Military Law Forum

(Issue areas, International Law, International Public Interest, Public Service in the private sector, Non-Profits, Public Interest Organizations, Government/ government agencies, employment settings)
Roclandsfinest23

Bronze

Re: Military Law

Post by Roclandsfinest23 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:06 pm

Active Duty Army Applicant

Backload

New

Post by Backload » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's say you applied to two different branches (AF and Army) and got accepted by both within a month or so (i.e. before starting MEPS or going through training). If you can suppress the urge to flame me for even suggesting such a thing, read on.

What is the appropriate response here? Can you accept both and then reject one? For one thing, you wouldn't know you'd been accepted to the 2nd branch until after you were already presented with the 1st offer. There's a "letter of intent" or "statement of intent" process involved as well, so you could verbally accept and then fail to submit your written statement, right?

I was selected to both last December, you can PM for details

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l_O2r5arXc

Couldn't figure out how how to embed youtube. At the 24:45 mark, it sounds like Army JAG says the selection rate is at 30% which is a huge jump from only a few years back.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Thanks Anon. I just checked again - now I'm "Pending Board Decision" also (active duty application).
Different poster here. My status still says "Under Completeness Review." I wonder if that means anything more than the system hasn't updated for everyone.
What is the appropriate response here? Can you accept both and then reject one? For one thing, you wouldn't know you'd been accepted to the 2nd branch until after you were already presented with the 1st offer. There's a "letter of intent" or "statement of intent" process involved as well, so you could verbally accept and then fail to submit your written statement, right?
You should find out the results for Army and AF around the same time during the holidays. Just getting into one is hard enough. Having to select between two of them would be a great problem to have IMO. My advice is to be honest with them and explain your situation. Lots of people apply to more than one branch, so they'll probably understand. I doubt they would rescind their offer.
I was selected by the Air Force as a 3L. At least with the Air Force, you don't formally commit till after the bar. They have you go through the medical/background screening, and it's not until you have passing bar results that you actually have to sign on the dotted line and accept your commission. So you're probably fine to take some time to think about it.

Specter1389

Bronze

Post by Specter1389 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:29 am

Funnily enough, my next and last assignment before starting law school will be at Maxwell as a Commissioned Officer Training instructor. So for those of you pursuing Air Force JAG, I might get to see some of y'all in a few months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Subwoofer

New

Post by Subwoofer » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:14 pm

Has anyone from the Army JAG 202nd heard from the assignments officer?

blink

Bronze

Post by blink » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:40 pm

I think I have a question that hasn't been asked/answered in this behemoth (which, btw, has been incredibly helpful as a prospective Army JAG): Is it possible to get married during JAG school? Is there any sort of way to take a long weekend in order to fly out to your own wedding? Obviously the honeymoon would have to get pushed back, but there is a special date (for my fiancee and I) that falls during the time that I assume I would be in JAG school in C'ville if I am accepted.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 pm

blink wrote:I think I have a question that hasn't been asked/answered in this behemoth (which, btw, has been incredibly helpful as a prospective Army JAG): Is it possible to get married during JAG school? Is there any sort of way to take a long weekend in order to fly out to your own wedding? Obviously the honeymoon would have to get pushed back, but there is a special date (for my fiancee and I) that falls during the time that I assume I would be in JAG school in C'ville if I am accepted.
Never been to JAG school, but I've been to another Army officer basic course. It's probably possible but far from assured. I'd confirm ASAP before you start booking a venue and telling family to fly out, though. For example, in my officer basic course, there was a student who had a civilian job interview. (He was a National Guard officer, so he had a regular civilian career too) He was able to make arrangements with the chain of command to miss a day to go do that. I expect most of the time the instructors would be okay with it if it wasn't excessive.

However, if the dates falls on some huge training event that is a graduation requirement (Like, "on Tuesday through Thursday we're going to the field and you're going to do the pre-graduation ruck march and weapons quals") then you'd probably be hosed. They're not going to reschedule a huge event just for you.

frankbeans

New

Post by frankbeans » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:05 pm

I would hope for the best, but expect the worst. If you are lucky, and your special day falls on a four day weekend, I would think the chances are greater that the staff would give their blessing on your leaving for the wedding. However, they could just as easily restrict your travel to X number of miles outside of Charlottesville. Maybe think about the possibility of getting married in Charlottesville if you are dead set on getting married on a specific day?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:18 pm

They offer 2 or 3 JAOBC's a year. You can request to be put in the one that doesn't conflict with your desired wedding date.

aussie828

New

Post by aussie828 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:34 pm

Have any of the October Air Force selectees been scheduled for MEPS yet? I filled out the pre-screening form the week before Thanksgiving, but I haven't heard anything since. I know there are still openings for the January COT class, and I don't want to miss it from MEPS taking too long to get scheduled or to get results.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:45 am

aussie828 wrote:Have any of the October Air Force selectees been scheduled for MEPS yet? I filled out the pre-screening form the week before Thanksgiving, but I haven't heard anything since. I know there are still openings for the January COT class, and I don't want to miss it from MEPS taking too long to get scheduled or to get results.
I was selected in October and the email I got with the forms said not to contact accessions until after 1 December. I'm a 3L, though. If you already have bar results in hand the timeline is probably different.

livefromannarbor

Bronze

Post by livefromannarbor » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:37 am

TheSpanishMain wrote:
aussie828 wrote:Have any of the October Air Force selectees been scheduled for MEPS yet? I filled out the pre-screening form the week before Thanksgiving, but I haven't heard anything since. I know there are still openings for the January COT class, and I don't want to miss it from MEPS taking too long to get scheduled or to get results.
I was selected in October and the email I got with the forms said not to contact accessions until after 1 December. I'm a 3L, though. If you already have bar results in hand the timeline is probably different.
Yeah, they're currently working with the practicing attorneys who were selected in the October board. 3Ls were told to wait until 1 Dec to contact accessions so they can prioritize getting the practicing attorneys through the process and on to COT. If you're currently practicing, I'd definitely reach out. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it until after 1 Dec.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aussie828

New

Post by aussie828 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:56 am

livefromannarbor wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Yeah, they're currently working with the practicing attorneys who were selected in the October board. 3Ls were told to wait until 1 Dec to contact accessions so they can prioritize getting the practicing attorneys through the process and on to COT. If you're currently practicing, I'd definitely reach out. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it until after 1 Dec.
OK, I'll have to reach out. I'm currently practicing, and I already filled out the pre-screening form. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:43 am

Subwoofer wrote:Has anyone from the Army JAG 202nd heard from the assignments officer?
Not yet. I'm guessing we'll hear sometime next week.

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am

Question about Army JAG Direct Commission Course. I'm currently a 1LT promotable in the ARNG in the MP branch, and I've cleared the interview phase to become a JAG in my state. I've been told that once I clear the board, I likely won't have to go to DCC before JABOLC since I've already done a BOLC relatively recently.

Anyone know for sure what the deal is usually with people like me?

wg6524

New

Post by wg6524 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:24 am

Fivedham wrote:Question about Army JAG Direct Commission Course. I'm currently a 1LT promotable in the ARNG in the MP branch, and I've cleared the interview phase to become a JAG in my state. I've been told that once I clear the board, I likely won't have to go to DCC before JABOLC since I've already done a BOLC relatively recently.

I'm on the USAR side, but i'm an MP CPT rapidly approaching my O4 BZ. I've been told by JARO a couple different times from a different people that everyone has to go through DCC (even though we've gone through BOLC). Again, i've only asked the questions from a USAR point of view. I imagine you would have an easier time arguing that it would be a waste of state dollars to send you to the DCC right after they got done sending you to BOLC-B.

I've also been told that I would have to start over at, at least, O2 then be "re-promoted" to O3 and start my time in grade over again. I asked the NG that same question and they tap-danced around any true answer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trustdan

New

Post by trustdan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:34 pm

wg6524 wrote:
Fivedham wrote:Question about Army JAG Direct Commission Course. I'm currently a 1LT promotable in the ARNG in the MP branch, and I've cleared the interview phase to become a JAG in my state. I've been told that once I clear the board, I likely won't have to go to DCC before JABOLC since I've already done a BOLC relatively recently.

I'm on the USAR side, but i'm an MP CPT rapidly approaching my O4 BZ. I've been told by JARO a couple different times from a different people that everyone has to go through DCC (even though we've gone through BOLC). Again, i've only asked the questions from a USAR point of view. I imagine you would have an easier time arguing that it would be a waste of state dollars to send you to the DCC right after they got done sending you to BOLC-B.

I've also been told that I would have to start over at, at least, O2 then be "re-promoted" to O3 and start my time in grade over again. I asked the NG that same question and they tap-danced around any true answer.
From what I've read on ARNG DCC forums, they send people back there even if prior commissioned. In the past anyway.

If it looks like they're going to drop you down, you can always look at the ANG. Air Force should have an ANG/Reserve JAG recruiting and vacancy site, usually calling for prior O-4, 5, & 6 JAGs. Can't find the site now.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:45 pm

wg6524 wrote:

Also a prior officer here. I was told by the USAR folks that the presumption is everyone goes to DCC, but that it's possible to get a waiver if going would be pointless/create a hardship. So, for example, if you're like, "Look, I'm a prior officer and I'm starting a new civilian job, I really don't want to take time off to go learn how to shoot an M9 again and sing stupid cadences" then there's a good chance you can get a pass.

Fivedham

Bronze

Post by Fivedham » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:28 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
wg6524 wrote:

Also a prior officer here. I was told by the USAR folks that the presumption is everyone goes to DCC, but that it's possible to get a waiver if going would be pointless/create a hardship. So, for example, if you're like, "Look, I'm a prior officer and I'm starting a new civilian job, I really don't want to take time off to go learn how to shoot an M9 again and sing stupid cadences" then there's a good chance you can get a pass.
Ugh, that's kind of a bummer. I mean, whatever, six weeks is six weeks, but It just feels like a colossal waste of money.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:22 pm

Fivedham wrote:
Ugh, that's kind of a bummer. I mean, whatever, six weeks is six weeks, but It just feels like a colossal waste of money.
It's unbelievably stupid. I'm not trying to make myself sound like I'm a steely eyed killer or anything, but I've been an officer for years. I know how to wear a uniform, I can pass a PT test, and I can qualify at the range. I've deployed to Iraq. Paying for me to spend six weeks doing obstacle courses and memorizing the Army Values or whatever is just dumb.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

professorvoltron

New

Post by professorvoltron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:55 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
Fivedham wrote:
It's unbelievably stupid. I'm not trying to make myself sound like I'm a steely eyed killer or anything, but I've been an officer for years. I know how to wear a uniform, I can pass a PT test, and I can qualify at the range. I've deployed to Iraq. Paying for me to spend six weeks doing obstacle courses and memorizing the Army Values or whatever is just dumb.
I don't know man. I've been through basic training and OBC, and I think 6 weeks at DCC would be fun. Like Bill Murray in "Stripes" but without the badass Winnebago.

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:06 pm

professorvoltron wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
Fivedham wrote:
I don't know man. I've been through basic training and OBC, and I think 6 weeks at DCC would be fun. Like Bill Murray in "Stripes" but without the badass Winnebago.
Well without the Winnebago what's the point? Also, I'm married so I wouldn't be hooking up with any hot lady MPs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 am

Hey folks, I'm currently a practicing attorney that is waiting for the results this month from the AF and Army. I have been given a contract opportunity that runs from 1/2017-6/2017. Hypothetically If I get accepted to either AF or Army, and get MEPS done, would I be commissioned before May of next year? Anybody that knows the timeline for how quick the turnaround is for practicing attorneys would be great. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey folks, I'm currently a practicing attorney that is waiting for the results this month from the AF and Army. I have been given a contract opportunity that runs from 1/2017-6/2017. Hypothetically If I get accepted to either AF or Army, and get MEPS done, would I be commissioned before May of next year? Anybody that knows the timeline for how quick the turnaround is for practicing attorneys would be great. Thanks!
My AF interviewer was in a similar position (practicing attorney): they tried to get him through the paperwork + MEPS and into the very next available COT which started 2 weeks later. He had personal issues to wrap up and couldn't meet the deadlines, but that illustrates how quick it can happen. Granted this was back in '06 - '07, so times may have changed.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Public Interest & Government”