It's not too late to rethink this whole endeavor! Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2013)
Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: It's not too late to rethink this whole endeavor!

Post by Bildungsroman » Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 am

TTTGrad wrote:[strike]To the original poster: Don't bother, your warning will fall on deaf ears.

Although your message is laudable, you are dealing with a generation that has been brainwashed into thinking that a legal career = wealth and success. Kids from Generation Y generally[/strike] I have shit for brains. [strike]I have practiced law for almost 20 years and the current climate from an employer's perspective is quite brutal. These kids have been warned so I won't feel sorry for them as I do for the Classes of 2009 and 2010 (these folks did not have the benefit of knowing that the economy would tank). As a midlaw partner who worked in biglaw and in-house counsel, my opinion is that going to law school these days is a losing proposition unless you go YHS and graduate in the top quarter. The rest of the T14 and TTTs are worthless in my opinion since these kids are not bringing any tangible skills, practical legal experience or a book of business. Since 2009 my firm has received hundreds of resumes from lawyers (laid off and deferred mostly) that have T14, law review, moot court, etc. credentials. These resumes go in the trash bin. If I can't send you in to argue a motion for summary judgment on day 1 or you don't have a portable business of at least $2M, you are of no use to me. Biglaw is currently re-deferring the Class of 2009 in addition to the Class of 2010 (these poor souls will never start) and the bulk of legal work is being outsourced to India and the Philippines to barristers for pennies on the dollar. But hey, these kids have put their deposits down and have swallowed the Dean's rosy outlook about how in 2016 the economy will be booming and demand for lawyers will be at an all-time high. So OP, leave these kids alone and let them learn the hard way.[/strike]
FTFY

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri May 28, 2010 10:58 am

MOD EDIT: spamming your blog in your first post? For shame: this is a yellow card.
PWNED.

Mod had mercy though; if it was me, it would've been an insta-red card.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri May 28, 2010 10:59 am

I am a TTT grad in that I didn't come from YHS Law and in my opinion all other schools are TTT. I attended a Tier 1 law school (T25 to be specific) during the end of the Golden Age of the legal profession (i.e., your daydreaming version of "models and bottles" days). To the kid who says I have no credibility, I seek no validation from you. My statement is offered for what it is worth. I know you have already made the plunge. Study your ass off, cross your fingers and pray your investment doesn't sour. I hope for my sake I am wrong (re: the economy) but I am a realist and I archived my rose tinted glasses back in the late '90s. If you are in the T14 (excluding YHS) on a full scholarship, I suppose it won't harm you (unless you count the opportunity cost of three years of wages). However, for those paying sticker or are on partial scholarship, my advice is to stick it out for one semester. If your grades are not in the top quarter, you are wasting your time and money continuing on a downward spiral.[/quote]

Really??? So what would you have done with those three years had you not gone to law school? Serious, I challenge all of these naysayers to offer some constructive advice for once instead of just coming on here and being like "don't go to law school, you'll make more money doing something else" and yet they never say what this "something else" is. please share this secret wisdom that law school applicants, along with the rest of the unemployed in this country must be missing. What is this secret career that has no risk, positive return on investment and job security?

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 28, 2010 11:00 am

This is my first time ever saying this, but this dude is obviously a retarded troll from JDU. He will come back and say something like "You're just saying that because I told you that you wouldn't be wearing Alden shoes to your BIGLAW job!!!". No, it's because the statements you've made here thus far are so incredibly exaggerated and retarded.

...Huh? I don't think you understand what I was trying to say. I'm disagreeing with the idea that a T-14 graduate with law review and moot court experience is worthless to a law firm. My point is that if someone that ridiculously successful is trash to a firm, how in the hell would a top 25% HYS grad magically be anymore useful? My career goals aren't money, either, so I highly doubt I'll ever end up JDU angry that I didn't get biglaw.
I agree with you man. I was talking about TTTgrad. I really shouldn't respond to him but I'm bored at work.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought this was the second time this week I was being called a JDU troll out of nowhere, and I was about ready to throw my pot of spaghetti into the wall.
Last edited by Tanicius on Fri May 28, 2010 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri May 28, 2010 11:00 am

Locke N. Lawded wrote:Actually, bar review whoring pays pretty well.

You typically do need to have a JD and be a licensed attorney just because it's hard to sell something you have never had to endure yourself.

Base pay is $50K with commissions up to an additional $50K. Actually just got a nice commission check for $11K this week.

It's not a bad gig, actually. It's sort of like running your own business. You get to travel to lots of different schools around the country, give away swag, and raffle off iPods. The cons are having to schlep tons of crap around--and competition in this market is fierce.

Those 2008 and 2009 classmates of mine who managed to land jobs--with the exception of the lucky handful who got BigLaw--are all working BigLaw hours doing PI or ID work for less than what I make in base pay.
I love sales how does one get to land a job such as yours?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 28, 2010 11:02 am

stintez wrote:

You typically do need to have a JD and be a licensed attorney just because it's hard to sell something you have never had to endure yourself.

Base pay is $50K with commissions up to an additional $50K. Actually just got a nice commission check for $11K this week.

It's not a bad gig, actually. It's sort of like running your own business. You get to travel to lots of different schools around the country, give away swag, and raffle off iPods. The cons are having to schlep tons of crap around--and competition in this market is fierce.

Those 2008 and 2009 classmates of mine who managed to land jobs--with the exception of the lucky handful who got BigLaw--are all working BigLaw hours doing PI or ID work for less than what I make in base pay.
You need to go to law school.

Oh, shit.

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri May 28, 2010 11:11 am

Tanicius wrote:
stintez wrote:

Oh, shit.
No shit halftard I was talking about after getting bent over by the law school train.

Mosca

Bronze

Post by Mosca » Fri May 28, 2010 11:17 am

stintez wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
stintez wrote:

Oh, shit.
No shit halftard I was talking about after getting bent over by the law school train.
Wow, that went right over your head.

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:27 am

stintez wrote:No shit halftard I was talking about after getting bent over by the law school train.
Srsly?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WhoIsJohnGalt

New

Post by WhoIsJohnGalt » Fri May 28, 2010 11:36 am

pjo wrote:I am a TTT grad in that I didn't come from YHS Law and in my opinion all other schools are TTT. I attended a Tier 1 law school (T25 to be specific) during the end of the Golden Age of the legal profession (i.e., your daydreaming version of "models and bottles" days). To the kid who says I have no credibility, I seek no validation from you. My statement is offered for what it is worth. I know you have already made the plunge. Study your ass off, cross your fingers and pray your investment doesn't sour. I hope for my sake I am wrong (re: the economy) but I am a realist and I archived my rose tinted glasses back in the late '90s. If you are in the T14 (excluding YHS) on a full scholarship, I suppose it won't harm you (unless you count the opportunity cost of three years of wages). However, for those paying sticker or are on partial scholarship, my advice is to stick it out for one semester. If your grades are not in the top quarter, you are wasting your time and money continuing on a downward spiral.
Really??? So what would you have done with those three years had you not gone to law school? Serious, I challenge all of these naysayers to offer some constructive advice for once instead of just coming on here and being like "don't go to law school, you'll make more money doing something else" and yet they never say what this "something else" is. please share this secret wisdom that law school applicants, along with the rest of the unemployed in this country must be missing. What is this secret career that has no risk, positive return on investment and job security?

It's obviously tough out there but I think you're looking at it a bit too narrowly. For starters, one thing you could do is not go to law school. That "something else", whatever it is, would result in not incurring +100K in debt. I'm being general but the vast number of people going to school are debt financing and are going to graduate with very few job prospects.

Unemployment for 3 years > Unemployed in 3 years + 100K debt

Again, for some people it will make sense and I'm not going to even try to draw a line to decide where that is.

wakefield

Bronze

Post by wakefield » Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am

WhoIsJohnGalt wrote:
pjo wrote:I am a TTT grad in that I didn't come from YHS Law and in my opinion all other schools are TTT. I attended a Tier 1 law school (T25 to be specific) during the end of the Golden Age of the legal profession (i.e., your daydreaming version of "models and bottles" days). To the kid who says I have no credibility, I seek no validation from you. My statement is offered for what it is worth. I know you have already made the plunge. Study your ass off, cross your fingers and pray your investment doesn't sour. I hope for my sake I am wrong (re: the economy) but I am a realist and I archived my rose tinted glasses back in the late '90s. If you are in the T14 (excluding YHS) on a full scholarship, I suppose it won't harm you (unless you count the opportunity cost of three years of wages). However, for those paying sticker or are on partial scholarship, my advice is to stick it out for one semester. If your grades are not in the top quarter, you are wasting your time and money continuing on a downward spiral.

It's obviously tough out there but I think you're looking at it a bit too narrowly. For starters, one thing you could do is not go to law school. That "something else", whatever it is, would result in not incurring +100K in debt. I'm being general but the vast number of people going to school are debt financing and are going to graduate with very few job prospects.

Again, for some people it will make sense and I'm not going to even try to draw a line to decide where that is.
People with full rides/substantial scholarships are better off going to law school than making 25k with useless BA/BS degrees. For those of us who aren't engineers, law school is better than the alternative, and the "opportunity cost" is laughable.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Fri May 28, 2010 11:45 am

On another topic... Nightrunner and vanwinkle are mods now??? I've been away from TLS for too long. No offense to the incumbent mods is meant by this, you folks are great, but the collective pool of moderator awesomeness had to have increased by at least 30% when it happened.

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Fri May 28, 2010 11:47 am

TTTGrad wrote:To the original poster: Don't bother, your warning will fall on deaf ears.

Although your message is laudable, you are dealing with a generation that has been brainwashed into thinking that a legal career = wealth and success. Kids from Generation Y generally have shit for brains. I have practiced law for almost 20 years and the current climate from an employer's perspective is quite brutal. These kids have been warned so I won't feel sorry for them as I do for the Classes of 2009 and 2010 (these folks did not have the benefit of knowing that the economy would tank). As a midlaw partner who worked in biglaw and in-house counsel, my opinion is that going to law school these days is a losing proposition unless you go YHS and graduate in the top quarter. The rest of the T14 and TTTs are worthless in my opinion since these kids are not bringing any tangible skills, practical legal experience or a book of business. Since 2009 my firm has received hundreds of resumes from lawyers (laid off and deferred mostly) that have T14, law review, moot court, etc. credentials. These resumes go in the trash bin. If I can't send you in to argue a motion for summary judgment on day 1 or you don't have a portable business of at least $2M, you are of no use to me. Biglaw is currently re-deferring the Class of 2009 in addition to the Class of 2010 (these poor souls will never start) and the bulk of legal work is being outsourced to India and the Philippines to barristers for pennies on the dollar. But hey, these kids have put their deposits down and have swallowed the Dean's rosy outlook about how in 2016 the economy will be booming and demand for lawyers will be at an all-time high. So OP, leave these kids alone and let them learn the hard way.
Well shit. I guess since TTTGrad told me I'm going to be screwed and hate my life in three years I guess it must be true. I suppose I better give up on a career I've been looking forward to for years and go send that withdrawal email now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WhoIsJohnGalt

New

Post by WhoIsJohnGalt » Fri May 28, 2010 11:51 am

wakefield wrote:
WhoIsJohnGalt wrote:

People with full rides/substantial scholarships are better off going to law school than making 25k with useless BA/BS degrees. For those of us who aren't engineers, law school is better than the alternative, and the "opportunity cost" is laughable.
Absolutely. There's no question about that - as long as the full/partial ride is there. When you take that away, the picture grows much more dim. I'm just envisioning when the useless BA/BS majors get to their first interview and are asked why they want to practice law, "Because I couldn't hack it with my English major in the real world."

Fact: People who can't hack it in the real world generally can't make it rain. Law firms know this.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Fri May 28, 2010 11:54 am

stintez wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
stintez wrote:

Oh, shit.
Jesus Christ. My morning has been rough.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri May 28, 2010 11:57 am

wakefield wrote:
WhoIsJohnGalt wrote:

This is exactly what I was saying. whosjohngalt, go back and look at what you said (which I bolded). You seem to think that its only moderately beneficial at best for an applicant to accept half-schooly at a T14 as opposed to just going into the workforce right now. Unless your sitting on a pile of gold come graduation from UG, how would accepting a half-scholly to a T14 or even a full scholly to a strong regional be a bad decision? With a BA you're lucky to be making 30k/yr (that is if you even find a job, which I've already explained is hard enough for recent college grads). Even if you only end up making 40k graduating from law school, as long as you didn't tak out astronomical amounts of money to attend school, law school would be a wise investment. Why? 1.your potential to make money over the longhaul is statistally greater than someone with just a bachelors 2.chances are you'll be happier at your job, at least in relative terms. I know I at least would enjoy my job and life much more if I was making 40k/yr as a lawyer as opposed to 40k/yr in sales. I guess no.2 comes down to some personal preference but still.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Fri May 28, 2010 11:58 am

TTTGrad wrote:As a midlaw partner who worked in biglaw and in-house counsel, my opinion is that going to law school these days is a losing proposition unless you go YHS and graduate in the top quarter.
How does one finish in the top quarter at Yale? I thought they didn't do grades. Are all Yale grads screwed because they can't finish in the top quarter of their class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueCivic

Bronze

Post by BlueCivic » Fri May 28, 2010 12:03 pm

holydonkey wrote:
TTTGrad wrote:As a midlaw partner who worked in biglaw and in-house counsel, my opinion is that going to law school these days is a losing proposition unless you go YHS and graduate in the top quarter.
How does one finish in the top quarter at Yale? I thought they didn't do grades. Are all Yale grads screwed because they can't finish in the top quarter of their class?
Actually none of YHS do real grades anymore. So maybe the poster is using his lawyerly logical reasoning skills to show us that no law students get jobs of any kind.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:05 pm

This guy isn't very bright. He's somewhat correct, for a large number of law students it is an awful decision. But claiming you have to be top 25% at Yale is fucking retarded. You don't even have to be top 25% at Texas for it to pay off.

I wouldn't go below USC for any less than full ride.
Last edited by 09042014 on Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 pm

pjo wrote:
wakefield wrote:
WhoIsJohnGalt wrote:

This is exactly what I was saying. whosjohngalt, go back and look at what you said (which I bolded). You seem to think that its only moderately beneficial at best for an applicant to accept half-schooly at a T14 as opposed to just going into the workforce right now. Unless your sitting on a pile of gold come graduation from UG, how would accepting a half-scholly to a T14 or even a full scholly to a strong regional be a bad decision? With a BA you're lucky to be making 30k/yr (that is if you even find a job, which I've already explained is hard enough for recent college grads). Even if you only end up making 40k graduating from law school, as long as you didn't tak out astronomical amounts of money to attend school, law school would be a wise investment. Why? 1.your potential to make money over the longhaul is statistally greater than someone with just a bachelors 2.chances are you'll be happier at your job, at least in relative terms. I know I at least would enjoy my job and life much more if I was making 40k/yr as a lawyer as opposed to 40k/yr in sales. I guess no.2 comes down to some personal preference but still.
+1, How do you argue with this? Wtf do these doom and gloom people suggest would be a better alternative? With a UG degree there is even small opportunity of making anything over 80k over the long haul, with some exceptions of course. Do the math. No law school + no debt making 40K a year with very minimal annual salary increase and a cap well under 100k. Law school + 100k debt + 3 years not working starting out at (and I'm being pessimistic here) 70k/yr. with more experience more pay and a chance at making well over 100k/yr in 5-8 yrs. Over the long haul the atty will make a lot more.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri May 28, 2010 12:06 pm

I would say this. I'm not crediting TTTGrad's opinion because other posters have rightly pointed out that it's riddled with ignorance. I will say this, though, and independent of this thread and the opinions of JDU trolls: I've had serious doubts in the last month.

I read through posts like this one

http://xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id ... a4e073c6c5

(medianish CLS giving strong consideration to dropping out).

It's not that law isn't a noble field with really compelling reasons to want to practice. The problem is the saturation of the profession in virtually every market, saturation that's only been magnified ITE. If you scroll through XOXO (biases acknowledged), you'll see medianish kids at every T14 considering dropping out.

You guys can hate on this post but I'm just laying out my current position.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WhoIsJohnGalt

New

Post by WhoIsJohnGalt » Fri May 28, 2010 12:07 pm

pjo wrote:
wakefield wrote:
WhoIsJohnGalt wrote:

I'm mostly with you. 40K Law vs 40K sales is a difficult comparison to make as far as quality of life goes. Like you said, that's all personal preference. I'm guessing that 40K law jobs aren't quite as rewarding as others but I don't know that for a fact. I think my bigger issue is that everyone thinks it won't be them. Everyone looks at the unemployed grads and says that they'll finish in the top 15% and land that great job. Statistically, it's just not possible. I wasn't a psych major but I'm sure there have been studies on the tendency to rationalize away expected outcomes. It is a dangerous game to play.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri May 28, 2010 12:08 pm

miamiman wrote:I would say this. I'm not crediting TTTGrad's opinion because other posters have rightly pointed out that it's riddled with ignorance. I will say this, though, and independent of this thread and the opinions of JDU trolls: I've had serious doubts in the last month.

It's not that law isn't a noble field with really compelling reasons to want to practice. The problem is the saturation of the profession in virtually every market, saturation that's only been magnified ITE. If you scroll through XOXO (biases acknowledged), you'll see medianish kids at every T14 considering dropping out.

Median at CLS pulled big law more often than not even in 2011.

pjo

Silver

Post by pjo » Fri May 28, 2010 12:09 pm

WhoIsJohnGalt wrote:People with full rides/substantial scholarships are better off going to law school than making 25k with useless BA/BS degrees. For those of us who aren't engineers, law school is better than the alternative, and the "opportunity cost" is laughable.

Absolutely. There's no question about that - as long as the full/partial ride is there. When you take that away, the picture grows much more dim. I'm just envisioning when the useless BA/BS majors get to their first interview and are asked why they want to practice law, "Because I couldn't hack it with my English major in the real world."

Fact: People who can't hack it in the real world generally can't make it rain. Law firms know
You do realize that this just proves my point that the problem with people having a tough time in a law career is not so much a problem with the profession itself but moreso a problem inherent within the person failing at the profession. I think its laughable with all the negativity on JDU. Its clear to me at least, that the ppl on there that complain would have failed at anything they did, they just happened to pick law and thats that. This is a huge generaliztion but I would say the majority of the people on there have the attitude that when they are initally unsuccessful at something their first reaction is to look at someone or something to blame (law school/economy/the profession) rather than look for alternative ways to succeed. Of course ppl who can't cut it in the real world won't be able to make it rain, but at the same time would they have really been any good at another profession? I'm highly doubtful.

miamiman

Silver

Post by miamiman » Fri May 28, 2010 12:10 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
miamiman wrote:I would say this. I'm not crediting TTTGrad's opinion because other posters have rightly pointed out that it's riddled with ignorance. I will say this, though, and independent of this thread and the opinions of JDU trolls: I've had serious doubts in the last month.

Median at CLS pulled big law more often than not even in 2011.
True but the poster is facing a MOUNTAIN of debt if he/she strikes out and debt that can't be IBR'd away.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2013 Forum”