UChicago Class of 2013 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
nordicsair

New

Re: UChicago Class of 2013

Post by nordicsair » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:32 am

I got my username and password for the Admitted Students' Website...
+1 on that, though there's not much information on the site yet.
I've been reading tls for a while, but finally made an account today just to say congrats all for 2013 status.

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:25 pm

so who's in the facebook group? should be easy to figure out who i am.

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:22 am

echoi wrote:so who's in the facebook group? should be easy to figure out who i am.
Edward? Texas '09 (total shot in the dark)

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 am

:D

edit: haha, you're about as easy to figure out as me, mr. jones.

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:41 am

echoi wrote::D

edit: haha, you're about as easy to figure out as me, mr. jones.
Guilty

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:58 pm

A couple days ago I was on a plane from Seattle to LA. I was conversing with the person sitting next to me and it came up that I was going to law school next year. When asked where, I told him that I was going to the University of Chicago. He seemed a bit surprised, and he said that he didn't know that UChicago had a law school. He then asked why I chose to go out there for law school, so I told him some reasons why I like the school. He was confused why I would go there, and inquired why I didn't choose Seattle U. I let him know that I never really considered that school and that I didn't apply. Of course, he followed that with a lecture about how great of a school Seattle U is and how much of a shame it is that I didn't ever consider going to Seattle U and instead decided to go to this random school called UChicago. :roll:

patrickchillis

New

Post by patrickchillis » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:09 pm

i did a search for the fb group, can someone provide a link?

echoi

Bronze

Post by echoi » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:38 pm

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:45 pm

We have to revive this thread! Otherwise, we'll reinforce Chicago's reputation as boring and serious.

I don't know about you guys, but I am looking at apartments in Hyde Park. I guess I'm going to fly there in Julyish and try to see a bunch of places. The rent prices are so much lower than I'm paying now, I'm kvelling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:53 pm

thorntll wrote:We have to revive this thread! Otherwise, we'll reinforce Chicago's reputation as boring and serious.

I don't know about you guys, but I am looking at apartments in Hyde Park. I guess I'm going to fly there in Julyish and try to see a bunch of places. The rent prices are so much lower than I'm paying now, I'm kvelling.
Where are you from? (Because its more than I'm paying now)

I live in Atlanta btw...

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:11 pm

Charlottesville. So all those folks excited to go to UVA... Get ready for that.

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:16 pm

The major reason I chose Chicago to ED to over Columbia is because I have an aunt that lives very close to Hyde Park that used to teach at Chicago's medical school who has agreed to let me live with her for free for the entire three years. I'm still debating on whether or not that's what I want to do.

Edit: I said that to say that I need to price apartments to decide what I should do. I was planning on doing it before or after ASW.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:23 pm

That's not a bad deal. It won't help you get the ladies though... ;-)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:52 pm

thorntll wrote:That's not a bad deal. It won't help you get the ladies though... ;-)
My girlfriend is up for an analyst position with JP Morgan in Chicago. If she gets that, I would probably live with her, if she doesn't and we stay together, that doesn't matter. Thats the other major factor beyond the prices.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Yeah, my BF is trying to find a job in Chicago. Except that he's a radio DJ, and those jobs aren't just lying around. We'll see!

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:06 pm

thorntll wrote:Yeah, my BF is trying to find a job in Chicago. Except that he's a radio DJ, and those jobs aren't just lying around. We'll see!
Good luck with that.

ontologyfail

Bronze

Post by ontologyfail » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:37 am

What is everyone doing over the summer? My current job ends April 30, and I have no idea what to do until school starts. I could go live at home with my parents for the summer, but none of my friends live in our hometown anymore, so it doesn't seem like the best use of my last few months of freedom.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:45 am

ontologyfail wrote:What is everyone doing over the summer? My current job ends April 30, and I have no idea what to do until school starts. I could go live at home with my parents for the summer, but none of my friends live in our hometown anymore, so it doesn't seem like the best use of my last few months of freedom.
I'm applying for engineering and 0L internships. I would prefer the latter but I likely have a better chance at the former.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:30 pm

ontologyfail wrote:What is everyone doing over the summer? My current job ends April 30, and I have no idea what to do until school starts. I could go live at home with my parents for the summer, but none of my friends live in our hometown anymore, so it doesn't seem like the best use of my last few months of freedom.
I'll be working my same job until school starts. I like my job, but I'm also excited to move to Chicago and wish I didn't have to wait until September.

gotmilk?

Bronze

Post by gotmilk? » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:34 pm

I'm going to try to take it easy as much as I can so I won't burn out during 1L. Maybe I'll get a fairly easy job and make some money, but it is probably more likely that I'll do some volunteer work at my church, go on a mission trip to Mexico, and hang out a bit. Of course, this is all assuming that there isn't much worth to resume building the summer before law school. Is this assumption right?

of Benito Cereno

Silver

Post by of Benito Cereno » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 pm

jerjon2 wrote:The major reason I chose Chicago to ED to over Columbia is because I have an aunt that lives very close to Hyde Park that used to teach at Chicago's medical school who has agreed to let me live with her for free for the entire three years. I'm still debating on whether or not that's what I want to do.

Edit: I said that to say that I need to price apartments to decide what I should do. I was planning on doing it before or after ASW.
My cousin went to Chicago law and lived in a sweet one-bedroom in a big downtown glass tower with lake views etc for 1,500 2L and 3L and an amazing (beautiful old building)1,200 sq foot 2 bedroom with a friend during 1L about 10 minutes walking distance to campus (closer to main campus) for 800 per person. I visited her during her 1L and 3L years and both years and was totally blown away by the quality of apartments students lived in and how cheap.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jerjon2

Bronze

Post by jerjon2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:04 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:
jerjon2 wrote:The major reason I chose Chicago to ED to over Columbia is because I have an aunt that lives very close to Hyde Park that used to teach at Chicago's medical school who has agreed to let me live with her for free for the entire three years. I'm still debating on whether or not that's what I want to do.

My cousin went to Chicago law and lived in a sweet one-bedroom in a big downtown glass tower with lake views etc for 1,500 2L and 3L and an amazing (beautiful old building)1,200 sq foot 2 bedroom with a friend during 1L about 10 minutes walking distance to campus (closer to main campus) for 800 per person. I visited her during her 1L and 3L years and both years and was totally blown away by the quality of apartments students lived in and how cheap.
Thats still more than i'm used to though. My rent is just over 700 a month in midtown Atlanta. My apartment is only ok but I don't really need the place to be great.

nordicsair

New

Post by nordicsair » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 am

What do you think admissions is going to do to aid in the roommate search? I'm going to be completely new to the Chicago area and I don't know anyone else in the 2013 class (yet :D )

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:07 am

Can anyone find the Need Access form on the Admitted Student's site? It's due Feb. 1 and I have yet to see it.

thorntll

Bronze

Post by thorntll » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:10 am

thorntll wrote:Can anyone find the Need Access form on the Admitted Student's site? It's due Feb. 1 and I have yet to see it.
Nevermind... Found it. It's NeedAccess.org.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”