Given an offer at an EU institution. Is it worth it for me?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Given an offer at an EU institution. Is it worth it for me?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:56 am

Hello!

I'm at a critical crossroads in my life. I have a B.A. in Jurisprudence from an American school and a Masters in EU law from King's College London. I am a dual U.S./Italian citizen originally from NYC currently living and working in Italy where I own my own small business in a law-related field. If I were to take a 9-5 job I could easily hand over the operation of my business to my SO and it can be operated from anywhere in the world.

I've applied--and received an offer--for a marginally prestigious position as a legal advisor in an EU institution. However, my ultimate dream is to find work in the EU office (anywhere) of an American firm, which would obviously involve me going back to the US and going to law school at some point. I don't really want to stay locked out of positions which require you to be a practicing attorney.

If you were me, would you take this job? Would a few years of experience in an EU institution be looked upon favorably for future NYC firm employers? Would it ultimately help my chances in the long run of being employed in one of the EU offices of an American firm? Keep in mind that I am 31, and getting older every year! :P

Decisions, decisions. If I don't take this job I will immediately go back to the US to apply to law schools, so I need to consider if this minor "right turn" is worth it in the long run.

malibustacy

Bronze

Re: Given an offer at an EU institution. Is it worth it for me?

Postby malibustacy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:58 am

If your goal is to become an American attorney practicing in Europe, forget the EU job, go to the best law school possible and get good grades.

Experience doesn't matter too much for big law recruiting at American firms, so its not really worth it.

Return to “Legal Employment�