Living in NYC for Biglaw w/ Family Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: Living in NYC for Biglaw w/ Family

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are other affordable and quiet neighborhoods in Manhattan like the UWS? Do you basically have to just keep going north of UWS?
You could do UES, which is probably a bit cheaper as you go further east toward the river, and the commute to Times Square wouldn't be too bad now that the 2nd Ave Subway is open.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:33 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:
ClubberLang wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:OP here. So, just to provide some more info. My loans are going to be around $160k. I need two bedrooms. Wife won't be working much, at least in the beginning (right now she does event planning in Florida). In terms of budget, I was hoping to stay under $3,500. Also, what is UWS?
A 2br in Manhattan on one income with those loans is going to be a stretch. I'd be thinking Jersey or Queens. Jersey has the added huge benefit of no NYC income tax, but some places like Bro-boken and JC are just as expensive as NYC. It sounds like you know next to nothing about the city though, so I'd recommend spending some time here and checking out neighborhoods to get an idea of where you want to live and what you can afford.
Well, I know a little about the city. I lived there last summer and was able to get a feel for the different neighborhoods. I liked UWS and Brooklyn, and I would be willing to live in Hell's Kitchen if I could afford it. I didn't really care for Chelsea, at least for my family. Last summer I lived in midtown east and it was fine. The thing is, I lived in a second-floor walkup for $1,500 per month. So, I really have no idea what pricing is like for the apartments that include the features I need (2 bedroom, elevator). I've called a few realtors and it's hard to know whether they're being truthful or looking to make a buck. Additionally, I really know next to nothing about anywhere outside of the city. At this point, it might be best to take a trip to NYC and take a look at the types of apartments that are in my price range both in and outside of the city.
Hell's Kitchen would be atrocious for kids, and the West Village is way too pricey. The far east Upper East Side (thinking York Ave, etc.) still has some reasonable rents, but maybe not now that the 2nd Ave subway is up and running. Brooklyn is a long commute for Times Square. The suggestion of Forest Hills in Queens is a good one. If you want somewhere closer in to Manhattan but with more space/more kid friendly, I would look at Astoria in Queens.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 pm

I have a kid and was living in park slope, working in biglaw downtown. I would recommend UES for your situation as others have -- a 2BR, you should be able to find something reasonable closer to York, as others have said. Lots of families in the area. I had other coworkers with kids that lived in that area. Good luck on the hunt, it'll be totally fine.

kau11

New

Post by kau11 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:05 pm

Harvard_Naw wrote:So, I'll be working in a Biglaw firm in NYC this fall. I'll be moving there with my wife and four-year-old son. I'm having trouble deciding where I should live. My office is just north of Times Square. Living in Manhattan would be preferable, even if it were for just a year so that we could get settled and spend a year trying to find a good school district/private school either in or outside of the city. I'm wondering if living in Manhattan is financially possible for us on my Biglaw salary, considering that we're going to need a second bedroom and an elevator (for my son). If not, does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to keep my commute as short as possible, but that definitely comes second to safety.
I will be in the exact same situation as OP in the Fall of 2018. My son will turn 4 that September and 160k in debt. I have done some preliminary research looking into the living situation, and I have read good things about Astoria in Queens. The commutes appear reasonable and the neighborhood would be less hectic for a family than Manhattan.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any opinions on Astoria. I admittedly have little experience with NY.

fistfullofdollhairs

New

Post by fistfullofdollhairs » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:45 pm

I have two school age children and we live in 3 bedroom doorman building (co-op) in Morningside Heights (near 110th and Broadway). Our rent is $3,200. We used to live in a "cozy" 2-bedroom apartment ($4,300) in the UWS (in the 70s). We lived there long enough to get them into an amazing school and moved uptown the following year. Once you're in, you're in. I used to live in Brownstone Brooklyn and miss it but the UWS is pretty amazing. So many families, amazing schools, great community vibe, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:04 pm

kau11 wrote:
Harvard_Naw wrote:So, I'll be working in a Biglaw firm in NYC this fall. I'll be moving there with my wife and four-year-old son. I'm having trouble deciding where I should live. My office is just north of Times Square. Living in Manhattan would be preferable, even if it were for just a year so that we could get settled and spend a year trying to find a good school district/private school either in or outside of the city. I'm wondering if living in Manhattan is financially possible for us on my Biglaw salary, considering that we're going to need a second bedroom and an elevator (for my son). If not, does anyone have any recommendations? I would like to keep my commute as short as possible, but that definitely comes second to safety.
I will be in the exact same situation as OP in the Fall of 2018. My son will turn 4 that September and 160k in debt. I have done some preliminary research looking into the living situation, and I have read good things about Astoria in Queens. The commutes appear reasonable and the neighborhood would be less hectic for a family than Manhattan.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has any opinions on Astoria. I admittedly have little experience with NY.
Astoria is good. Also Sunnyside, Woodside, Jackson Heights, Forest Hills, in order of increasing distance from the city.

There are big swaths of Queens, even within these neighborhoods, that are far from the subway, so just be aware of that and try to stay within a few blocks of the train or else half your commute will be walking.

For those working on the west side, Washington Heights north of around 181st and west of Broadway (sometimes called Hudson Heights) is nice and affordable too.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:13 pm

dbalkaran wrote:
malibustacy wrote:You said Manhattan, but how about Forest Hills in Queens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hills,_Queens

Commute isn't too bad, around 30 or 45 minutes to Midtown. The area has some of the highest rated public elementary schools in NYC. Two bedrooms are cheaper and more plentiful than Manhattan.
I grew up in Forest Hills, it's gotten much nicer and it was already one of the more family friendly areas in Queens back then. Not a bad place to live for a little while. I'd also suggest looking at Park Slope in Brooklyn (about a 40 min commute) and the Upper West Side if you're willing to spend more $$$.
I second all these options (except I'd push into Harlem/WH instead of UWS). They are potentially in your budget and largely kid-friendly. I'd also add parts of Astoria, Woodside. Roosevelt Island is also extremely kid-friendly and actually quiet (i.e., not "Manhattan quiet").

I would not move to HK/Chelsea with kids, personally. Generally-speaking it's going to hard to be in Manhattan if you want a 2BR, and especially so if you want a 2BR where the second BR fits more than a crib. You're going to want to look into other options.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:41 pm

elendinel wrote:
dbalkaran wrote:
malibustacy wrote:You said Manhattan, but how about Forest Hills in Queens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_Hills,_Queens

Commute isn't too bad, around 30 or 45 minutes to Midtown. The area has some of the highest rated public elementary schools in NYC. Two bedrooms are cheaper and more plentiful than Manhattan.
I grew up in Forest Hills, it's gotten much nicer and it was already one of the more family friendly areas in Queens back then. Not a bad place to live for a little while. I'd also suggest looking at Park Slope in Brooklyn (about a 40 min commute) and the Upper West Side if you're willing to spend more $$$.
I second all these options (except I'd push into Harlem/WH instead of UWS). They are potentially in your budget and largely kid-friendly. I'd also add parts of Astoria, Woodside. Roosevelt Island is also extremely kid-friendly and actually quiet (i.e., not "Manhattan quiet").

I would not move to HK/Chelsea with kids, personally. Generally-speaking it's going to hard to be in Manhattan if you want a 2BR, and especially so if you want a 2BR where the second BR fits more than a crib. You're going to want to look into other options.
Roosevelt Island is a great suggestion, though rents are pretty damn high there now too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:37 pm

How is Harlem? The rent is about the same as the UWS but it seems like you get a little more for your money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:11 pm

With a kid, go UWS. You can find something in the 3000s easily and UWS is like kid/stroller central.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”