Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Obama2016

New

Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions?

Post by Obama2016 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:30 pm

A bit of background: I am starting at a firm in NYC in the fall, and the dress code is business attire (suit on weekdays). I've lost a considerable amount of weight since I bought my last couple of suits/shirts, and they do not fit particularly well now. They are also pretty worn out and relatively inexpensive, so not worth getting tailored.

I know there are many threads on appropriate attire, etc., but I was wondering what is a good number to have to start off with? I went out and bought some new suits and shirts recently that fit. For suits I recently bought: 1 navy and 1 charcoal. The plan is to buy 1 more either navy or charcoal, and 1 black. For shirts, I recently bought: 3 white shirts and 3 light blue. I have a ton of ties so I'm not worried about that.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

imalreadyamember?

Bronze

Re: Getting Entire New Wardrobe For Work - Suggestions?

Post by imalreadyamember? » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:37 pm

Don't go with black just yet. Swap that with light gray. After that you can get a lighter blue. Black is for formal non-work occasions (wedding, funeral, etc) and doesn't look great otherwise. If you want black you actually want dark charcoal. But you can get one after you have accumulated some (just don't have it in your common rotation).

Also go with at least 3 good pairs of shoes so you can rotate them and they don't get worn out. And maybe one of your shirts should be something fun like light purple or white with some subtle stripes. Wearing a suit every day is a drag after a while so you need something to make it better. I got some great shoes on sale (Allen Edmonds, top notch) and it's way better than wearing my old shoes all the time which hurt my feet and sucked. You never skimp on the things that go between you and the ground: mattress/pillow, office chair, tires, or shoes.

Edit: I have to wear a suit every day and it sucked when I started out with only 2 good suits. I have like 6 or 7 now and it's way better. And I went through the same learning curve as you so I understand your plight---although I was on a lowly clerk salary so you can definitely afford the accumulation of stuff faster than I did haha (but to clarify, you don't have to do all this before you start---build up over the course of a few months while you realize what you like and what fits the office culture etc. You don't wanna show up in a gingham shirt when every other person wears white every day).

stannis

Silver

Post by stannis » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:39 am

AE being comfortable is no joke. I can wear mine for 13-14 hours and my feet still feel great.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:47 pm

Obama2016 wrote:A bit of background: I am starting at a firm in NYC in the fall, and the dress code is business attire (suit on weekdays). I've lost a considerable amount of weight since I bought my last couple of suits/shirts, and they do not fit particularly well now. They are also pretty worn out and relatively inexpensive, so not worth getting tailored.

I know there are many threads on appropriate attire, etc., but I was wondering what is a good number to have to start off with? I went out and bought some new suits and shirts recently that fit. For suits I recently bought: 1 navy and 1 charcoal. The plan is to buy 1 more either navy or charcoal, and 1 black. For shirts, I recently bought: 3 white shirts and 3 light blue. I have a ton of ties so I'm not worried about that.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Get more shirts. Like at least 6 more. You wear five in a week, then you take them to cleaner so you need the other 5. Cleaner cause you do not want to iron those things.

Sucks that you have to wear suits everyday but starting with three is not bad. Expect to go to 5-6 though within the first year.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:26 pm

Don't get a black suit. Black is for tuxedos and funerals. Not work appropriate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

clshopeful

Bronze

Post by clshopeful » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:36 pm

I think nordstrom half yearly sale is soon (or some sale where there are huge discounts). Go there. If I were you, I'd want like 6-8 suits, since you have to wear them x5 a week. For shirts, I'd want probably 15-20 in total, since having less only means they will wear out faster AND youll need to do laundry more often.

May sound like a lot, but nordstrom suits at sale price are like 400-600, so it's not bad. Plus, you don't want to be wearing your suits twice a week, for the entire year.

Also, get 3-4 pairs of shoes. Don't be the guy with two pairs for the entire year. Again, the more you have, the longer they will last (duh) and wearing each pair less frequently gives them time to air out and return to regular shape. Use shoe trees always.

May sound like overkill, but having a good amount of suits/shirts/shoes will make laundry less frequent, make everything last longer, and will be more cost effective in the long run.

Edit: Nordstrom has amazing quality 'calibrate' brand for shirts. At sale, they're like $30, and have lasted me YEARS. Non-wrinkle also which is always nice.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:53 pm

The Saks outlet does either BOGO suits or $199 suits for the Saks label. I got 3 suits that way and they're generally of a decent quality. That's a good way to get suits for an inexpensive price.

Obama2016

New

Post by Obama2016 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:45 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. And I believe the Nordstrom sale is their anniversary sale between July 22-Aug 7, so I'll definitely be checking that out along with Saks.

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:06 pm

I would recommend a cheap indochino suit. ($399, and sometimes cheaper) While made in China, the quality is infinitely better than off the rack stuff. While it's a little hassle to get your measurements, the ultimate quality, customization, and fabric choice is better than something you pick up off the rack.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

blahblewblah

New

Post by blahblewblah » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Arbinshire wrote:I would recommend a cheap indochino suit. ($399, and sometimes cheaper) While made in China, the quality is infinitely better than off the rack stuff. While it's a little hassle to get your measurements, the ultimate quality, customization, and fabric choice is better than something you pick up off the rack.
Agree with this. Been very happy with indochino. You can also often get their premium suits for $399 on sale if you sign up and pay attention to their emails.

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:24 pm

blahblewblah wrote:
Arbinshire wrote:I would recommend a cheap indochino suit. ($399, and sometimes cheaper) While made in China, the quality is infinitely better than off the rack stuff. While it's a little hassle to get your measurements, the ultimate quality, customization, and fabric choice is better than something you pick up off the rack.
Agree with this. Been very happy with indochino. You can also often get their premium suits for $399 on sale if you sign up and pay attention to their emails.
They always have a sale going on. You should never need to spend more than $399 for a two-piece suit from Indochino. There's also Black Lapel, but I've had better luck with Indochino.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:27 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Don't get a black suit. Black is for tuxedos and funerals. Not work appropriate.
I don't understand the aversion to wearing black suits to work. I mean I agree with you that you shouldn't wear one to work, but only because no one else does and everyone says this. I'm thinking of bucking the trend

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:07 pm

monsterman wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Don't get a black suit. Black is for tuxedos and funerals. Not work appropriate.
I don't understand the aversion to wearing black suits to work. I mean I agree with you that you shouldn't wear one to work, but only because no one else does and everyone says this. I'm thinking of bucking the trend
You can wear black suits. I do so rather regularly. I will, however, soften it with a colored shirt with a matching tie to provide a contrast. I might also add a pocket square to change the look accordingly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:14 pm

Arbinshire wrote:
monsterman wrote:
You can wear black suits. I do so rather regularly. I will, however, soften it with a colored shirt with a matching tie to provide a contrast. I might also add a pocket square to change the look accordingly.
This really isn't great advice. Kinda poor actually.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:16 pm

monsterman wrote:
Its just that even the darkest of navy or charcoal looks so much better during the day. In daylight, black is just too 'stark' a color. I feel that a black suit just draws the eyes too much to the suit rather than the persons face.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:22 pm

WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
Its just that even the darkest of navy or charcoal looks so much better during the day. In daylight, black is just too 'stark' a color. I feel that a black suit just draws the eyes too much to the suit rather than the persons face.
Is that the rationale behind not wearing black? I can see the case made for not wearing it in the summer, but I don't think wearing black in the winter/shitty days would be bad. TBF I'm a rising 3L so wtf do I know

Arbinshire

New

Post by Arbinshire » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:26 pm

WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
That depends upon the person's inherent seasonal color. (e.g., I'm a Cool Winter -- My wife's influence. I knew nothing of this before her!) Some people should generally not wear a black suit, while others should stick with the darker fabrics. Fabric/texture are key. A basic matte low thread quality black suit doesn't look good on anyone. Something in the 120s+ with an interesting texture looks bounds better. Also consider the color of the shirt and tie to offset some of the contrast.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:29 pm

monsterman wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
Is that the rationale behind not wearing black? I can see the case made for not wearing it in the summer, but I don't think wearing black in the winter/shitty days would be bad. TBF I'm a rising 3L so wtf do I know
To me at least. And also, the fact that you are 'supposed' to only wear it to funerals or as a tux leads me to think that anyone wearing a black suit doesn't know how to dress and that there were a cheap polyester piece of crap.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:32 pm

The problem with black suits isn't how the color looks on people, it's that traditionally it was reserved for the most formal occasions (tuxedo-appropriate occasions, funerals) and not every day. If you don't care about that - and there's no reason you should - then wear black if you like it. Just keep in mind some people will believe that's inappropriate and whether that matters to you.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:34 pm

WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
To me at least. And also, the fact that you are 'supposed' to only wear it to funerals or as a tux leads me to think that anyone wearing a black suit doesn't know how to dress and that there were a cheap polyester piece of crap.
Yeah okay that is a good point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:34 pm

WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
This exactly. Unless you wear a well fitting black suit with some nice texture on rare occasions (and look more dapper than those around you in your navys and greys the other days), then anyone that understands men's suiting and fashion will not think you're wearing a black suit on purpose. They'll think you just needed a suit because it's required of you, and that no thought went into your "decision" to buy/wear black.

If you have to be on this thread to receive advice about suiting, then you're not yet ready to buy a black suit that will work well for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:35 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:The problem with black suits isn't how the color looks on people, it's that traditionally it was reserved for the most formal occasions (tuxedo-appropriate occasions, funerals) and not every day. If you don't care about that - and there's no reason you should - then wear black if you like it. Just keep in mind some people will believe that's inappropriate and whether that matters to you.
Yeah, that makes sense. I'm at a business formal firm so if anyone would care about that I'm sure they are sitting close to me right now.

monsterman

Bronze

Post by monsterman » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
This exactly. Unless you wear a well fitting black suit with some nice texture on rare occasions (and look more dapper than those around you in your navys and greys the other days), then anyone that understands men's suiting and fashion will not think you're wearing a black suit on purpose. They'll think you just needed a suit because it's required of you, and that no thought went into your "decision" to buy/wear black.

If you have to be on this thread to receive advice about suiting, then you're not yet ready to buy a black suit that will work well for you.
I got a really nice black suit as a gift a couple years ago so I'm really looking for excuses to wear it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:41 pm

monsterman wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:
WeeBey wrote:
monsterman wrote:

I got a really nice black suit as a gift a couple years ago so I'm really looking for excuses to wear it
If it fits great, then you should find excuses. Take your SO out to a nice more formal event, find a ball/gala to go to for networking after work, break it out on NYE or other major holidays. I can't imagine it would be hard to find a good formal nighttime fundraiser to go to in the legal industry.

All I'm saying is, treat it more like a tux, go with a very classic look (white shirt, black tie, maybe add cuff links and a pocket square) and find night time and formal events to break it out.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:18 pm

Arbinshire wrote:
monsterman wrote:
Don't be this guy.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”