Pros and Cons of Working in Small/Large offices Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ticklemesilly

Bronze

Pros and Cons of Working in Small/Large offices

Post by ticklemesilly » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:35 pm

For those of us not going to NY, many of the options will be small satellite offices of larger, NY or DC-based firms.

Can anyone speak to the experience of working in a 30 person office, for example, and how it differs from a 300 person office?

I imagine there is more of an opportunity to find mentors in the partners who take you under their wing. but I also imagine as the most junior associate in a 30 person office, you'll also be the go-to person for doc review, right?

I also imagine there will be a lot less formal training provided.

Anonymous User

Re: Pros and Cons of Working in Small/Large offices

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Besides the intrapersonal differences in only have 29 coworkers versus 299 (and the pros and cons associated therewith), the big thing to watch out for is many satellite offices do not generate business but service the firm's clients. This means that the partners in the satellite offices are working for other partners, and you are working for them. You may find these partners are great attorneys and great mentors, but it's also entirely possible you'll realize they are just overpaid associates. It varies a lot firm by firm, I think there are other threads on this, certainly not a bad idea you get all the prestige of the big firm, but just realize there's a good chance you'll be far removed from the client and the power center of the firm.

ticklemesilly

Bronze

Post by ticklemesilly » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Besides the intrapersonal differences in only have 29 coworkers versus 299 (and the pros and cons associated therewith), the big thing to watch out for is many satellite offices do not generate business but service the firm's clients. This means that the partners in the satellite offices are working for other partners, and you are working for them. You may find these partners are great attorneys and great mentors, but it's also entirely possible you'll realize they are just overpaid associates. It varies a lot firm by firm, I think there are other threads on this, certainly not a bad idea you get all the prestige of the big firm, but just realize there's a good chance you'll be far removed from the client and the power center of the firm.
Very interesting. Wonder if this is true of large satellite offices.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:27 pm

IME the "satellite" thing is hit or miss. Some will service clients with work coming in from a more major office. Others are self-sustaining and even bringing on associates from other offices to cover the work. It varies significantly. My office is the firm's third largest and significantly smaller than the big two, but it's generating lots of work and has zero satellite feel right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”