OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bronte

Gold

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by Bronte » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:15 pm

Pulled the trigger on the Park Avenues. It's now or never. Not that anybody else should get them.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:12 am

Any comments on these brown shoes. http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... =stricklin

I bought a pair of J&M black melton cap toes already, but I just bought these too because they were on sale for $60 at dillards.com. I don't love them, but I couldn't pass up the price.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:19 am

Mike12188 wrote:Any comments on these brown shoes. http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... =stricklin

I bought a pair of J&M black melton cap toes already, but I just bought these too because they were on sale for $60 at dillards.com. I don't love them, but I couldn't pass up the price.
You got a good deal on them. They're square-toe and rubber-sole, so that's two marks against them in my book. I would trade them for these http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... &pid=67387 if that's an option.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:05 am

Are we using this thread to replace the "Suits: Clothing not Law" thread?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 am

HenryKillinger wrote:Are we using this thread to replace the "Suits: Clothing not Law" thread?
They were merged, yeah.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:54 am

Mike12188 wrote:Any comments on these brown shoes. http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... =stricklin
Not that nice, especially when you can get some sweet Allen Edmonds for $200 at Nordstrom right now.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 pm

Bronte wrote:

You got a good deal on them. They're square-toe and rubber-sole, so that's two marks against them in my book. I would trade them for these http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.a ... &pid=67387 if that's an option.
Yea rubber sole sucks. I actually like a square toe more but I know its not as traditional as a round cap toe which is why I got the black meltons which I will most definitely wear more.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:05 pm

They're decent looking shoes, and definitely alright for a casual look in the evenings (think: out at a nice bar or club), or maybe a business casual office setting. I would just never ever wear rubber soles when I'm trying to look professional, so I wouldn't wear them with a suit.

I guess it just depends what you got them for. If you work in a business casual setting, go for it (I even wear rubber soles once in a while because my office is so laid back in terms of dress, and I hate rubber soles). But man, few things make me cringe more than seeing a guy in a nice suit or slacks/button down, and he has to ruin it with ugly rubber soled shoes.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:55 pm

This thread doesn't get bumped in the lounge when there is a new post.

Merge-fail

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:58 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:This thread doesn't get bumped in the lounge when there is a new post.

Merge-fail
The thread in the lounge is a "shadow" thread. It's just how the system works if a thread is moved.

HenryKillinger

Bronze

Post by HenryKillinger » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
HenryKillinger wrote:This thread doesn't get bumped in the lounge when there is a new post.

Merge-fail
The thread in the lounge is a "shadow" thread. It's just how the system works if a thread is moved.
I still call it a merge-fail since now I have to check two forums to see if the mega-threads I'm interested in have new posts.

I'm a lazy, lazy man, Helm.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:23 pm

HenryKillinger wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Merge-fail
I still call it a merge-fail since now I have to check two forums to see if the mega-threads I'm interested in have new posts.

I'm a lazy, lazy man, Helm.
I don't even browse forums (fora?) anymore. It's all "View your posts" and sometimes "View new posts" for me.

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:35 pm

I appreciate the help in this thread. Thanks guys.

(although I don't appreciate merging it into one giant cluster... I enjoyed Puffer's post and now I can't find it)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:38 pm

romothesavior wrote:

They're decent looking shoes, and definitely alright for a casual look in the evenings (think: out at a nice bar or club), or maybe a business casual office setting. I would just never ever wear rubber soles when I'm trying to look professional, so I wouldn't wear them with a suit.

I guess it just depends what you got them for. If you work in a business casual setting, go for it (I even wear rubber soles once in a while because my office is so laid back in terms of dress, and I hate rubber soles). But man, few things make me cringe more than seeing a guy in a nice suit or slacks/button down, and he has to ruin it with ugly rubber soled shoes.
Def not with a suit. I was thinking they'd be nice with khakis/business casual.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:39 pm

I'm going to have some shirts tailored today. Any particular instructions/guidance I should give to the tailor?

Or do I just say "do the usual"?

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:44 pm

the shirts should just be a hairs' width baggier than those under-armor spandex shirts. the slim look is in now

Dr. Review

Gold

Post by Dr. Review » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:18 pm

I have a phone interview on Monday. What should I wear?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:25 pm

Bedsole wrote:I have a phone interview on Monday. What should I wear?
Birthday suit and tie.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:43 pm

existenz wrote:I'm going to have some shirts tailored today. Any particular instructions/guidance I should give to the tailor?

It really depends on how the suit currently fits you. There's a lot of stuff you generally want though. Some common pitfalls are: (1) Sleeves not showing. Your shirt sleeves should show about a half inch when your arms are at your side. (2) Rumbles across shoulder blades. You'll see three or for horizontal rumbles just below the back of dudes' necks on their jackets. I don't know how they fix it, but they can. (3) Jacket too loose, especially at stomach level and in back. (4) Waste of pants too loose. (5) Too much or too little break in the pants.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:55 pm

Bronte wrote:
existenz wrote:I'm going to have some shirts tailored today. Any particular instructions/guidance I should give to the tailor?

It really depends on how the suit currently fits you. There's a lot of stuff you generally want though. Some common pitfalls are: (1) Sleeves not showing. Your shirt sleeves should show about a half inch when your arms are at your side. (2) Rumbles across shoulder blades. You'll see three or for horizontal rumbles just below the back of dudes' necks on their jackets. I don't know how they fix it, but they can. (3) Jacket too loose, especially at stomach level and in back. (4) Waste of pants too loose. (5) Too much or too little break in the pants.
Cool, thanks.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:35 pm

D-hops wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Anyone know if Norstrom's still has that AE Park Ave sale that was mentioned a few days ago?
Goes till August 1 I believe. When I was there, I got the last pair of shoes in my size.
Just purchased mine today, but they didn't have any in 10.5. This is the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever bought, and right now I'm feeling a little feminine.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:38 pm

shepdawg wrote:
D-hops wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Anyone know if Norstrom's still has that AE Park Ave sale that was mentioned a few days ago?
Goes till August 1 I believe. When I was there, I got the last pair of shoes in my size.
Just purchased mine today, but they didn't have any in 10.5. This is the most expensive pair of shoes I have ever bought, and right now I'm feeling a little feminine.
I got 10.5s online. Allen Edmonds are middle-upper range shoes, and $200 is on the low range for men's shoes. See, e.g., http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-mens-c ... dovan.html. I would feel like you got a bargain (and get used to it).

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:50 pm

I found an Alfani suit for $90 in my size. Would it be suitable for OCI in So Cal? If not, would it be acceptable during 2L SA in So Cal?

Snapped a pic with my phone, but flash came on. It looked much darker in the store.
--ImageRemoved--

With flash again
--ImageRemoved--

Without flash, looks darker
--ImageRemoved--

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:54 pm

shepdawg wrote:I found an Alfani suit for $90 in my size. Would it be suitable for OCI in So Cal? If not, would it be acceptable during 2L SA in So Cal?

Snapped a pic with my phone, but flash came on. It looked much darker in the store.
--ImageRemoved--

With flash again
--ImageRemoved--

Without flash, looks darker
--ImageRemoved--
Put DOWN the suit! Walk away slowly. Navy blue solid, charcoal grey soild. End of story.

Besides Alfani is SPS, they only last about a year.
Last edited by Veyron on Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Alfani stuff is almost always at a deep discount and is generally pretty low quality (although I love their undershirts). That suit is definitely not ideal for OCI because you want a solid suit. In general, there's somewhat of a rule against suits that are both textured and patterned. That suit is textured and has two patterns. I would skip it.

Edit: for clarity.
Last edited by Bronte on Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”