Summer Associate Class of 2017 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you working this summer?

NYC
27%
DC
8%
LA
7%
Chicago
9%
Boston
5%
Texas
12%
San Fransisco
8%
Atlanta
3%
Philly
5%
Other
18%

Total votes: 260

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: Summer Associate Class of 2017

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:we have MORE IMPORTANT things to talk about like what models and which bottles to purchase with these fat stacks??
If you were at my firm and out with me, your fat stacks would be staying in your pocket because those receipts would be getting sent straight to my secretary.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu May 04, 2017 8:43 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:we have MORE IMPORTANT things to talk about like what models and which bottles to purchase with these fat stacks??
If you were at my firm and out with me, your fat stacks would be staying in your pocket because those receipts would be getting sent straight to my secretary.
If you spend money as an SA ya dun goofed.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu May 04, 2017 8:53 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
On the real, though, I will offer this advice: If you (a SA) are out with an associate or a partner and you're ordering a round of drinks at the bar, be classy and try to pay for the round. Not the polite "go for your wallet after everyone else already has their card out and not really even get your wallet but just kind of gesture for your back pocket." But actually have your card ready to pay and honestly give 100% effort to pay. I would say that 9 out of 10 times the associate or partner you are with won't let you pay and will insist that you don't pay. But the honest and actual effort is classy and will be remembered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 9:27 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
On the real, though, I will offer this advice: If you (a SA) are out with an associate or a partner and you're ordering a round of drinks at the bar, be classy and try to pay for the round. Not the polite "go for your wallet after everyone else already has their card out and not really even get your wallet but just kind of gesture for your back pocket." But actually have your card ready to pay and honestly give 100% effort to pay. I would say that 9 out of 10 times the associate or partner you are with won't let you pay and will insist that you don't pay. But the honest and actual effort is classy and will be remembered.
Do people not do this? It's not like you're a college kid, you are being paid $3500 a week. How can you not offer to pay for a round lol

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Good advice, but not sure how common it would be - usually there's a tab.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu May 04, 2017 11:16 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
I would asssume if they're out with summers they're just going to expense it anyway? Wouldn't it be kind of weird to try and pay in that situation?

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Thu May 04, 2017 11:54 pm

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu May 04, 2017 11:58 pm

Gray wrote:How many events can I come up with excuses to avoid before they get suspicious? Also how many of my fancy lunches can I shove into a tupperware to take home for my spouse before it gets kind of weird..1? 0.5? And on that note what brand of tupperware should i be investing in to make sure my summer goes as smoothly as possible? So many important questions.
I'd hate to tell you this, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone take leftovers.

For events, how big your class is will make a big difference. For the bigger ones, people won't notice.

Gray

Platinum

Post by Gray » Fri May 05, 2017 12:21 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 05, 2017 12:39 am

Gray wrote:
sublime wrote: I'd hate to tell you this, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone take leftovers.
Crushing.
Probably a bad idea to try to be a trendsetter? I'm a little surprised there aren't any eccentric partners who do this.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 05, 2017 12:46 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
Gray wrote:
sublime wrote: I'd hate to tell you this, but I don't think I have ever seen anyone take leftovers.
Crushing.
Probably a bad idea to try to be a trendsetter? I'm a little surprised there aren't any eccentric partners who do this.
I'm NYC, so it may differ, but are you really going to ask for a to go box at a Michelin starred fine dining restaurant?

If you are going biglaw you will love how much shit you can expense if you feel like it.

Serett

Post by Serett » Fri May 05, 2017 1:38 am

I bought a black leather briefcase/shoulder bag.

Better to use with the strap as a shoulder bag or without as a briefcase?

(not actually going to be a SA)

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Fri May 05, 2017 1:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I bought a black leather briefcase/shoulder bag.

Better to use with the strap as a shoulder bag or without as a briefcase?
Either way is fine. Whichever is more functional?

Related to this, any thoughts on bringing a backpack to work instead of a brief case/shoulder bag? I want to be able to work out after work but also don't want to look like a schmuck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 05, 2017 1:53 am

sublime wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Gray wrote:
Crushing.
I'm NYC, so it may differ, but are you really going to ask for a to go box at a Michelin starred fine dining restaurant?

If you are going biglaw you will love how much shit you can expense if you feel like it.
Wasn't entirely sure what sort of restaurants to expect, so this seems like a fair trade.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Fri May 05, 2017 2:41 am

Hikikomorist wrote:
sublime wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:
Gray wrote:
Crushing.

Wasn't entirely sure what sort of restaurants to expect, so this seems like a fair trade.
Fwiw, where I am at we have a 65 dollar per person limit which resets at each new place you go. That goes a long way on lunches ESP with prix fixe menus.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:29 am

DC summers living in poverty on $35 per person lunches...

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri May 05, 2017 10:04 am

hey we've got a couple michelin stars round these parts now

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 05, 2017 10:32 am

Anyone with Biglaw experience at a TX firm? I'm a 1L SA

buckiguy_sucks

Gold

Post by buckiguy_sucks » Fri May 05, 2017 10:50 am

Moneytrees wrote: Related to this, any thoughts on bringing a backpack to work instead of a brief case/shoulder bag? I want to be able to work out after work but also don't want to look like a schmuck.
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=277378

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:15 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:hey we've got a couple michelin stars round these parts now
That you can't even go to on a $35 lunch budget

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Fri May 05, 2017 1:47 pm

is it SOP or even necessary to have a bag as an SA? I can't imagine having anything to actually put it in that I'd be carrying from the firm back to my apartment, but at the same time, walking in empty handed everyday seems sort of weird. Do SAs need bags? (take laptop home, papers home, etc?)

I assume no

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri May 05, 2017 1:53 pm

clshopeful wrote:is it SOP or even necessary to have a bag as an SA? I can't imagine having anything to actually put it in that I'd be carrying from the firm back to my apartment, but at the same time, walking in empty handed everyday seems sort of weird. Do SAs need bags? (take laptop home, papers home, etc?)

I assume no
Briefcase or gtfo

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri May 05, 2017 1:55 pm

WOW just got an email that our lunch budget is $25. Cheap fucks. (Instagram) models and (popov) bottles smh.

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Fri May 05, 2017 2:10 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:WOW just got an email that our lunch budget is $25. Cheap fucks. (Instagram) models and (popov) bottles smh.
Do associates typically enjoy having SAs around for the extra free meals/events, or is that outweighed by the babysitting responsibilities?

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Fri May 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:WOW just got an email that our lunch budget is $25. Cheap fucks. (Instagram) models and (popov) bottles smh.
Do associates typically enjoy having SAs around for the extra free meals/events, or is that outweighed by the babysitting responsibilities?
Dunno, I'm a first year. But if I'm slow I don't mind chilling with the summers...if they're cool. We'll see.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”