BigLaw Financial Outlook Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSModBot

Diamond

BigLaw Financial Outlook

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 am

Alternate thread title: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Reading:
Altman-Weil 2015 Partners Survey
Georgetown's 2016 Report on the State of the Legal Market
Citi/Hildebrandt 2016 Client Advisory

Just a thread for posting how we're all doomed.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Re: BigLaw Financial Outlook

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 am

"I get it, man, it's all these other idiots who are the problem!"

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am

tl;dr

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am

Also, tag

And bump

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am

EVERYTHING IS OK NO NEED TO WORRY HERE AT ALL

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:25 am

BigZuck wrote:Also, tag

And bump
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:26 am

Also FYI even though most AmLaw 200 firms have seen overall gross revenue growth since before the recession (not even counting those who achieved "gains" through mergers because lol), about half have had overall shrinking profit margins.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 am

Who wants to go in with me on a law firm dead pool? I claim either Dickstein Shapiro or Cadwalader.

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:22 am

those are the ones you want? K&L Gates, man.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 am

I call WSGR for the "massive layoff" category in the pool

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:46 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:Who wants to go in with me on a law firm dead pool? I claim either Dickstein Shapiro or Cadwalader.
As much as the idea of a law firm dead pool entertains me, it's probably in awful taste. Also, hard to talk about some things publicly.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:04 pm

smaug wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Who wants to go in with me on a law firm dead pool? I claim either Dickstein Shapiro or Cadwalader.
As much as the idea of a law firm dead pool entertains me, it's probably in awful taste. Also, hard to talk about some things publicly.
Yeah, I had posited a guess, but retracted because of this.
Last edited by Danger Zone on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:49 pm

It is in poor taste I suppose. But as a public service announcement for those not yet in firms (or law school), general info about law firm financials will be useful - I'll just stick to that.

Also good lord do firms play with their numbers to sugar coat things.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:55 pm

The fragility of law firms is concerning. Because they are partnerships with pass-through taxation, they don't retain much more cash than they need to pay their expenses: partners hate paying taxes on money they don't actually receive. When the cashflow dries up, the partners either have to pay those expenses out of pocket or scale back. And partners really hate having to pay out of pocket...

Capitol_Idea wrote:But as a public service announcement for those not yet in firms (or law school), general info about law firm financials will be useful - I'll just stick to that.

This. Law firm financials are incredibly opaque, and they don't share them in any significant way with non-partners. Which leaves us with PPP and work volume as proxies, I guess.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:03 pm

Aeon wrote:The fragility of law firms is concerning. Because they are partnerships with pass-through taxation, they don't retain much more cash than they need to pay their expenses: partners hate paying taxes on money they don't actually receive. When the cashflow dries up, the partners either have to pay those expenses out of pocket or scale back. And partners really hate having to pay out of pocket...

Capitol_Idea wrote:But as a public service announcement for those not yet in firms (or law school), general info about law firm financials will be useful - I'll just stick to that.

This. Law firm financials are incredibly opaque, and they don't share them in any significant way with non-partners. Which leaves us with PPP and work volume as proxies, I guess.
We get net operating income, gross revenue, etc. through AmLaw which helps but isn't amazing. PPP is less than useless because it can be (and is) rigged by firms.

Even if we had audited financial statements in detail, some things like future work volume from existing clients and collection rates on receivables make real prediction still difficult.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 pm

Anyone have strong opinions one way or the other on using Revenue Per Lawyer as a gauge for comparing law firms relative financial strength (outside of the fact that it's merely revenue and not profits - Profits per lawyer would be great but AmLaw only just started tracking this and I'm too lazy right now to calculate manually for every year)?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:05 pm

You should make your own profitability index and publish the data. Law Firm Transparency.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Aeon

Silver

Post by Aeon » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:15 pm

Looks like AmLaw has expanded the list of metrics they publish. It's been a while since I've looked at their data.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:20 pm

smaug wrote:You should make your own profitability index and publish the data. Law Firm Transparency.
I don't know enough about finance in general or why AmLaw structured theirs the way they do but there has to be a better way of figuring out profitability that excludes PPP.
The American Lawyer wrote:PROFITABILITY INDEX includes leverage, which is the ratio of all lawyers (minus equity partners) to equity partners, and profit margin, which is the ratio of net operating income to gross revenue multiplied by 100. It can also be obtained by dividing profits per partner by revenue per lawyer.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Unfortunately like the USNWP law school rankings, AmLaw's PPP tracking has gained a de facto importance in everything because partners rely on it for lateraling purposes (and, I suspect, internal financial decision-making). And the sheer inertia of it all makes ignoring it worse than including it, I think.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:10 pm

From the Citi report. Future demand is getting even harder to predict from past volume. This could be due either to law firms getting better at stealing each other's lunch or to shifting/decreasing net client demand. Probably a mix of both trending heavier on the latter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Huh.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:37 pm

Yeah that was in slightly bad taste.

But seriously I hope Dickstein gets their merger cuz otherwise it's not looking great.

MCFC

Platinum

Post by MCFC » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:38 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Yeah that was in slightly bad taste.

But seriously I hope Dickstein gets their merger cuz otherwise it's not looking great.
http://www.philly.com/philly/business/2 ... apiro.html

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:48 pm

smaug wrote:
Poor taste? A bunch of rich ass white UMC and rich folks might have to find another job ohes noes. Lets do this.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”