Changing Start Date Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Should I ask to change my start date after already confirming?

Yes, just ask -- it's worth it for an extra paycheck and the worst they can say is no.
41%
No, keep your start date as is; you'll look flaky otherwise (and this way you'll have an extra vacay week)
59%

Total votes: 22

Cilia

New

Changing Start Date

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:04 pm

Okay, sorry in advance if this question is a little convoluted. I’m going to a firm next summer and it's a place known for being fairly intense. Thus, I’m already a little nervous (although of course I haven’t started and have no negative experiences of my own at this point). Anyway, I think I want to change my start and end date. Initially, I had wanted to give myself a solid vacation week between the end of finals and my start date so when I entered my preferences I ranked the latest start date as my top choice. I also confirmed with the partner in charge of this stuff via email per his request.

Anyway I’ve now changed my mind as I realize that I could actually really use the extra week of pay. But I also don’t want to annoy everyone before I even start by seeming like a flake. I'm wondering what you all would do under these circumstances? I created a poll but I’d really appreciate comments as well. (I’m also flip-flopping on whether or not I want to keep my start date as is to hang onto my mini-vacation, but I guess that’s a separate issue). In either event, I wouldn't be starting until May, so it's not extremely last-minute.

Thanks!

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: Changing Start Date

Post by clerk1251 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Cilia wrote:Okay, sorry in advance if this question is a little convoluted. I’m going to a firm next summer and it's a place known for being fairly intense. Thus, I’m already a little nervous (although of course I haven’t started and have no negative experiences of my own at this point). Anyway, I think I want to change my start and end date. Initially, I had wanted to give myself a solid vacation week between the end of finals and my start date so when I entered my preferences I ranked the latest start date as my top choice. I also confirmed with the partner in charge of this stuff via email per his request.

Anyway I’ve now changed my mind as I realize that I could actually really use the extra week of pay. But I also don’t want to annoy everyone before I even start by seeming like a flake. I'm wondering what you all would do under these circumstances? I created a poll but I’d really appreciate comments as well. (I’m also flip-flopping on whether or not I want to keep my start date as is to hang onto my mini-vacation, but I guess that’s a separate issue). In either event, I wouldn't be starting until May, so it's not extremely last-minute.

Thanks!
Don't think it's all that big of a deal either way, but I'm of the belief that what's done is done and you are better off just letting it be. No need for people to get odd impressions of you before you even start.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:17 pm

How big is your class? I don't think this is a huge deal changing dates by one week right now, especially if you are in a huge class.

Cilia

New

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:05 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:How big is your class? I don't think this is a huge deal changing dates by one week right now, especially if you are in a huge class.
Last edited by Cilia on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:13 pm

I think you could use the short break. Don't overwork yourself too much - turning in work that isn't very good and risking an offer for that extra week of pay is not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Cilia wrote:
Winter is Coming wrote:How big is your class? I don't think this is a huge deal changing dates by one week right now, especially if you are in a huge class.
Fairly big; there are over a hundred of us.

Cilia

New

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:34 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
Cilia wrote:Okay, sorry in advance if this question is a little convoluted. I’m going to a firm next summer and it's a place known for being fairly intense. Thus, I’m already a little nervous (although of course I haven’t started and have no negative experiences of my own at this point). Anyway, I think I want to change my start and end date. Initially, I had wanted to give myself a solid vacation week between the end of finals and my start date so when I entered my preferences I ranked the latest start date as my top choice. I also confirmed with the partner in charge of this stuff via email per his request.

Thanks!
Don't think it's all that big of a deal either way, but I'm of the belief that what's done is done and you are better off just letting it be. No need for people to get odd impressions of you before you even start.
You're probably right; I'll probably just let it be. Thanks!

Cilia

New

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think you could use the short break. Don't overwork yourself too much - turning in work that isn't very good and risking an offer for that extra week of pay is not worth it.
true - I was feeling like a slacker for having the extra week but I'm sure I'll end up enjoying it. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:10 pm

It's around 3,500 dollars pre-tax, and around 2,400 dollars post-tax. I mean you'll have to spend money to live for a week, but that's a lot of dough to just give up for nothing if you feel now feel like working. People work a lot harder for a lot less money.

Politely tell them circumstances have changed and you'd like to now start earlier. I can't imagine anyone thinking less of you for inquiring.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Cilia

New

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's around 3,500 dollars pre-tax, and around 2,400 dollars post-tax. I mean you'll have to spend money to live for a week, but that's a lot of dough to just give up for nothing if you feel now feel like working. People work a lot harder for a lot less money.

Politely tell them circumstances have changed and you'd like to now start earlier. I can't imagine anyone thinking less of you for inquiring.
I know, I would like the money. I'm mostly just trying to hide the fact that I'm a flip flop neurotic for as long as possible. I'm worried mainly because they made the process seem so regimented and I also don't want them to say yes to be kind and be quietly irritated. I've come to realize get annoyed by an oddly wide spectrum of things. I know a few junior associates there though so maybe I'll bounce the idea off of one of them too. Thanks!

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:34 pm

Moving up your start date doesn't move up your end date? You straight up get an extra week? Hell, I'd take the money. Minimal impact on you, IMO.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:50 pm

Cilia wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's around 3,500 dollars pre-tax, and around 2,400 dollars post-tax. I mean you'll have to spend money to live for a week, but that's a lot of dough to just give up for nothing if you feel now feel like working. People work a lot harder for a lot less money.

I know, I would like the money. I'm mostly just trying to hide the fact that I'm a flip flop neurotic for as long as possible. I'm worried mainly because they made the process seem so regimented and I also don't want them to say yes to be kind and be quietly irritated. I've come to realize get annoyed by an oddly wide spectrum of things. I know a few junior associates there though so maybe I'll bounce the idea off of one of them too. Thanks!
Just contact HR and say your plans changed and you can start on the earlier date. I don't think people care that much as it's still early.

But only do that if you are certain that's what you want. You made a different decision for a reason. Maybe a good vacation is what you need to do your best work. Doing your best work is the most important thing particularly in the beginning.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:00 pm

Whether you take the extra week or not, the best thing you can do is try to relax a bit and quit overthinking the summer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cilia

New

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:34 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Moving up your start date doesn't move up your end date? You straight up get an extra week? Hell, I'd take the money. Minimal impact on you, IMO.
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:Moving up your start date doesn't move up your end date? You straight up get an extra week? Hell, I'd take the money. Minimal impact on you, IMO.
It's honestly kind of confusing in my opinion because they have people coming in staggered throughout mid to late May and leaving on different dates throughout late July/early August. But I counted and it looks like people starting on the date right before mine get an extra eight days. To me that could mean it's all either very flexible or very regimented because there's so much going on.

Cilia

New

Post by Cilia » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:36 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Whether you take the extra week or not, the best thing you can do is try to relax a bit and quit overthinking the summer.
I know. I think I'm a naturally nervous person. But thankfully people who know me irl tend not to notice so I guess I put on a good front!

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cilia wrote:
I was in a similar sized class and people did all sorts of whacky changing dates; the only people who even dealt with it was recruiting (who didn't care). The partners would have no idea why you were starting on a certain date. I will say that there is a value to being there for the first day of the program in that we had a pretty good orientation and got to meet people and had a little time to adjust to the summer. (Plus open bar first night)

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Cilia wrote:
Dude, thats not fairly big. Thats massive ( and as big as summer classses get).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:52 pm

Cilia wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Whether you take the extra week or not, the best thing you can do is try to relax a bit and quit overthinking the summer.
I know. I think I'm a naturally nervous person. But thankfully people who know me irl tend not to notice so I guess I put on a good front!
Well, you'll fit right in then. But try not to sweat the small stuff.

merde_happens

New

Post by merde_happens » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:59 pm

Definitely ask about it. The first week of a big law summer is practically a vacation anyway.

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:17 am

The firms with over 100 summers do not care if you change your start date, and even if for some reason recruiting was annoyed with the request, the lawyers who will be evaluating your performance will not know nor would they care if they did. Having been at a firm like this, there's no reason not to ask.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:00 pm

OutCold wrote:The firms with over 100 summers do not care if you change your start date, and even if for some reason recruiting was annoyed with the request, the lawyers who will be evaluating your performance will not know nor would they care if they did. Having been at a firm like this, there's no reason not to ask.
Yep - and if you are afraid to ask for some strange reason (which i don't get) just show up on day one. Doubt anyone will know the difference, or just say it must have been a mix up. Obviously, thats a terrible idea when you could just ask, but i doubt there would be any repercussions or that anyone would notice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”