Paralegal Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Paralegal Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:29 pm

I recently graduated undergrad about 6 months ago. I plan to eventually go to law school. I have been working as a paralegal for about 5 months now, all at the same firm in Pittsburgh. The pay is decent, but I've heard I'd be able to make more.

That said, I plan to begin sending resumes to other firms. However, I am wondering if I should put my current job on my resume? Is this okay to do? Also, it is important to note that the 6 month gap in employment would not be an issue, as I am still taking 2 classes at my old undergrad so I can say I was going to school during that time.

So, my question is, would it be okay for me to not list my current job on my resume, or should I?

Carnertine

Re: Paralegal Question

Postby Carnertine » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I recently graduated undergrad about 6 months ago. I plan to eventually go to law school. I have been working as a paralegal for about 5 months now, all at the same firm in Pittsburgh. The pay is decent, but I've heard I'd be able to make more.

That said, I plan to begin sending resumes to other firms. However, I am wondering if I should put my current job on my resume? Is this okay to do? Also, it is important to note that the 6 month gap in employment would not be an issue, as I am still taking 2 classes at my old undergrad so I can say I was going to school during that time.

So, my question is, would it be okay for me to not list my current job on my resume, or should I?

Responses in the similiar style

How would you have a 6 month gap in employment if you have been employed for the past 5 months.
You flip flop. You are asking to put it on there, then say you dont want to, then say or should I? What reason would have to hide this current job?

JDHopeful

Postby JDHopeful » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:25 pm

The only reason I might hide it is because I haven't been there a year yet. I feel like less than a year doesn't look good.

Opinions?

Leeroy Jenkins

Postby Leeroy Jenkins » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:56 pm

JDHopeful wrote:The only reason I might hide it is because I haven't been there a year yet. I feel like less than a year doesn't look good.

Opinions?

love the logic here. being unemployed looks better?

Carnertine

Postby Carnertine » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:11 am

Lxw wrote:
JDHopeful wrote:The only reason I might hide it is because I haven't been there a year yet. I feel like less than a year doesn't look good.

Opinions?

love the logic here. being unemployed looks better?

You can post on here but not chat with me. You are truly hurting me today.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:23 am

Carnertine wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I recently graduated undergrad about 6 months ago. I plan to eventually go to law school. I have been working as a paralegal for about 5 months now, all at the same firm in Pittsburgh. The pay is decent, but I've heard I'd be able to make more.

Responses in the similiar style

How would you have a 6 month gap in employment if you have been employed for the past 5 months.
You flip flop. You are asking to put it on there, then say you dont want to, then say or should I? What reason would have to hide this current job?

You misunderstand. He's asking whether he should place his current job on his resume, presumably because he's worried about the other employers contacting his current employer. The reason he brings up the '6 month gap' is not that there has actually a 6 month gap or that he's somehow indecisive, but rather that the resume sans work experience would show a 6 month gap - that is, if he weren't taking the 2 courses. He brings it up in anticipation of a comment that his omission of the work experience would otherwise show a gap. His taking classes obviates that comment.

To OP: I'd put the work experience in because its relevant and might help you find another job. It certainly wouldn't hurt you. If you're worried about them contacting your employer, state explicitly in your cover letter that you prefer they not contact them. Most employers are sensitive to that concern. I can't think of a reason not to include the experience.

Return to “Legal Employment”