Latham NY Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Latham NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:56 pm

Seen a couple vague posts on fishbowl about “discrimination” at Latham NY… is there anything there

Anonymous User

Re: Latham NY

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:44 am

I'm a Latham NY associate. The firm is extremely white. Like 5 of the M&A partners are named David. There's one token black partner and one token black associate out of like 60 people in M&A. I have not experienced overt racism, but there's definitely zero real effort for diversity, and as a person who is not white (but went to a majority white high school), this is the first place where I felt out of place due to my ethnicity.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:44 am
I'm a Latham NY associate. The firm is extremely white. Like 5 of the M&A partners are named David. There's one token black partner and one token black associate out of like 60 people in M&A. I have not experienced overt racism, but there's definitely zero real effort for diversity, and as a person who is not white (but went to a majority white high school), this is the first place where I felt out of place due to my ethnicity.
this is hardly unique to Latham, to be clear; M&A definitely slants towards white men (and arguably a tall, extroverted "bro-y" sort). Lots of Davids and Johns and Steves

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 am
Anonymous User wrote:
this is hardly unique to Latham, to be clear; M&A definitely slants towards white men (and arguably a tall, extroverted "bro-y" sort). Lots of Davids and Johns and Steves
Could definitely be worse than Latham NY. Chambers associate has the nationwide racial stats on all of the firms that aren’t too embarrassed to post, for those that are curious.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm sorry you care so much about the skin tones of your fellow associates. I hope you can one day look past the color of a person's skin and focus on what matters

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm sorry you care so much about the skin tones of your fellow associates. I hope you can one day look past the color of a person's skin and focus on what matters
You can't be serious lmfao

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:25 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
be gone troll!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:51 am

Multiple POC summers no offered?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:51 am
This is news to me. When do NALP results get posted?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:00 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:51 am
This is news to me. When do NALP results get posted?
Just what someone said on fish bowl

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:04 pm

LW associate here. Unfortunately 2 POC summers were no offered. It’s an unfortunate look but one of them had repeated incidents of blatant sexual harassment (and I heard other stories that weren’t reported) that led to them being let go during the summer.

The other one was a former pre-law summer who had spent three summers at LW including this past summer. To give the most blunt response, big law just isn’t for this person. I understand that numerous accommodations were made for them that escalated each year, despite several people calling for them not to receive return offers due to a combination of social interactions and work product. This person was at the point of effectively having their own tailored summer program separate from the rest of the SAs. None of the SAs that I spoke to after the fact were surprised at the outcome.

Think LW is coming out of this one with an underserved bad image, though maybe could’ve weeded these out better?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:04 pm
LW associate here. Unfortunately 2 POC summers were no offered. It’s an unfortunate look but one of them had repeated incidents of blatant sexual harassment (and I heard other stories that weren’t reported) that led to them being let go during the summer.

The other one was a former pre-law summer who had spent three summers at LW including this past summer. To give the most blunt response, big law just isn’t for this person. I understand that numerous accommodations were made for them that escalated each year, despite several people calling for them not to receive return offers due to a combination of social interactions and work product. This person was at the point of effectively having their own tailored summer program separate from the rest of the SAs. None of the SAs that I spoke to after the fact were surprised at the outcome.

Think LW is coming out of this one with an underserved bad image, though maybe could’ve weeded these out better?
Oof, I assumed the fired SA wasn’t included as one of the two no offered because he didn’t make it to the end of the summer. His story spread like wildfire at my school, definitely justified.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:37 am

I figured that was the case. Sad to hear nonetheless.

Latham isn’t stupid. Anyone that risks no offering multiple POC needs a good reason just for optics reasons

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:14 am

Latham sounds at fault in the case of the summer with their own separate program. Don’t let it get that far and let them find another firm in 2L summer recruiting…

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2023 1:14 am
Latham sounds at fault in the case of the summer with their own separate program. Don’t let it get that far and let them find another firm in 2L summer recruiting…
LW associate here. I heard that that summer didn't request or complete any assignment this entire summer and did not show up at most summer events.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:19 pm

Ok, and can we get a count on the number of Steves?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:40 pm

Latham associate here. It does depend on the practice group. Agreed that M&A skews white & male. Banking is more diverse - unfortunately, only one black partner and no black associates but about half of the group is Asian or Latino (admittedly this is somewhat unique to banking because the group has been direct hiring 3Ls rather than unassigned opting in). Definitely something the firm needs to work on more though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Former LW SA here.

I agree that the two NY SAs who were no-offered this year 10000% deserved it.
However, two things can be right.

What also happened was that, last summer, several POC across LW's offices in the U.S. turned down their 1L or 2L diversity fellowships due to their experiences with racism. I was one of them. Tons of us were Asian, Black, Latino/a, women, etc. and we were horrified by the shit we saw and personally experienced. We are *happily* at other firms now, and it's bonkers because we didn't even know how bad things were until we started seeing each other at different offer dinners for other firms.

Oh - and the one Black male partner at LW NY just left the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:46 am

Not a single actual example of racist policies has been presented thus far in this thread.

I am a foreign midlevel attorney at a major Biglaw firm in NYC. I have next to nothing in common with the rich, waspy partners I work for, but I' m not going to bitch and moan about that. That's just how things are at any major biglaw firm, and if you didn't want to deal with that fact, you could have picked a different profession.

If there are actual examples of overt racist policies or individual incidents, state them. Otherwise Latham doesn't seem to be a particularly bad faith actor in terms of diversity and inclusion, based on what has been discussed so far.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:31 pm
Anonymous User wrote:

Former LW SA here.

What also happened was that, last summer, several POC across LW's offices in the U.S. turned down their 1L or 2L diversity fellowships due to their experiences with racism. I was one of them. Tons of us were Asian, Black, Latino/a, women, etc. and we were horrified by the shit we saw and personally experienced. We are *happily* at other firms now, and it's bonkers because we didn't even know how bad things were until we started seeing each other at different offer dinners for other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:04 am

^im not sure why you think you have to be a Latham apologist…yes, because when something wasn’t reported on an anonymous forum, it means it never happened. Moreover, doxxing isn’t a real issue in Fall 2023 -_- Sadly, this is a general trend I see of foreign associates who feel so lucky to have a higher salary than they ever could have domestically, that they take every kind of abuse. But if you grew up being discriminated against your entire life, promised recognition and support at a “top” firm, and then faced racism immediately upon joining, you might feel upset enough not to return to a firm… Relax and get back to billing, Mr. Latham

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:46 am
I am a foreign midlevel attorney at a major Biglaw firm in NYC. I have next to nothing in common with the rich, waspy partners I work for, but I' m not going to bitch and moan about that.
I didn't work for a single WASP partner during my time in NYC biglaw. They've been discriminated against into near extinction, with a vengeance, and now we have this regime. There's no need to pile on any more.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Former LW SA here.

I think it would be more helpful for everyone, including potential summer associates and even Latham, for you to cite specific things that happened rather than broadly gesturing and referencing things that you were “horrified to see” without specifics. If it was that horrifying, then I would personally gladly broadcast that to the world.

I’m at Latham and personally do care about these things but when people don’t come to us and tell us what they’re seeing, we are less effective. Even in exit interviews everyone paints a pretty face on the way out.

Also, was sad to see Jason go. Very very nice person, but the firm is just not promoting income partners to equity in capital markets right now given the state of the market and he found a firm that would offer him that path. I don’t think a single capital markets partner was even made globally this year IIRC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:29 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Former LW SA here.

I think it would be more helpful for everyone, including potential summer associates and even Latham, for you to cite specific things that happened rather than broadly gesturing and referencing things that you were “horrified to see” without specifics. If it was that horrifying, then I would personally gladly broadcast that to the world.

I’m at Latham and personally do care about these things but when people don’t come to us and tell us what they’re seeing, we are less effective. Even in exit interviews everyone paints a pretty face on the way out.

Also, was sad to see Jason go. Very very nice person, but the firm is just not promoting income partners to equity in capital markets right now given the state of the market and he found a firm that would offer him that path. I don’t think a single capital markets partner was even made globally this year IIRC.

Former LW SA again.

I’m not going to dox myself and broadcast specific aspects my experiences (and certainly not those of others) without feeling comfortable enough that they won’t be used against me or others. Plenty of people did that while I was at LW and got burned for it, and there are a small number of Diversity Scholars that it’s pretty easy to get doxxed. I am helpful in that I have already spoken to several people who’ve messaged me on various platforms to ask about how the firm was, and I’m honest with them and try to warn them. And then there are posts like these where I do the same.

Some people actually *did* go to associates or partners to share their experiences and/or make a report. Some tried to avoid reporting and it didn’t matter because of the mandatory reporting policy (hence, others reported on their behalf). Regardless, nothing made a difference. Incidents were completely ignored or shoved under the rug. “Investigations” amounted to nothing, and they rarely do they, because after all, this is Corporate America. We knew we would be putting our careers on the line, so we smiled and carried on, waited to get the hell out, and breathed a sigh of relief upon doing so.

There’s a reason why so many of us, despite being from low-income backgrounds, had no issue with giving up the $50,000 bonus/scholarship. The issues were *that* bad, and I don’t use the term “horrific” lightly.

As for partnership, a few in cap markets were promoted back in February, but very few in Nov. (maybe one overseas). Regardless, I wish Jason the best.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:49 pm

can you give a more specific but also generalized example of the instances of discrimination you felt uncomfortable with? which offices besides NY did you see it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”