"Pitching" for Partner Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

"Pitching" for Partner

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:34 pm

Senior associates/counsel who made partner: How much of a "pitch" did you make when discussing being put up for partnership, if at all? I'm sitting down with the equity partner in charge of my group today to discuss the future (at my request), and I'm wondering if there's any information in particular that would be helpful, other than the normal info about my practice, the clients I work with, my experience, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: "Pitching" for Partner

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:34 pm
Senior associates/counsel who made partner: How much of a "pitch" did you make when discussing being put up for partnership, if at all? I'm sitting down with the equity partner in charge of my group today to discuss the future (at my request), and I'm wondering if there's any information in particular that would be helpful, other than the normal info about my practice, the clients I work with, my experience, etc.
No advice but please let us know how it goes/give us insight on what to expect.
Good luck

institutionalized

New

Post by institutionalized » Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:41 pm

I think you have to be more of a "catcher" if you want to make partner.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:11 pm

institutionalized wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:41 pm
I think you have to be more of a "catcher" if you want to make partner.
[insert slow clap]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:00 pm

From big law perspective: I know someone who was seen as pitching for themselves too much and got burned for it. There were other factors at play but that made me realize there's a line to walk. At most firms they will give you an opportunity to pitch yourself where you are expected to do so. Outside of that, i think just making your intentions known about wanting to make partner and asking questions about what are the things they care about, what are they looking for, what can i be doing to position myself, etc., is all fine and shows more of a "I want this and how do I earn it" attitude rather than "I deserve this so you should make me partner" approach. But reasonable minds will differ and obviously you need to know who the players are at your firm and have a good understanding of navigating your particular firm's internal politics. To be clear - i do think self promotion in a subtle way is a very good thing (passing along praise you've received from a client, you had a good meeting or dinner, etc.). Unfortunately, at most firms, just sitting in your office (or at home) and doing excellent work almost certainly isn't going to cut it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:00 pm
From big law perspective: I know someone who was seen as pitching for themselves too much and got burned for it. There were other factors at play but that made me realize there's a line to walk. At most firms they will give you an opportunity to pitch yourself where you are expected to do so. Outside of that, i think just making your intentions known about wanting to make partner and asking questions about what are the things they care about, what are they looking for, what can i be doing to position myself, etc., is all fine and shows more of a "I want this and how do I earn it" attitude rather than "I deserve this so you should make me partner" approach. But reasonable minds will differ and obviously you need to know who the players are at your firm and have a good understanding of navigating your particular firm's internal politics. To be clear - i do think self promotion in a subtle way is a very good thing (passing along praise you've received from a client, you had a good meeting or dinner, etc.). Unfortunately, at most firms, just sitting in your office (or at home) and doing excellent work almost certainly isn't going to cut it.
Not a partner but I have insight into how my firm's process work, and I'd +1 this. I'm reaching the point where I could be put up in the next couple years, and I have adopted the above strategy. I learned a lot about what the process is like by talking with partners about my intentions, and a few partners have responded to my inquiries by including me in the very activities they think will give me a better shot. I'll plan to lobby more when the firm actually puts me up for consideration, but I want to have had a conversation with everyone I'd lobby long beforehand so it doesn't come as a surprise.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”