Non-Partnership Associates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Non-Partnership Associates

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:38 pm

I've been working for but over a year in-house after a stint in public service. I've been extremely unhappy at my in-house job (below-market compensation, seemingly little room for advancement, lack of meaningful work -- seriously, I often wonder why I commute, distance to office from home). Work-life balance is great, but I'm bored. A headhunter I know reached out about a position in a biglaw firm, and I've been asked to interview. Turns out the position is non-partnership track. I haven't heard much about non-partnership associates, so I was wondering if anyone knew about it. I know there's lower billable requirements and obviously no advancement, but any insight would be helpful.

FND

Bronze

Re: Non-Partnership Associates

Postby FND » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:44 pm

I haven’t done it, so my information is second hand, but ya kinda hit the nail on the head.

It’s generally normal hours (40/wk) for a much lower salary and no future progression

nealric

Re: Non-Partnership Associates

Postby nealric » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've been working for but over a year in-house after a stint in public service. I've been extremely unhappy at my in-house job (below-market compensation, seemingly little room for advancement, lack of meaningful work -- seriously, I often wonder why I commute, distance to office from home). Work-life balance is great, but I'm bored. A headhunter I know reached out about a position in a biglaw firm, and I've been asked to interview. Turns out the position is non-partnership track. I haven't heard much about non-partnership associates, so I was wondering if anyone knew about it. I know there's lower billable requirements and obviously no advancement, but any insight would be helpful.

You'd likely be trading one dead-end job for another I'm afraid. Non-partnership track positions usually involve pretty menial work and are the first to go when times get tough. Better work-life balance than partnership track, but that's about the only advantage. Of course, every firm has its own flavor and name for these sorts of positions, and some are better than others, but I'd suggest holding out for partnership track if you think you want to go biglaw.

Return to “Legal Employment?