Target range of firms for my background? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Target range of firms for my background?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:39 pm

I reworked my cover (big changes) and resume (only a bit) recently and actually started receiving request for interviews. Went 0/10 initially but with the changes, 3/5. Got 3 bites in the lower V100 thus far. My original plan was to literally go down 1-100 in the Vault but that would be a giant waste of time since I am clearly not qualified for top firms. For someone of my background, what would be the ideal range?

Median GPA, Full ride to T30> (thank the Lord) in a major market + moot court + major bar association awards + legal publications. Been out of school for a year but have heavy lit experience since 2L. Currently at a small firm doing lit. I am aware that I am not a stellar applicant and have no business applying to Cravath. But do I have chances at lower V100 firms? If so, what would be the range to start? Also is there a list of midsize to large firms outside V100 that I can apply to? If so, where can I find them? Thanks for the help as always.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Target range for firms in the V100?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:58 pm

TCR is usually to look for firms with large summer classes where you aren't completely outclassed (like you said, Cravath probably isn't happening), insular secondary markets where you have strong ties to, and to reach out to school alumni or connections you might have at firms (ask OCS if they have this). If OCS has grade cutoffs for your school from prior years, it's not impossible for a firm to dip ~0.2-0.3 from the median GPA listed if you end up being a stellar fit. Aside from that, practice interviewing a lot. If you have a callback, your assumption should be that grades are not a concern, so your interview skills weigh heavily. Someone who's LR but can't look an interviewer in the eyes is going to be worse off than a median guy who is outgoing, and exudes confidence and positivity at the meeting. The best advice I've read on TLS is to treat the whole process as professional speed dating - think about things that you would want the firm to know about you to make them more likely to take you in.

UnfrozenCaveman

Bronze

Post by UnfrozenCaveman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Could be 3 that would have happened anyway, but what did you change on the cover letter?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:30 am

Op here. Highlited more experience and interest clearly demonstrating dedication to the area of law im applying to. Added a touch of personal life stuff that I overcame.

One of my interviewers actually said from the beginning that my cover was really good and my supervising attorney thought it was one of the best. No humble brag. Just saying i think my cover carried over my mediocrity.

Anonymous User

Re: Target range of firms for my background?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:28 pm

I would appreciate some suggestions and advice for Southern California market

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

misterjames

Bronze

Post by misterjames » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Op here. Highlited more experience and interest clearly demonstrating dedication to the area of law im applying to. Added a touch of personal life stuff that I overcame.

One of my interviewers actually said from the beginning that my cover was really good and my supervising attorney thought it was one of the best. No humble brag. Just saying i think my cover carried over my mediocrity.
I have never heard of a cover letter making up for any shortcomings at the V100 before so I'm pretty surprised. mind expanding a bit? what kind of personal life stuff? how long was it? what format? standard intro or did you deviate?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:TCR is usually to look for firms with large summer classes where you aren't completely outclassed (like you said, Cravath probably isn't happening), insular secondary markets where you have strong ties to, and to reach out to school alumni or connections you might have at firms (ask OCS if they have this). If OCS has grade cutoffs for your school from prior years, it's not impossible for a firm to dip ~0.2-0.3 from the median GPA listed if you end up being a stellar fit. Aside from that, practice interviewing a lot. If you have a callback, your assumption should be that grades are not a concern, so your interview skills weigh heavily. Someone who's LR but can't look an interviewer in the eyes is going to be worse off than a median guy who is outgoing, and exudes confidence and positivity at the meeting. The best advice I've read on TLS is to treat the whole process as professional speed dating - think about things that you would want the firm to know about you to make them more likely to take you in.
They're a grad - not talking about OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:46 pm

misterjames wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Op here. Highlited more experience and interest clearly demonstrating dedication to the area of law im applying to. Added a touch of personal life stuff that I overcame.

I have never heard of a cover letter making up for any shortcomings at the V100 before so I'm pretty surprised. mind expanding a bit? what kind of personal life stuff? how long was it? what format? standard intro or did you deviate?
I just came to a conclusion that standard cover will work just fine for people who have a standard resume/GPA for a firm within their range. With that said, it wouldn't make sense for me, who is not so stellar, to do the same thing because I will get auto dinged. I also never bought into the standard cover letter bandwagon because quite frankly it's just boring.

I don't want to give out any specific items that I mentioned but I really think each person ought to tailor the cover to his or her own unique background and personality. I was surprised that I got comments on my cover at all too because I thought nobody gave a shit and they just needed it as a formality, but I think people still do read covers and although it might not help you, it's a way for a partner to see if they have a reason to cut you. From my limited experience, I think not hurting yourself via cover is one of the obstacles applicants must overcome.

Anonymous User

Re: Target range of firms for my background?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:50 pm

Op here. Dinged at my most recent midsize firm. I thought the interview went well. But oh well.

Could use some more suggestions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”