Bringing in Clients Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bringing in Clients

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:46 pm

I've been at a midsize law firm for a couple of months, and my landlord needs estate planning assistance. I recommended him to work with my firm and he is willing to. This is outside of my practice group, but I'd like to bring him in. From what I can tell, he has a few rental properties, so I'd imagine a sizable estate. What's the best way of going about this, and would I be able to get a cut of it as an associate besides normal billing? Origination?

Jay2716

Bronze

Re: Bringing in Clients

Post by Jay2716 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:26 am

Talk to a more-senior associate or partner you trust. This is what partner-mentors are for if your firm has that kind of program. You will probably be entitled to some origination credit, but how your firm calculates it is anyone's guess.

You will probably need a supervising partner to sign off on everything. I have found some partners who go out of their way to help me bring in business and make sure I get full credit. I have had others who did not give me any origination credit but rather took it for themselves. Make sure you use a partner who you think is willing to invest in you. There can be a lot of non-billable admin work involved for the partner, so finding someone willing to take that on and give you the credit is huge.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”