Thoughts on Project Development? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Bigballer

New

Thoughts on Project Development?

Post by Bigballer » Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:35 pm

Considering Project Dev over M&A at my firm. Both top groups but will get more experience etc. early on with PD. PD group is also entirely energy based and obviously a much smaller group. Any advice would be appreciated. Trying to weigh options in terms of Partnership, exits if partnership doesn’t work out, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: Thoughts on Project Development?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:08 pm

You should strongly consider project finance. Energy project finance is a high growth area.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:53 pm

That’s a major draw for sure. Not to try to read the tea leaves, but would you have any concerns leaning so heavily into an energy practice? I’m only a junior so would need it to stay hot for some time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:15 pm

I would not worry about that at all as a junior. If anybody would need to worry about that it would be the senior people who have built entire careers in this area, and they are not losing a lot of sleep about it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:24 am

Any concern if the group is is the project dev arm of the project finance practice. How niche of a space would I be getting into?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:29 pm

Project dev has extremely good exit options compared to most niche practices. Especially in the energy space. Project finance will not get you the same exit options. M&A will give you the broadest set of exit options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:06 pm

What kind exits are we talking about re project dev, in terms of comp etc? Not a goal but nice to think of the backstop.

Also is project dev a big group at most firms? In other words, what would my options look like to lateral into partnership if it didn’t work out where I’m at.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:59 am

For energy development companies, you’re looking at entry level corporate counsel (usually $150-180K w 20-25% bonus), senior counsel ($200-240K w 20-25%), AGC ($200-300K w 20-50%), and GC ($250-400K w 50-100%) as exit options. I haven’t included fringe benefits or equity in the above, just straight cash comp. These aren’t hard numbers, it really depends on the candidate and the company, and where the comp lands in the range also depends on size of the company, if it’s PE backed (usually lower end base with higher bonus) or strategic (higher end base with lower bonus), and how many lawyers are in the group.

There are a lot of development jobs in the energy space at developers - renewables is the hot thing right now, so experience with solar, wind and BESS development is a huge plus right now, and there are plenty of jobs hiring. Hydrogen too though it’s newer. But natural gas and carbon capture development is also up there. LNG is very niche and not as many opportunities. Oilfield development is probably not what you want to aim for. M&A folks with energy experience can get these jobs too, but development experience is going to be more attractive.

Depends on the firm and city. If you’re in Houston (and to a lesser extent Dallas), the development groups at law firms can be fairly big. Outside of those two cities, I’d expect the groups to be much smaller within the non-Texas office but you’d probably be interacting with the Texas offices (or main energy office) a bit.

Most should assume they won’t get partnership anywhere, since statically that will be the case for 99.99% of people. A lot of folks don’t truly understand how much of your life you need to give up to make partner, and now most firms won’t even make you equity, they all do non equity now so you’re still grinding at basically the same rate.

You should pick a group because (1) the people are easy to work with, support you in your efforts and appreciate your hard work and understand the need for a work/life balance, (2) the group has a good steady flow of work (not up and down ideally), (3) the potential exit options from the group to in house, (4) the potential exit options from the group to less busy law firms, and (5) the potential for partnership. Note what is first and last in this list.

If you’re truly gunning for partnership, take a good hard look at your firm, its size, the size of the group, the number of *equity* partners in the group, the number of *non equity* partners in the group, the ages of those partners, the number of associates more senior than you, the attrition rate, and try and think whether the firm really needs more equity partners than they currently have in the group. The answer for most groups is a resounding no, which means even if you stuck it out and were good partner material, you likely wouldn’t get equity unless an equity partner retires or leaves.

Also, not many realize this but the partner title can actually make an in house search harder (unless you’ve been a partner for many years) because you’re greatly limited in what positions you can apply for and you’re up against folks who typically have law firm and in house experience while all you have is firm experience.

Bigballer

New

Post by Bigballer » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:52 pm

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for and the write up is very much appreciated. Still don’t know what to do lol but this helps a lot.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”