Elite boutiques that pay market/above market? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Elite boutiques that pay market/above market?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:32 am

What is MoloLamken’s pay scale (and bonuses)? Because I’ve heard the opposite, that it pays under market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:55 pm
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:18 pm

I call massive BS. Which judges are taking people with straight P's?
"have taken" doesn't mean it happens often.

Personally I don't doubt that some district judge somewhere has taken an HLS student with one semester of P's (perhaps with a pinky promise to improve those grades later on) and some combination of: FedSoc, military vet, diverse (by FedSoc standards), local ties, cultural affinity or personal connection to the judge.
This happens, but very rarely, at least at the COA level. Almost no COA judges are taking someone with straight Ps. What I have seen is some judges hire so early that they end up taking someone from HYS who had one good semester or year, but then a drop off. So, some of these judges end up with clerks who were near the top of the class when hired but closer to median when they graduated. But the vast majority of Fed Soc affiliated clerks are cum laude or above from T14 schools. The main bump with Fed Soc is not that mediocre grades can get you a clerkship. Rather, it is that if you are Fed Soc and you have good grades, then that combination is basically sufficient to get you a decent clerkship. But for liberals good grades is usually necessary, but not sufficient. Also, you need to be on a Board to get this bump. Just listing Fed Soc on a resume is not going to get you a bump, unless you go to Yale.
TBF, there are a low double digit number of people clerking on CA5 from my class at HLS and only one of them graduated with any type of Latin honors.
Graduating cum laude from HLS is insanely easy. Hundreds of people do it every year. Not impressive anyway
Which would make the fact that most of them graduated without even cum laude even more telling about the academic thresholds for certain CA5 judges.

Also, not sure how graduating top third at one school is easier/harder than graduating top third at a bigger/smaller school, just not how percentiles work, lol.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:32 am
What is MoloLamken’s pay scale (and bonuses)? Because I’ve heard the opposite, that it pays under market.
Total compensation is usually 10-20% over market.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:19 am
Anonymous User wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:40 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:30 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:55 pm
The Lsat Airbender wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:51 pm
Anonymous User wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:18 pm

I call massive BS. Which judges are taking people with straight P's?
"have taken" doesn't mean it happens often.

Personally I don't doubt that some district judge somewhere has taken an HLS student with one semester of P's (perhaps with a pinky promise to improve those grades later on) and some combination of: FedSoc, military vet, diverse (by FedSoc standards), local ties, cultural affinity or personal connection to the judge.
This happens, but very rarely, at least at the COA level. Almost no COA judges are taking someone with straight Ps. What I have seen is some judges hire so early that they end up taking someone from HYS who had one good semester or year, but then a drop off. So, some of these judges end up with clerks who were near the top of the class when hired but closer to median when they graduated. But the vast majority of Fed Soc affiliated clerks are cum laude or above from T14 schools. The main bump with Fed Soc is not that mediocre grades can get you a clerkship. Rather, it is that if you are Fed Soc and you have good grades, then that combination is basically sufficient to get you a decent clerkship. But for liberals good grades is usually necessary, but not sufficient. Also, you need to be on a Board to get this bump. Just listing Fed Soc on a resume is not going to get you a bump, unless you go to Yale.
TBF, there are a low double digit number of people clerking on CA5 from my class at HLS and only one of them graduated with any type of Latin honors.
Graduating cum laude from HLS is insanely easy. Hundreds of people do it every year. Not impressive anyway
Which would make the fact that most of them graduated without even cum laude even more telling about the academic thresholds for certain CA5 judges.

Also, not sure how graduating top third at one school is easier/harder than graduating top third at a bigger/smaller school, just not how percentiles work, lol.
You misunderstood my comment. But then again, you probably couldn't even get cum at HLS

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:32 am
MoloLamken is above market, but they don't publicize their comp.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”