NY v. DC Which is the better place to practice arbitration? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NY v. DC Which is the better place to practice arbitration?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:01 am

My understanding is that arbitration is a relatively limited, albeit fast-growing, area of practice, and my goal is to specialize in the area. If there is a difference, which city offers more opportunities for junior associates to actually involve in arbitration cases? Does it in part depend on whether I want to focus on investment arbitration or commercial arbitration (as I assume firms in DC have more governtal resources)? Thanks in advance for any input!

Anonymous User

Re: NY v. DC Which is the better place to practice arbitration?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:16 am

Hey OP:

I think that if you're set on arbitration, it makes sense to apply to both NY and DC firms. I think Debevoise (who I'd expect you'd apply to) has the practice group centered in NY, but I think some firms have pushed the practice out to DC. Lots of cross-office work anyway, so not certain it matters much.

I'd expect that New York is more frequently a situs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey OP:

I think that if you're set on arbitration, it makes sense to apply to both NY and DC firms. I think Debevoise (who I'd expect you'd apply to) has the practice group centered in NY, but I think some firms have pushed the practice out to DC. Lots of cross-office work anyway, so not certain it matters much.

I'd expect that New York is more frequently a situs.
OP here. Thanks for the reply!

I am deciding between a 1L summer job in NY which will let me try some arbitration work and one in DC which is irrelevant to arbitration. I have zero tie in DC before so I would like to work there this summer to build some connections, provided that DC would be a better place to practice arbitration.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:51 pm

(Same replied as above)

There's another active arbitration thread where you could ask the opinion of a practitioner in DC.

To my mind, being familiar with arbitration and having touched on the work would be more important, especially as DC is not very concerned about ties.

I think networking opportunities are something to consider, but I'd just take the best paying job you can get. If they both pay the same, quality of work would be what I consider next.

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote: OP here. Thanks for the reply!

I am deciding between a 1L summer job in NY which will let me try some arbitration work and one in DC which is irrelevant to arbitration. I have zero tie in DC before so I would like to work there this summer to build some connections, provided that DC would be a better place to practice arbitration.
Take the NY job to try out arbitration before you dedicate your entire career to it. DC doesn't care about ties.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:31 pm

robotrick wrote:

Take the NY job to try out arbitration before you dedicate your entire career to it. DC doesn't care about ties.
I don't think this is accurate.

robotrick

Bronze

Post by robotrick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:50 pm

WheninLaw wrote:
robotrick wrote:

I don't think this is accurate.
Fair enough. OP and others reading might benefit from hearing your opinion/advice on the matter, though.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”