pm

Anyone else having Admissions Process withdrawal? Constantly checking the mail, playing out different admissions / financial aid scenarios out in your head, etc.

I've made my decision and am very pleased to be headed to WUSTL in the fall. However, I am underwhelmed by the "thank you for your seat deposits. They will be applied to your first semester's tuition." message that is displayed in the status checker.

It's like running a marathon and finishing with a PR and there only being like THREE people at the finish line -- all of whom just point you directly to the bag check area and call you a cab to get home.

I thrive off of enthusiasm and new information. I am receiving neither of these things at the moment.

Please send us something, WUSTL.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:02 pm

jumpropeck wrote:Anyone else having Admissions Process withdrawal? Constantly checking the mail, playing out different admissions / financial aid scenarios out in your head, etc.

I've made my decision and am very pleased to be headed to WUSTL in the fall. However, I am underwhelmed by the "thank you for your seat deposits. They will be applied to your first semester's tuition." message that is displayed in the status checker.

It's like running a marathon and finishing with a PR and there only being like THREE people at the finish line -- all of whom just point you directly to the bag check area and call you a cab to get home.

I thrive off of enthusiasm and new information. I am receiving neither of these things at the moment.

Ha! When I finished my first marathon...my mom met me at bag check, looked at me and said "well what do you want to do now? we are really hungry."

But yes, a bit underwhelmed. I bet there may be a bigger "packet" of sorts after the refundable deposit date. They know a lot of people used that to buy time.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

fl0w wrote:
najumobi wrote:
nowinGA wrote:

you try to get a paying job. That's really it.
Or you use what you currently have in savings before matriculating.
yeah....i guess those are pretty obvious solutions i failed to think of.

ArtVandelay

Bronze

Post by ArtVandelay » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:57 pm

If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose WUSTL over Notre Dame? Why?

mbaino

New

Post by mbaino » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 am

romothesavior wrote:

And did you seriously sit in there for 6 hours? Props to you for that, if you did.
Yes, I did. Though there were some breaks and they gave me free food, of which I am very fond. Also, I call dibs on you being in my group if we wind up in that class together down the line. I like winning.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:43 am

jumpropeck wrote:Anyone else having Admissions Process withdrawal? Constantly checking the mail, playing out different admissions / financial aid scenarios out in your head, etc.

Big +1. I feel like I have nothing to do not that the admissions marathon is over. Even my time spent on TLS is less productive/informational, as I now spend most of my time hanging out in the lounge or arguing with people in other threads.

That said, I fully plan on going to the housing day in June. I may not even need to go for housing, since my roommate and I are probably going to get something set before then. I just want to go for the opportunity to spend time at WUSTL and meet some more of you fine folks.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:55 am

If you find a reasonably price place to live, you can probably stay a shade under their estimated COL and use some of that money for moving expenses. As it stand now, I think I'm going to take out about 3k less than my max loans. Maybe you can figure out a way to save money in one area of COL and use that to move?

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:56 am

romothesavior wrote:

Big +1. I feel like I have nothing to do not that the admissions marathon is over. Even my time spent on TLS is less productive/informational, as I now spend most of my time hanging out in the lounge or arguing with people in other threads.

That said, I fully plan on going to the housing day in June. I may not even need to go for housing, since my roommate and I are probably going to get something set before then. I just want to go for the opportunity to spend time at WUSTL and meet some more of you fine folks.
+1 I'm excited for WL season, even if I'm pretty sure I wouldn't accept anything other schools would be willing to give me anyway. Sad that for me "adrenaline junkie" means wishing I had more law school decisions coming down the pipe :roll: At least my meme-brandishing skills are currently operating at an all-time high.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:40 am

romothesavior wrote:
If you find a reasonably price place to live, you can probably stay a shade under their estimated COL and use some of that money for moving expenses. As it stand now, I think I'm going to take out about 3k less than my max loans. Maybe you can figure out a way to save money in one area of COL and use that to move?
i think i may just live with a roommate, since it would save me more than 2700 over the course of the year by switching from my current plans to live by myself.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:32 am

Has anyone heard any news on the Websters yet? I was told before May.

kdw94780

Bronze

Post by kdw94780 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:40 am

ArtVandelay wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose WUSTL over Notre Dame? Why?

I did!

1) I'm from Missouri and really like St. Louis.
2) My bf can more easily come to live with me and find work.
3) WUSTL for the last few years consistently outranks NDLS.
4) I'm an atheist, so I probably would feel a little uncomfortable in a religious environment like that all the time.
5) NDLS offered 54k, WUSTL offered 114k.
6) WUSTL seems to offer awesome clinics/externships and guarantees 100% of students can participate...I so want to do the American Indian Summer Clinic.
7) Overall, I thought WUSTL's course catalog filled my interests a little bit more.

They're both good schools so good luck! I was honored enough to be accepted into NDLS because it seems like they look for more than just high numbers (lots of high numbers apps w/l or rejected on LSN) I think it really comes down to your personal preference.

camstant

Bronze

Post by camstant » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:10 am

ArtVandelay wrote:If you don't mind me asking, did anyone choose WUSTL over Notre Dame? Why?
Yep, I did.

1. Closer to home and my gf.
2. WUSTL gave me a little bit more money
3. I want to work in the midwest; ND doesn't have a clear advantage here. Maybe in chi, but even that's debatable
4. WUSTL's clinical program
5. ND is in a college town, and I'm ready for a change of pace from the one I'm already in
6. The catholic school thing has never really appealed to me.

If you don't have geographic reasons for picking one over the other and the money is about the same you can't really go wrong in your decision

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:49 am

I also picked WUSTL over ND (well, I've withdrawn from ND and not WUSTL at least, but WUSTL was my reason for passing up ND).

WUSTL gave me more than twice the money that ND did. Also, I have family in St. Louis, so it was a no brainer.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”