What are the positive aspects of Biglaw - besides salary? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
zot1

Gold

Re: What are the positive aspects of Biglaw - besides salary?

Post by zot1 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:35 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
zot1 wrote:Impressing family friends.
My parents friends are impressed by the local billboard attorneys who went to Stetson. They've never heard of the firm I work for.
I'm sure they'd be impressed if they knew how much you made.
Plenty of the guys on the billboards make a hell of a lot more.
Still doesn't mean the family friends wouldn't be impressed by a biglaw salary...

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
My parents friends are impressed by the local billboard attorneys who went to Stetson. They've never heard of the firm I work for.
Yeah I hear those torts lawyers make a killing. There's a reason why they're reviled as "ambulance chasers."
u think that some rando biglaw associate can afford to advertise their practice on a billboard along i-70? i rest my case

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah I hear those torts lawyers make a killing. There's a reason why they're reviled as "ambulance chasers."
u think that some rando biglaw associate can afford to advertise their practice on a billboard along i-70? i rest my case

got 'em

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'd LOVE to see some independently wealthy big law associate, in a blaze of glory, throw up a billboard advertising their practice/firm with some goofy pictures and a great catch phrase.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:08 pm

ymmv, but lack of face time and generally being treated like a professional can be benefits

You'll work more than most jobs but at many firms, as long as you get your job done, the people you work for will keep far less track of your whereabouts than most jobs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:50 pm

-Compensation
-Exit options
-Autonomy/lack of face time/being treated like a professional (depends)
-Training (depends)
-Interesting work (depends)

WhiteCollarBlueShirt

Bronze

Post by WhiteCollarBlueShirt » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 pm

Suffering for others... learning valuable info to be able to dissuade offspring and future generations...

But for real, it's an acceptable resume line and pays the bills... not a great job, but a job.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 pm

Biglaw is always an acceptable excuse to get out of bullshit obligations for friends/family whether or not you actually have work.
Last edited by Monochromatic Oeuvre on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:31 pm

The best part about BigLaw is having a better appreciation for Patrick Bateman

and the salary

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Exit options, resources, several nice perks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:40 pm

For me, as a litigator, it's definitely attention to detail. I'm a much better writer now and I actually pay attention to small details that I would have blown through or cut corners in in they past. I want to be a trial lawyer, and even have been doing trial work in biglaw, but the habit of caring about the details has definitely made me a better lawyer.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For me, as a litigator, it's definitely attention to detail. I'm a much better writer now and I actually pay attention to small details that I would have blown through or cut corners in in they past. I want to be a trial lawyer, and even have been doing trial work in biglaw, but the habit of caring about the details has definitely made me a better lawyer.
My small experience as a judicial intern in a big city echoed this. Reading briefs from small firms or solo shops was hard because it would be full of typos and inconsistencies. Biglaw firm briefs were meticulously drafted, precise, logical and organized.

The biglaw firms definitely give you good substantive training on a litigation front I think.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:Biglaw is always an acceptable excuse to get out of bullshit obligations for friends/family whether or not you actually have work.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:03 pm

favabeansoup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For me, as a litigator, it's definitely attention to detail. I'm a much better writer now and I actually pay attention to small details that I would have blown through or cut corners in in they past. I want to be a trial lawyer, and even have been doing trial work in biglaw, but the habit of caring about the details has definitely made me a better lawyer.
My small experience as a judicial intern in a big city echoed this. Reading briefs from small firms or solo shops was hard because it would be full of typos and inconsistencies. Biglaw firm briefs were meticulously drafted, precise, logical and organized.

The biglaw firms definitely give you good substantive training on a litigation front I think.
Off subject, but that's a dangerous assumption. Plenty of small shops that produce good work product; plenty big law work isn't that great.

Barry grandpapy

Bronze

Post by Barry grandpapy » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm

Last edited by Barry grandpapy on Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:07 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:

Off subject, but that's a dangerous assumption. Plenty of small shops that produce good work product; plenty big law work isn't that great.
Sure. And it seems to be more a function of the client willing to pay several thousand dollars for proofreading alone. But in my experience biglaw work is way more polished overall.

gander14

New

Post by gander14 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:18 pm

I knew the salary was going to be nice, I knew the exit opps would look pretty good, but the benefit that surprised me is the autonomy (as has been mentioned a few times). Within reason, I go to work when I want and I leave work when I want. I never have to make an excuse to leave the office early, or to decide last-minute to take a long weekend, or to work remotely, or to take a long lunch/walk in the middle of the workday (of course, as long as none of this conflicts with any actual deadlines/meetings/calls). It's nice to be treated and trusted like an adult.

Another underrated aspect is the solitude. If you are not in NY, you probably have your own office. Depending on the types of projects you are on, especially early in your career, you can avoid extensive conversations or facetime with people for days on end. It's not for everyone, but I like it.

I actually hate that everyone I work with is smart and driven. One of the things I miss most about my past career is being one of the most competent people. It made it really easy to look good and to slack.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:24 pm

I sometimes get irrationally envious of plaintiffs lawyers for being able to file some of the garbage they do without having to answer to a biglaw partner / client.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 pm

the associate incest/gossip

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 pm

Abbie Doobie wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
zot1 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Celino and Barnes!

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:47 pm

Sometimes it's just the little things, like my daily spectacular view of the city from my skyscraper office. I look down and watch the traffic helicopters fly by.
Last edited by Toni V on Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:48 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
favabeansoup wrote:

Yes. I'm across the v. with a well known Chicago biglaw firm and some of the shit they file makes me question whether their clients should even pay them.

queso

New

Post by queso » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:49 pm

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 3&t=170603

User has been outed and warned for needless anon and posting as a 0L.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:16 am

Nothing. The job sucks.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:33 am

The irony of criticizing someone for one rule (0Ls) while violating that rule and another (anon).

Anyways, while it is a 0L-ish question, I do not believe OP is violating the rules so y'all can stop citing the rules.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”