DC/NYC firms for government? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DC/NYC firms for government?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 pm

Hi everyone, current 1L at a T6. Mainly looking at D.C. and some NYC firms; interested in litigation and regulatory work. I'm hoping to end up in government long-term (either ausa, DOJ, or some agency). Does anyone have any insight on firms who are known for sending laterals? I'm trying to make a pre-oci list and send out some applications soon.

For some background, I'm going to be at the DOJ this summer, and have roughly top-third grades.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: DC/NYC firms for government?

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed May 01, 2024 6:33 pm

Covington in DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2024 3:10 am

When I interned at SDNY, I consulted the internal directory and LinkedIn stalked every listed AUSA.

In the past, there was an extremely heavy prejudice in favor of a handful of firms (3 or so). More recently, they've broadened their scope so much it's hard to say. I mean, it's not surprising that Wachtell, Cravath, and Quinn are reliable new sources of hires.

But it never hurts to target the old reliables such as Paul Weiss, Debevoise, etc.

Look at the Chambers white collar "elite" rankings for NYC an DC and focus and the V10ish firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 02, 2024 8:30 am

I'd also add in Davis Polk, which is traditionally very strong at SDNY and EDNY alike. Sullivan & Cromwell is strong as well, and I'd throw Wilmer in the mix too.

I don't know a single AUSA in NYC from Quinn but Quinn has broadened their white collar and CJA (federal indigent defense for cases that the FPDs are conflicted from) pro bono practices in recent years.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2024 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed May 01, 2024 6:29 pm
Hi everyone, current 1L at a T6. Mainly looking at D.C. and some NYC firms; interested in litigation and regulatory work. I'm hoping to end up in government long-term (either ausa, DOJ, or some agency). Does anyone have any insight on firms who are known for sending laterals? I'm trying to make a pre-oci list and send out some applications soon.

For some background, I'm going to be at the DOJ this summer, and have roughly top-third grades.
Covington in DC, Wilmer in DC, the top litigation boutiques, and the V2

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 03, 2024 11:47 pm

Williams & Connolly has sent quite a few associates to DOJ / AUSA roles. Note that they historically have not taken associates back who leave to go to government, particularly to be government prosecutors, but it seems like that policy has been softening a bit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”