Videoconference callback?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Videoconference callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:35 pm

Has anyone had one of these? I’m interviewing with a firm next week and I’m “meeting” with people from their other offices. I will be in their local office (the practice group is in another office.

Has anyone had this experience before? What is there usually another round after this?

Anonymous User

Re: Videoconference callback?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:35 am

Has anyone had one of these? I’m interviewing with a firm next week and I’m “meeting” with people from their other offices. I will be in their local office (the practice group is in another office.

Has anyone had this experience before? What is there usually another round after this?

I've had this a few times. Very normal. It's hard to say what is the last "stage". I've been offered roles without ever meeting anyone in person and then I've had to meet 12 people over 5 meetings before getting an offer. If you're overseas or too far away to make it practical to meet everyone and the janitor, a video-conference is best option. Don't overthink.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:07 pm

OP here.

Are you saying that these are not generally the same as the other biglaw callbacks where it is just a one and done interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 am

OP here.

Are you saying that these are not generally the same as the other biglaw callbacks where it is just a one and done interview?

It's incredibly difficult to generalize like that (i.e., "just one and done"). Not sure what you're asking?

Are you talking about wall-street firms, magic circle, silver circle, local, what country? I never knew interviews were so formulaic as you suggest...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here.

It's incredibly difficult to generalize like that (i.e., "just one and done"). Not sure what you're asking?

Are you talking about wall-street firms, magic circle, silver circle, local, what country? I never knew interviews were so formulaic as you suggest...

Op here.

Callbacks are usually very formulaic. I don’t know what you’re talking about. Most biglaw lateral interviews are like 2-3 hours in the firm’s office (with lunch or something sometimes)

This is for your run of the mill biglaw firm in the U.S.

I don’t know why you’re suggesting that callbacks differ greatly. I’ve gone through many lateral callbacks before and this is the only one that was formatted this way.

I was wondering if this callback if going to be two rounds, where I meet the entire team during the videoconference but then I have to meet other people in person at the office where I’d be sitting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixy

Gold

Postby nixy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:10 am

A friend of mine had multiple round callbacks for a lateral job as well - in that case, it was specifically because they wanted my friend to meet everyone in the relevant group, and people kept being out when they'd bring my friend in. I also know of people doing video conference interviews and then flying out to meet people. So in your case, hard to say anything for certain.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had one of these? I’m interviewing with a firm next week and I’m “meeting” with people from their other offices. I will be in their local office (the practice group is in another office.

Yes, very normal if you're going to be working with people across offices in your group. I interviewed for a firm's SV office and had video interviews with SF attorneys who I would be working with (and am currently working with).

As for whether there will be another round, sure, that's possible but don't think that turns on whether you had video conferences with people in other offices. It'll be since the firm wants to bring you in for a fresh look, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here.

I was wondering if this callback if going to be two rounds, where I meet the entire team during the videoconference but then I have to meet other people in person at the office where I’d be sitting.

I don't know how anonymously asking the internet can answer this fairly specific question :roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP here.

I don't know how anonymously asking the internet can answer this fairly specific question :roll:

OP here.

One, it’s not so specific that people can’t give answers, which they have done. Two, nice use of anon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone had one of these? I’m interviewing with a firm next week and I’m “meeting” with people from their other offices. I will be in their local office (the practice group is in another office.

I had the exact same experience and was also wondering if there would be another round. FWIW, I got an offer after the interview and there was not another round. NY office, 1L SA position

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:40 pm

I had the exact same experience and was also wondering if there would be another round. FWIW, I got an offer after the interview and there was not another round. NY office, 1L SA position

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:18 pm

Similar situation here but I actually already met with the hiring partner in person for the first round. Hope there is not another round because I waited an extremely long time between interviews (~ 2 months).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment?