Recovering from a Punch to the Gut Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Recovering from a Punch to the Gut

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:16 pm

After letting myself believe I had earned a callback at my top choice firm, I just learned that it probably won't happen. I feel miserable. I have important interviews tomorrow that I have to be ready for, but right now I feel like I just want to disappear. What should I do?

GATORTIM

Silver

Re: Recovering from a Punch to the Gut

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:24 pm

--ImageRemoved--

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm sorry, that sucks, but try to buck up. Aside from a small percentage of students, most of c/o 2011 is not going to be getting what they expected coming in. Try to remain positive, as it's still early in the process. Believe me, I know it's hard not to be discouraged, but firms simply can't take everyone they'd like to at this point. It's likely more the economy than it is you. Good luck with your interviews! The lack of that callback might even be a blessing in disguise....you never know.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:38 pm

Thanks steve_nash. I shouldn't have let myself believe in it. I have to avoid feeling envious of my classmates and somehow get through tomorrow, but it will be tough. I haven't felt this low since my good friend passed away.

Gooner

New

Post by Gooner » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Chin up. You may have lost the battle, but don't let yourself lose the war (the war for employment, that is, because that's exactly what we 2Ls are going through right now).

Keep researching firms for your remaining interviews, keep prepping your answers, and give your resume one last look to make sure you're ready to talk about anything. Figure out what you think you did right in your previous interviews and do that again. Figure out what you did wrong and avoid doing it in the future.

Also, love him or hate him, you should really consider watching Tim Tebow's speech after the Ole Miss game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96vAbtpakLg. This is the sort of resolve that's needed ITE.

Best of luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote: you should really consider watching Tim Tebow's speech after the Ole Miss game
Best of luck.
+1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:34 pm

At least my immense disappointment is slowly turning into anger.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:48 pm

This whole process feels like speed dating, except no one likes you and just wants the same skinny blonde chick.

toolshed

Bronze

Post by toolshed » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Chin up. You may have lost the battle, but don't let yourself lose the war (the war for employment, that is, because that's exactly what we 2Ls are going through right now).

Keep researching firms for your remaining interviews, keep prepping your answers, and give your resume one last look to make sure you're ready to talk about anything. Figure out what you think you did right in your previous interviews and do that again. Figure out what you did wrong and avoid doing it in the future.

Also, love him or hate him, you should really consider watching Tim Tebow's speech after the Ole Miss game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96vAbtpakLg. This is the sort of resolve that's needed ITE.

Best of luck.
Yuck. Tebow is a drama queen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gators08

New

Post by Gators08 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yuck. Tebow is a drama queen.
Fact: Tim Tebow got a callback at Wachtell. Before he even had a screening interview. And he isn't in law school.

steve_nash

Bronze

Post by steve_nash » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:58 pm

Last edited by steve_nash on Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Corsair

Gold

Post by Corsair » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:32 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:05 pm

I quick knock-out punch would be welcomed. I'm currently just getting pummeled with left jabs. 0-10-1, 48 hours on (Median MVPB).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

GATORTIM

Silver

Post by GATORTIM » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:55 pm

steve_nash wrote:um, why are these tebow comments anonymous? i can't stand him or UF.
I can assure you the feeling is mutual, love the 'tar of you on "suit day"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:48 pm

Thankfully, I feel mostly recovered. I may have messed up today's interviews though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:14 pm

I just got a surprise rejection from a firm where I have a well-placed relative, and my interviewer even made it super-easy for me to mention it ("why did you go to law school? any family members in law?" "yes, actually...at your firm"). It was also a target firm given my class rank at a T14. I like the firm based on what I've heard from my relative and from my research. I'm frustrated. :S

Current status: 2-20-6, though several of those 20 have started giving callbacks. My personality sucks.

Also, lol@
steve_nash wrote:This whole process feels like speed dating, except no one likes you and just wants the same skinny blonde chick.

DavidYurman85

Bronze

Post by DavidYurman85 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm not in LS but one of my roommates is a BL associate and she was on the phone with a mutual friend of ours that had 15 interviews, 3 call backs (i know one is a V5-V10), and 2 dings. Hope that helps you guys, and good luck. The friend attends CCN.

edit: totally meant to post this in the call back thread

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Gooner wrote:Chin up. You may have lost the battle, but don't let yourself lose the war (the war for employment, that is, because that's exactly what we 2Ls are going through right now).

Best of luck.

this whole post is the dumbest thing of all

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”