OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jrmartin

New

Re: OCI/callbacks/etc Men's Clothing Mega-thread

Post by jrmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Check out suitsupply.com

Much better option than Joseph A. Bank

Also, some nice Drake's ties on sale now at mrporter.com

this was me, don't know why it was posted anonymously.

Not coming from a suit and tie world myself, I've found the putthison and styleforum to be quite helpful at figuring out basics. Styleforum even has a new primer on basics that is seriously worth the read.

Navy suit, white shirt, brown shoes (allen edmonds park avenue are a good start)/belt, burgundy/navy solid or lightly polkadotted tie and you should be good to go looking heaps better than your classmates wearing striped suits and square toed shoes.

Oh yeah, no square toed shoes!

Edit:

Stick to a 100% wool suit. And please don't get it from Jo A Bank unless by some fluke it actually fits.

A Fitzgerald 1818 from Brooks Brothers is decent on sale, but seriously, for the money I love my new suitsupply Napoli. Half canvassed and much higher quality/better cut than the Hugo Boss I have.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:56 am

Good advice but Brooks Brothers doesn't make a charcoal suit in their 1818 line, do they?

Closest I found is their grey (not charcoal) one, but is it dark enough for OCI?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... size=#null

jrmartin

New

Post by jrmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 pm

drbarry987 wrote:Good advice but Brooks Brothers doesn't make a charcoal suit in their 1818 line, do they?

Closest I found is their grey (not charcoal) one, but is it dark enough for OCI?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... size=#null
That grey is plenty dark. Whatever you do, don't get black.

And seriously, I know I'm harping on suitsupply, but it's only because I'm so excited to have found half-canvassed, well-fitting, decent quality suit for less than $500.

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:27 pm

im sure this has been answered a million times, but I bought a BB outlet Fitzgerald. Where should I tailor it and how much should I expect to pay?

also, whats the difference in quality like between the 1818 and the outlet suits?

ETA: and does anyone know when BB has their next big sale?

jrmartin

New

Post by jrmartin » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:32 pm

Blumpbeef wrote:im sure this has been answered a million times, but I bought a BB outlet Fitzgerald. Where should I tailor it and how much should I expect to pay?

also, whats the difference in quality like between the 1818 and the outlet suits?

ETA: and does anyone know when BB has their next big sale?

Call your local Nordstrom or other nice department store and ask for a tailor recommendation. This is a good way to find a cobbler also.

For BB sales, see here

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jarak01

New

Post by jarak01 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:23 am

I just want to thank Pufer (and all other contributors) for this thread-- it's been very helpful.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:26 pm

FYI brooks brothers has 30% off shoes today, including a few rebranded Allen Edmonds models (Strand, Park Avenue, Fifth Avenue). They differ from Ae sold ones in having rubber protective covers for the sole and cushioned insoles.

VulcanVulcanVulcan

Bronze

Post by VulcanVulcanVulcan » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:35 pm

I didn't see really anything substantive about this earlier--is anyone going to use the J. Crew Ludlow suit for OCI? It's overpriced as it is currently is, but I was going to wait until they had a 30% off sale.

drbarry987

Bronze

Post by drbarry987 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:29 am

wow, the AE Park Aves are NOT on Sale during the Nordstrom's Semi Annual.. Devastated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:56 am

drbarry987 wrote:wow, the AE Park Aves are NOT on Sale during the Nordstrom's Semi Annual.. Devastated.
Wrong sale, I believe.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:01 am

mrloblaw wrote:
drbarry987 wrote:wow, the AE Park Aves are NOT on Sale during the Nordstrom's Semi Annual.. Devastated.
Wrong sale, I believe.
Edit: I am dumb.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Nordstrom semi annual is in July, brah.

WODKilla123

New

Post by WODKilla123 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:10 pm

do the AE PA's usually go on sale then brah?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Not true, brah. Semi annual started today. Anniversary sale is in July.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Men's sale only is this weekend. Google Nordstrom semi annual and lemme know... brah.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:25 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Tangerine Gleam wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
Men's sale only is this weekend. Google Nordstrom semi annual and lemme know... brah.
ok brah: http://shop.nordstrom.com/c/frequently- ... salesevent

ETA: not sure why we're all being dicks to each other over the exact names of different Nordstrom sales.

Kring345

Bronze

Post by Kring345 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:06 am

What's the optimal season/month to look for suits? I dont want to spend the money now, but will it be smarter? Or are there lots of sales in the winter/spring?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FeelTheHeat

Platinum

Post by FeelTheHeat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:08 am

Kring345 wrote:What's the optimal season/month to look for suits? I dont want to spend the money now, but will it be smarter? Or are there lots of sales in the winter/spring?
Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers are having their big sales soon. Jos A Bank Signature suits are good buy when they fall under $260, just check the site on occasion.

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm going to pick up a couple of new BB suits at the semi-annual sale this week. I went in to check out what my local BB has in stock, and I was surprised that I strongly prefer the Milano fit to the Fitzgerald (more natural shoulders, double vents, slimmer and shorter jacket). My gut tells me that the Milano is a bit fashion-forward for OCI and firm wear, but it also tells me that virtually no one I interview with is going to have the sartorial sense to notice.

Any thoughts?

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:11 pm

So what kind of deal do you get from the BB sale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:19 pm

So how terrible would it be to not show up in fancy designed suits, but in Sears type suits. Will interviewers notice/care?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So how terrible would it be to not show up in fancy designed suits, but in Sears type suits. Will interviewers notice/care?
It would be fine. Just make sure it fits and isn't obnoxious (like pinstriped, a weird color, or paired with awful shirts/ties).

That said, I think you can do a little better than Sears. Do they even sell suits?

SemperLegal

Silver

Post by SemperLegal » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Random Rant from earlier, thought it might help.

Easiest way to get a very diverse wardrobe is to go to Brooks Brothers and get sized and talk fashion. Then buy a few dress shirts/ties since that are almost universally appreciated, not a bad price, and you wasted the salesmen time (I assume they are on commission, if it is like where I did retail, small items like ties and shirts have a higher %, so it compensates for you not being economically or self-aware enough for a BB suit, yet).

Use your new knowledge (and, if possible, a fashion-conscious friend, hopefully of the bangable variety) to go to a lower-cost clothier (JAB, MW, Haggars) and be selective, but bold. Every large suit store and company has some good finds. Keep in mind that worst case, you are out a hundred dollars, but can normally at least salvage some decent slacks.

Then take aforementioned shirts and new suits to a tailor. Buy some collar stays and an iron.

Try to wear the suits when they are not needed, just to see if you like how they look throughout the day, as well as to see if you get any comments or stares (No matter how attractive you are, stares are always bad, though second glances are good). Get comfortable wearing suits.

Some suits won't pan out, save it for weddings of family members you don't care about.

You will also find that your collection is lacking in a few key components (e.g. you only really have one tie that goes with the shirt you really like, or that you need a brown belt) Use the internet, outlets, or sales to fill those gaps. You can get away with a Sears tie, or a Walmart belt if its an deliberate part of an otherwise better-designed outlet.

Then as you get a better idea of what you like, what fashion terms mean, sizes, and a good tailor you can pursue two tracks:

1. Buy last year's suits at a startling low price from an online dealer with a good return policy (e.g. Overstock.com). Male fashion doesn't change fast enough to be worried with looking out of date (and I suspect, even if it did, lawyers wouldn't now the difference). Some people do this with shirts as well.

2. Invest in a few well-planned and expensive items, such as a BB suit/blazer, nicer shoes, or a classy tie clip/watch.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:56 am

I want to get a conservative blue dress shirt to complement my white ones, which is the one I should be getting?

BB "Blue": http://i.imgur.com/KlRx8.png
or
BB "Light Blue": http://i.imgur.com/yF5WJ.png

Blumpbeef

Gold

Post by Blumpbeef » Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:12 am

Bronck wrote:I want to get a conservative blue dress shirt to complement my white ones, which is the one I should be getting?

BB "Blue": http://i.imgur.com/KlRx8.png
or
BB "Light Blue": http://i.imgur.com/yF5WJ.png
I got the light blue one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”