OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Re: Lets talk OCI suits (particularly shirts)

Post by seriouslyinformative » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:07 am

There are plenty of retailers that have high-end labels and have good sales. There is 40% at Bergdorf Goodmans and Saks Fifth Avenue right now. I just picked up a full canvass navy suit for around 650$ from there. High end designer. Steal.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Re: Suits (Clothing, not law)

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:11 am

I use some bastardized version of the full-windsor that ends up being smaller than an actual windsor, but that I keep doing because its easy and I like the symmetry and dimple that it enables.

I have to think I'm not the only one to tie it this way, but I have never found it anywhere else.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 am

Brioni ties = win.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:20 am

Gatriel wrote:Brioni ties = win.
Tie i've got the most compliments on was a $7.00 Nautica (Compliments came from several interviewers. Got an offer two days later). Red with white and blue pin-dots.

Though, I suppose the fact that I got compliments defeats the whole conservative/"blend in" philosophy.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:49 am

I'm sure this has been discussed, but what are people's thoughts on BB's outlet suits? Are they inferior quality?

Going up to Chicago this weekend and the gf and I were thinking about hitting up a BB outlet store.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:16 pm

grash wrote:Just to confirm what Aston said, can I go with the skinny tie? I'm a fairly small guy, 5'8 170ish, athletic build, and I feel like skinny ties make more sense for someone my size.
Are you high? No offense but 5'8/170 is not small, and not nearly skinny enough to warrant a skinny tie. To wear a skinny tie effectively you should be skinny. I'm talking like 5'8/under 140. Actually the more appropriate measure than weight is waist. It's very likely that you should be wearing a standard tie.

I think skinny ties ARE good for interviewing. That said, don't go with ultra skinny. By "skinny" I'm talking 3". If you have a skinny frame and a well fitting suit, a standard 3.5" tie will look obnoxiously big.

A good person to look at is Barney in How I Met Your Mother. He is skinny, wears well-fitting suits and skinnier ties. If he wore a big fat tie with those suits he'd look stupid. It's really common sense: if you look in the mirror you should know if you look ridiculous or not.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
grash wrote:Just to confirm what Aston said, can I go with the skinny tie? I'm a fairly small guy, 5'8 170ish, athletic build, and I feel like skinny ties make more sense for someone my size.
Are you high? No offense but 5'8/170 is not small, and not nearly skinny enough to warrant a skinny tie. To wear a skinny tie effectively you should be skinny. I'm talking like 5'8/under 140. Actually the more appropriate measure than weight is waist. It's very likely that you should be wearing a standard tie.

I think skinny ties ARE good for interviewing. That said, don't go with ultra skinny. By "skinny" I'm talking 3". If you have a skinny frame and a well fitting suit, a standard 3.5" tie will look obnoxiously big.

A good person to look at is Barney in How I Met Your Mother. He is skinny, wears well-fitting suits and skinnier ties. If he wore a big fat tie with those suits he'd look stupid. It's really common sense: if you look in the mirror you should know if you look ridiculous or not.
According to the BMI scale, he's even overweight! Though that scale is pretty much worthless for athletic types, you still aren't skinny bro.

And I guess if you have a small enough waist that full ties look silly, then skinny ties are alright.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Skinny ties are totally fine if you are skinny. I can tell you right now that I would look horrible with a wide tie.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:43 pm

I only go half windsor for business reasons. Full is only meant for collars that allow for it (are wide enough) and more formal settings.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Pufer - Where do you stand on three piece suits? I really like the look of a vest and it is pretty conservative in terms of age.

grash

New

Post by grash » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:47 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:

33 inch waist at the moment. On a diet, and fully expect to go down to 165ish with a 31-32 inch waist. I may not be rail thin, but I'm skinnier by far than the average dude, and a 3.5 inch tie feels odd to me.
Last edited by grash on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:50 pm

seriouslyinformative wrote:Skinny ties are totally fine if you are skinny. I can tell you right now that I would look horrible with a wide tie.
Horrible may be strong. After all, the difference I'm talking is 1/2 of an inch. More often than not, ESPECIALLY for men in their 20s, they are just wearing an illfitting suit. Salesmen often actually size people too big because it's more comfortable to those men who aren't used to proper fitting suits. While you dont want to wear a "corset" as someone mentioned earlier, you dont want to wear a blanket either. There should be virtually no slack (/ waves) between the shoulder blades in the back, for example.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 pm

geoduck wrote:Pufer - Where do you stand on three piece suits? I really like the look of a vest and it is pretty conservative in terms of age.
Absolutely not for an interview.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:
geoduck wrote:Pufer - Where do you stand on three piece suits? I really like the look of a vest and it is pretty conservative in terms of age.
I'd agree. Ask yourself why? Just because you think you look snazzy? Don't go for snazzy. You never see a businessman in a 3 piece suit. It assuredly comes across as weird or just too much in an interview.

seriouslyinformative

Bronze

Post by seriouslyinformative » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:15 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
seriouslyinformative wrote:Skinny ties are totally fine if you are skinny. I can tell you right now that I would look horrible with a wide tie.
Horrible may be strong. After all, the difference I'm talking is 1/2 of an inch. More often than not, ESPECIALLY for men in their 20s, they are just wearing an illfitting suit. Salesmen often actually size people too big because it's more comfortable to those men who aren't used to proper fitting suits. While you dont want to wear a "corset" as someone mentioned earlier, you dont want to wear a blanket either. There should be virtually no slack (/ waves) between the shoulder blades in the back, for example.

I feel like thicker ties also tend to use thicker silks, which gives an even thicker look.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:21 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
I'd agree. Ask yourself why? Just because you think you look snazzy? Don't go for snazzy. You never see a businessman in a 3 piece suit. It assuredly comes across as weird or just too much in an interview.
I actually do see businessmen in 3 piece suits around here in Seattle. I'll be doing OCI in Minneapolis, so I don't know yet how much 3 piece suits are worn around there. I like vests because they look cleaner and more classic, not snazzy. It also makes most shirt tuck-in issues irrelevant.

But if the consensus is that it's too much... Though I would still be interesting in hearing what he of the long post has to say on it.

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:27 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rocketman11

Silver

Post by Rocketman11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:28 pm

^ Pocket square? No.
geoduck wrote: It also makes most shirt tuck-in issues irrelevant.
Explain what this means? What issues do you have tucking in your shirt?

I understand there are regional considerations. I don't think in 3 years I remember seeing 1 3-piece suit out here on the east coast, but I realize Seattle is a different beast.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm

I hope you posted that picture as an example of what not to wear to OCI

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I hope you posted that picture as an example of what not to wear to OCI
haha I just google imaged it and posted it. i do like the look tho. its a shame that the legal field dresses like its 1925. i rather have a team of lawyers dressed modern and stylish than a team dressed like they are about to go to a funeral circa 1929.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:I hope you posted that picture as an example of what not to wear to OCI
haha I just google imaged it and posted it. i do like the look tho. its a shame that the legal field dresses like its 1925. i rather have a team of lawyers dressed modern and stylish than a team dressed like they are about to go to a funeral circa 1929.
Definitely an appropriate use of the anon feature.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

psm11

Bronze

Post by psm11 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Definitely an appropriate use of the anon feature.
haha thank you. you have to agree the typical black, grey, brown, or navy suit with a white or blue shirt is really boring.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:11 pm

Rocketman11 wrote:^ Pocket square? No.
geoduck wrote: It also makes most shirt tuck-in issues irrelevant.
Explain what this means? What issues do you have tucking in your shirt?

I understand there are regional considerations. I don't think in 3 years I remember seeing 1 3-piece suit out here on the east coast, but I realize Seattle is a different beast.
Yeah my perspective is probably going to be a bit different thanks to the pacific northwest. I'll have to keep my eye on the trends in Minneapolis.

Tuck in issues such as shirt blooming. It's just so messy. The vest keeps lines so much cleaner when you take off your jacket. Though I'm reading here that my jacket should just about stay glued during the interview, so maybe that doesn't matter so much.

Rooney

Silver

Post by Rooney » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:25 pm

Slim ties, yes. Skinny ties, no.

Aston2412

Bronze

Post by Aston2412 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:27 pm

Ok, ftr, 5'8'' 170 and a 33 waist is definitely not someone who is "big for his size." I know a lot of people who are 5'8'', 5'9'' and around 170-180 and they are in amazing shape. The thing is, when someone says they are 170 you don't know how much of that is muscle or fat and moreover 170 still isn't fat for 5'8'' even if it's mostly fat. That's normal (and I don't mean America is obese so it's overweight but still normal - I mean, that's a guy who's in pretty good shape).

So I hope I've aided in your self-esteem. And yes, for the record you can pull off a skinny tie without it looking cartoonish. Whether or not you want to wear it to OCI is still up to you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”