LA Firm Winter Receptions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA Firm Winter Receptions

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Current 1L from LA attending UT/Vandy who wants to return after graduation

I've been getting a lot of invitations to winter receptions but only a few in my desired market. I've tried reaching out to recruitment coordinators but some of them haven't been replying at all. Is there anything I can do (or will this even matter)? Trying to gear up both for 1L interviews and 2L recruitment.

Can any current UCLA/USC students speak to receptions that are going on this winter? Looking for Paul Hastings/Latham/Sidley/Jones Day in particular.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Re: LA Firm Winter Receptions

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 pm

I legitimately didn't know they were a thing. I never went to one or remember hearing of one. Frankly, receptions aren't that helpful anyway.

Br3v

Gold

Postby Br3v » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 pm

I remember being invited to these and thinking they were a big deal but they aren't. Maybe help you pick up an interview but don't stress

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:01 pm

I'll take a slightly contrary view and say these may be more important than a lot of people give credit for, but most of the value is just in getting your name on the list of those who attended.

Especially if a firm is looking to proxy legitimate interest from out of state students, being able to verifiably say "I'm from LA, see i even attended your reception and talked to X Y and Z" probably has some benefit in getting 2L interviews. It's not worth making the trip if you weren't already going to be there though and not worth stressing over if you don't get an invite.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Free booze. Great way to pregame. Just don't get sloppy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:40 pm

OP here.

Yeah, mostly interested in getting my name in on the list and for hopefully snagging an interview come January/February.
I'm home in LA for the break and there's very little cost/effort involved in going so I want to take advantage of whatever opportunities there are. Coming from a non-T14, I get that 1L SA's are an uphill battle (though for anyone really) so I want to stack as many cards in my favor as possible.

WDES2018

New

Postby WDES2018 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:48 am

Here's a list of the SoCal Firms having winter receptions.

Irvine
*Dec. 21: Knobbe Martens

Los Angeles
*Dec. 22: Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe
Jan. 4: Foley & Lardner
Jan. 4: Norton Rose Fulbright
Jan. 5: Skadden

Orange County
*Dec. 21: Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe – Welcoming students with technical degrees or a strong interest in IP law
Jan. 5: Paul Hastings (Costa Mesa)

Between the career pages at NYU and GW, you should be able to get the info you need.
http://blogs.law.nyu.edu/docket/career- ... ity/27324/
http://www.gwlawcareers.org/?p=11045

Return to “Legal Employment?