Applying to Biglaw as a 3L

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SlightlyConfused01

New

Applying to Biglaw as a 3L

Postby SlightlyConfused01 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:08 pm

So, I'm starting to mail out cover letters and resumes to big firms to see if I can get a job there after graduation. I am currently summering at another big law firm, and judging by the feedback I am getting from the attorneys there, I can (hopefully) expect to get an offer at the end of the summer. However, the office I am in is not in the location I want to be.

So question is this - when apply as a 3L, is it better to be more specific in what type of work you are applying for? I honestly would be happy with either corporate transactional work or any type of litigation work, but is this something you should say in the cover letter? I know when firms are looking for 3L hires they are typically trying to fill up a specific spot that was not filled by their 2L SA class, so I'm afraid of limiting my chances of getting an interview from them by specifying a section that they are not hiring in.

Also, one more quick question: how do you indicate that you need your application to be confidential (i.e. not to contact your current SA law firm) for fear of your current law firm finding out and jeopardizing your offer with them at the end of the summer?

Anonymous User

Re: Applying to Biglaw as a 3L

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:32 pm

Anyone?

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Re: Applying to Biglaw as a 3L

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:55 pm

I wouldn't worry about them contacting your current firm. If you are worried you can wait until after you receive an offer to send your materials, but don't put anything like that in a cover letter.

And yes firms generally hire 3L's for specific areas. You don't necessarily need to make your preference clear in the cover letter unless they are asking for a specific type of associate, in which case you'll definitely want to mention how you are extremely interested in that area. Hopefully you can back up any preference with work you've done during the summer.

Return to “Legal Employment�