OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rickgrimes69

Silver

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:32 pm

skers wrote:Keep your suit buttoned when standing and unbuttoned sitting. Not that hard.
This.
chrisbru wrote:Do not buy Express shirts unless (I guess) you are going to wear them to the bar/club on weekends. They do not look good as dress shirts for suits or business casual.
Also this. Express's quality in general has gone way downhill. Cheap looking synthetic fabrics.

skers

Platinum

Post by skers » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:16 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:I want to buy a second white button shirt for interviews but one that isn't too expensive. Anyone have any good suggestions.
Nordstrom trim fit.

sinfiery

Gold

Post by sinfiery » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Nordstrom rack, 29.99, 14th st, union square, ask about a guy named vinny, he's great

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ymmv wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:I want to buy a second white button shirt for interviews but one that isn't too expensive. Anyone have any good suggestions.
Express fitted shirts are working pretty well for me without any tailoring, and they're relatively affordable even without one of the ubiquitous coupons.
No. Do not buy Express shirts unless (I guess) you are going to wear them to the bar/club on weekends. They do not look good as dress shirts for suits or business casual.

LRGhost wrote: Nobody is going to give a shit but because life isn't worth living if you don't nitpick... if your suit was well-tailored, it looks better buttoned when standing.
This.
When's the last time you bought an express shirt? The mens Fitted line is the best I've found in its price range, and nothing about it says "clubby" to me. Plus it's the only thing I can find that even remotely works for a tall lifter's build without really extensive tailoring. Good lengths and proportions all around.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:48 pm

sinfiery wrote:Nordstrom rack, 29.99, 14th st, union square, ask about a guy named vinny, he's great
good tip man, I'll be on the lookout

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:27 pm

ymmv wrote: When's the last time you bought an express shirt? The mens Fitted line is the best I've found in its price range, and nothing about it says "clubby" to me. Plus it's the only thing I can find that even remotely works for a tall lifter's build without really extensive tailoring. Good lengths and proportions all around.
A few months ago? Like I said, they are fine for the bar/club on the weekends, so that's what I buy them for when they are on sale. I like the fit and the slight shine they have to them... for going out. They are definitely not a good look for the office - because you look like a fresh-faced asshole who doesn't know how to dress professionally for the office.

Get a real dress shirt, get it tailored if you have to. Have you tried Brooks Brothers Extra Slim? Or, I guess, have you gone to a store and gotten measured for what size shirt you should get? If a "only comes in XS-XXL + fitted, slim, or extra slim fit" from Express fits you perfectly, you can definitely find the right size in a more adult dress shirt line.

For reference, I wear an XL extra slim at Express, and a 17/35 extra slim at Brooks Brothers. 6 foot, 215, athletic + beer gut build lol.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:38 pm

chrisbru wrote:
ymmv wrote: When's the last time you bought an express shirt? The mens Fitted line is the best I've found in its price range, and nothing about it says "clubby" to me. Plus it's the only thing I can find that even remotely works for a tall lifter's build without really extensive tailoring. Good lengths and proportions all around.
A few months ago? Like I said, they are fine for the bar/club on the weekends, so that's what I buy them for when they are on sale. I like the fit and the slight shine they have to them... for going out. They are definitely not a good look for the office - because you look like a fresh-faced asshole who doesn't know how to dress professionally for the office.

Get a real dress shirt, get it tailored if you have to. Have you tried Brooks Brothers Extra Slim? Or, I guess, have you gone to a store and gotten measured for what size shirt you should get? If a "only comes in XS-XXL + fitted, slim, or extra slim fit" from Express fits you perfectly, you can definitely find the right size in a more adult dress shirt line.

For reference, I wear an XL extra slim at Express, and a 17/35 extra slim at Brooks Brothers. 6 foot, 215, athletic + beer gut build lol.
There's nothing wrong with shirts marked in XS-XXL and you don't need to spend money on BB to get a good shirt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:

Which part of "best in its price range" was unclear? BB is great but if you just need three or four basic dress shirts it's significantly more expensive.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:24 pm

http://www.bachrach.com/ties-neckwear-b ... ed-ns.html

This tie with a charcoal suit? Already have the tie, just wondering if it's conservative enough for OCI.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:33 pm

At a t14 OCI, it was crazy the clothing mishaps I've seen so far. Everything from slip on dress shoes, obnoxious pinstripe suits and non-conservative color dress shirts (purple, pink, even a black shirt/red tie combo). Also, a TON of skinny ties. I think part of OCP's job should be informing students how to dress for OCI/interviews in general.

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:35 pm

WahooLaw24 wrote:http://www.bachrach.com/ties-neckwear-b ... ed-ns.html

This tie with a charcoal suit? Already have the tie, just wondering if it's conservative enough for OCI.
Seems fine to me unless it's a lot shinier than the picture makes it seem.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a t14 OCI, it was crazy the clothing mishaps I've seen so far. Everything from slip on dress shoes, obnoxious pinstripe suits and non-conservative color dress shirts (purple, pink, even a black shirt/red tie combo). Also, a TON of skinny ties. I think part of OCP's job should be informing students how to dress for OCI/interviews in general.
they'll probably get complaints about the black shirt red tie shit, we had the same thing and ocs ended up sending an email about it

First Offense

Platinum

Post by First Offense » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a t14 OCI, it was crazy the clothing mishaps I've seen so far. Everything from slip on dress shoes, obnoxious pinstripe suits and non-conservative color dress shirts (purple, pink, even a black shirt/red tie combo). Also, a TON of skinny ties. I think part of OCP's job should be informing students how to dress for OCI/interviews in general.
UVA sends out a clothing guide + has one accessible on the career services website, which pretty much reiterates common TLS wisdom (complete with the "No Black Suits" thing).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:37 pm

First Offense wrote:
UVA sends out a clothing guide + has one accessible on the career services website, which pretty much reiterates common TLS wisdom (complete with the "No Black Suits" thing).
Remember going to the session they held but would like a refresher. Do you have a link? I don't see it on there.

Thanks!

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Bonbos has good dress shirts, especially in the slim fit and tailored range but they are 80-120. Well worth it in my opinion. Also if your alumni association has a bb discount card. I think it's 15% off which is also the same amount as your student discount. Just ask and show them you law school id.

I prefer to spend the extra month for a good quality shirt than risk the lower end falling apart after a few dry cleans. I've gone with bonobos or bb for the past 3+ years since UG without issue.

sprezz

Bronze

Post by sprezz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:43 pm

First Offense wrote:UVA sends out a clothing guide + has one accessible on the career services website, which pretty much reiterates common TLS wisdom (complete with the "No Black Suits" thing).
if it's the same one as when i went through it and the second slide warned against "looking sexy", that thing is golden

WL24: it used to be an appendix in the OGI handbook

shouldershoulders

New

Post by shouldershoulders » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:48 pm

What tie width is considered "skinny" for interviewing? I have a few ties from J. Crew, and their ties are all 2.5" at the widest point. Would this be too thin for OCI?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm

shouldershoulders wrote:What tie width is considered "skinny" for interviewing? I have a few ties from J. Crew, and their ties are all 2.5" at the widest point. Would this be too thin for OCI?
jcrew tends to be on the skinny side. do you not have any not-trendy business environment ties?

Cellar-door

Bronze

Post by Cellar-door » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:22 pm

shouldershoulders wrote:What tie width is considered "skinny" for interviewing? I have a few ties from J. Crew, and their ties are all 2.5" at the widest point. Would this be too thin for OCI?
That's not super skinny, but still skinny. Unless you are tiny. Usually you should be looking for 3" or a little more.

To some extent it should match up with your lapel width. So 2.75" lapels(widest point) 3" tie is fine, 3.5" lapels, 3.5" tie. If your lapels are less than 2.75" you probably bought some weird super slim narrow lapel monstrosity of a suit and you should feel shame for thinking about going to OCI wearing that.

ymmv

Diamond

Post by ymmv » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:01 pm

I've seen waaaay more monstrous power ties at OCI than I have skinny ties. Personally I find the latter less egregious.

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:03 pm

ymmv wrote:I've seen waaaay more monstrous power ties at OCI than I have skinny ties. Personally I find the latter less egregious.
what's a monstrous power tie? like 4+ inches?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:08 pm

ymmv wrote:I've seen waaaay more monstrous power ties at OCI than I have skinny ties. Personally I find the latter less egregious.
I think everyone looks pretty sharp at our OCI. Worst thing I thought was some people in complete old man suits, but generally the over weight bros

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:09 pm

2 Questions if any one feels like answering them for me:

1.) What is wrong with Black or Charcoal-colored suits?

2.) What is wrong with "skinny" ties?
2a.) What qualifies as a Skinny tie?

Thanks

mephistopheles

Gold

Post by mephistopheles » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2 Questions if any one feels like answering them for me:

Thanks

great anon, this is super secret info that you should not let others know you have

but 1a) nothing is wrong with charcoal suits; 1b) black suits are for funerals, night life, or waiters; 2a) nothing is wrong with skinny ties in general, they're just not formal enough for the traditional interviewing process (and this goes with the notion that you shouldn't be wearing skinny lapels on your business suits because they're not formal, and the tie width should generally match the lapel width); and 2b) skinny ties tend to be anything 3" and under (or maybe under 3") in width

i changed your bad numbering system

MyNameIsFlynn!

Silver

Post by MyNameIsFlynn! » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:11 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:2 Questions if any one feels like answering them for me:

Thanks

great anon, this is super secret info that you should not let others know you have

but 1a) nothing is wrong with charcoal suits; 1b) black suits are for funerals, night life, or waiters; 2a) nothing is wrong with skinny ties in general, they're just not formal enough for the traditional interviewing process (and this goes with the notion that you shouldn't be wearing skinny lapels on your business suits because they're not formal, and the tie width should generally match the lapel width); and 2b) skinny ties tend to be anything 3" and under (or maybe under 3") in width

i changed your bad numbering system
3" is normal and perfectly fine im0. it's the 2.5 stuff that is skinny. 2.75 is questionable

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”