What the hell is my end game? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What the hell is my end game?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:06 pm

I am a laid off second year M&A associate that has been looking to lateral to another firm for 3 months. I have had numerous call back but no offers. I finally received my first offer, a state trial courtship. Would my biglaw dreams be shattered if I take this? Is this a bad move for my career?

jimmythecatdied6

Bronze

Re: What the hell is my end game?

Post by jimmythecatdied6 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:42 am

What are your stats?

Tls2016

Silver

Post by Tls2016 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:51 am

Hard to know. You can't keep waiting for another job. Are you wanting to switch from corporate to litigation?

I am not sure how you will spin it when your clerkship ends unless you say you wanted litigation.

You are out on an unfamiliar path. Can you find out where other people with the clerkship have gone?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:21 am

My stats are t20/median.

I have no idea about past clerks and their moves post clerkship. I would have preferred to stay corporate but I am out of time. Maybe I should have approached my search better, but too late now. I think corporate law has slowed a little bit for juniors than the market of 14/early 15.

favabeansoup

Bronze

Post by favabeansoup » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:18 pm

Are you using a headhunter or going solo? What market are you in and have you thought about switching?

I'm in TX and while corporate has slowed we are still hiring people (albeit nowhere near as heavily) and I know other firms are as well. I can imagine that the NYC market and others for corporate laterals is much, much better than TX. I've seen multiple people on TLS talk about how their firms in NYC, etc. are still looking for lots of bodies.

3 months with no luck sucks I totally get that and the desire to just take the clerkship is definitely tempting. You've had multiple callbacks though, so hopefully sticking with it will pay off eventually? Sorry for your situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”