Texas job market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Apple Tree

Bronze

Texas job market?

Post by Apple Tree » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:08 pm

How is the Texas legal market doing in this economy? Are the UT students having a big trouble getting jobs?

ggocat

Gold

Re: Texas job market?

Post by ggocat » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:47 pm

Texas is doing better than many other states. The state economy is relatively healthy, and state/local governments are still hiring.

I'm not sure about biglaw. I know that have reduced summer hiring and given out less offers than usual, but this is just from what I read on Abovethelaw. I know a couple UT students, and they all had biglaw jobs this past summer. Not sure if they got offers.

Snooker

Bronze

Post by Snooker » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:15 pm

UT seems pretty strong, but I also hear about the pressure coming down on big law. Everyone seems to be talking about interviews. I know a guy at the median who interviewed with V100 firms for 2L summer, and I've heard Georgetown typically requires about median for placement, so that's not too bad. 3Ls don't seem to be doing as well in the market, I've heard there about top 40% is where the line is drawn for them. Before the crash, about top 65% qualified for big law employment.

There's some reverberations of anxiety in the big law market. Lots of this is rumor and hearsay, though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:57 am

I think Texas is doing better than a lot of other places, generally speaking. It's still pretty tough of course. I think I've had a lot worse interview season than I would have expected in a normal year, but I don't think it compares to what people are seeing in NYC. My understanding is that in a normal year I would have quite a few options to choose from, whereas right now I don't have a single one. The big firms here (like Vinson & Elkins, Haynes & Boone, and the like) aren't having as bad of financial problems that many others are having in other markets, though, and I think that has made things a little easier here for Texas students overall.

Also, considering how bad the offer rates are at some of these firms, I think the Texas market has a benefit in that it's typical to split between firms in the summer. That way you have two shots at an offer. I would think these factors would make Texas a more attractive option to students

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”