USAO-DC culture? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

USAO-DC culture?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:02 pm

Hi, any current insight on the culture at the USAO in DC? How is the workload, training, prosecutor satisfaction, etc? Also, how siloed are the federal and local sides of the office?

Anonymous User

Re: USAO-DC culture?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 7:02 pm
Hi, any current insight on the culture at the USAO in DC? How is the workload, training, prosecutor satisfaction, etc? Also, how siloed are the federal and local sides of the office?
The people you will work with on the superior court side are awesome, but the work load is brutal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:11 pm

Got it, what do the hours specifically look like on the Superior Court side? Like Mon-Fri 8:30am to 7pm? Later? Also are there any days of the week WFH is allowed?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:04 am

Any further insight?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2023 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:11 pm
Got it, what do the hours specifically look like on the Superior Court side? Like Mon-Fri 8:30am to 7pm? Later? Also are there any days of the week WFH is allowed?
I can’t really say, it all goes in waves based on trials and how many cases you’re carrying. But resources are tight and there’s not nearly enough attorneys so you will be crushed by the sheer amount of cases.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:41 pm

Why would anyone take an AUSA slot in Superior Court over literally anywhere else? From what I understand, almost everyone in that division is worked to death with menial cases, will never get to work in the federal court section, and faces one of the most hostile public defender’s offices in the country. Help me understand the upside of working there if you could go to a comparable office (like the border)/a more typical district where you’ll get to appear in federal court.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 09, 2023 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:41 pm
Why would anyone take an AUSA slot in Superior Court over literally anywhere else? From what I understand, almost everyone in that division is worked to death with menial cases, will never get to work in the federal court section, and faces one of the most hostile public defender’s offices in the country. Help me understand the upside of working there if you could go to a comparable office (like the border)/a more typical district where you’ll get to appear in federal court.
I was under the impression that people go to USAO DC since it’s easier to get into than other USAOs in the area. Not completely sure about this though

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
People can get hired by USAO DC much earlier in their career than other USAOs typically because of the superior court side. The benefit being immediate trial experience and a ton of time learning on your feet. Also, I’m not sure why you believe superior court hires don’t ever go to the federal court section because that’s just not true at all. A lot of people work their way up through superior court and then move to other sections, or go to Main, or go to another USAO. It’s a good springing board if you can put up with the bullshit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:52 pm

Can people get hired at USAO DC with judge litigation experience in biglaw? I saw that very few people were able to do this and was unsure whether this was a self selection thing or whether USAO DC wants people, at the very least, to have a superior court clerkship.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:05 am
Anonymous User wrote:
People can get hired by USAO DC much earlier in their career than other USAOs typically because of the superior court side. The benefit being immediate trial experience and a ton of time learning on your feet. Also, I’m not sure why you believe superior court hires don’t ever go to the federal court section because that’s just not true at all. A lot of people work their way up through superior court and then move to other sections, or go to Main, or go to another USAO. It’s a good springing board if you can put up with the bullshit.
I agree with the poster above. Also, I don't know this for sure, but I suspect plenty of people who go to the USAO DC, especially early, just want to be prosecutors and want to be in DC. If that's the case, why not go to the USAO over the various local Maryland or Virginia offices? AUSA pay isn't as good as the GS-scale, but it's usually better than what local prosecutors make (not always, but usually). Not everyone is weighing USAO against biglaw, and not everyone wants to move around the country to get into a USAO. Plus, getting into the USAO DC early is going to be easier than getting into EDVA early (or at all, to my understanding).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”