Background Check at Interview Standard? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PennJD83

New

Background Check at Interview Standard?

Post by PennJD83 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:42 pm

I recently interviewed at a V50 firm this past Wednesday, and was asked to fill out a background check form after my last interview of the day. I am just wondering if it's normal for everyone to fill out a background check form the day of the interview or if it is usually a sign that the firm is really interested in the candidate? Also, what is the normal/standard turn around time to hear back from an employer for lateral candidates? I was hoping to hear something by this past Friday. Should I just move on if I don't hear anything by Wednesday? Thanks for the insight!

Chrstgtr

Bronze

Re: Background Check at Interview Standard?

Post by Chrstgtr » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:53 pm

PennJD83 wrote:I recently interviewed at a V50 firm this past Wednesday, and was asked to fill out a background check form after my last interview of the day. I am just wondering if it's normal for everyone to fill out a background check form the day of the interview or if it is usually a sign that the firm is really interested in the candidate? Also, what is the normal/standard turn around time to hear back from an employer for lateral candidates? I was hoping to hear something by this past Friday. Should I just move on if I don't hear anything by Wednesday? Thanks for the insight!
Don't know about law firms specifically, but other industries will often have you fill out background check info and then only do a background check if they are actually interested since it costs them money to do so.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:14 am

I always thought it only happened after you accepted an offer. I had to do one too but htye never went through with anything until after I accepted.

broke.lawstudent405

New

Post by broke.lawstudent405 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:01 pm

What market was the office in?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:38 pm

The firm is in the LA area. My old employer just contacted me to inform me that a background check company called to verify my employment. This has to be a good sign, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:43 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:25 pm

OP here: I still haven't received an offer yet, but the firm's recruiter just emailed me asking me to fill out a conflicts form. Should I read in to this, since I know a background check was also conducted? Or is this just standard?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 pm

I am currently looking to lateral as well. Does anyone know whether firms, as part of the background check process, will contact anyone else besides prior employers and references? Do they call your schools to confirm GPA/rank/good standing? If it's likely, I would like to give these people/offices a heads about a potential incoming call.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:58 am

One V50 firm made me fill out the background check paperwork before my CB interview. Different places have different arbitrary HR procedures.

edit: geez just realized this was a bump of an old thread asking some new questions. sorry, can't help with your lateral question
Last edited by JenDarby on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:05 am

I've had to go through a background check at every job I have ever had. Sometimes agreed to it during the interview, sometimes after acceptance. A lot of the time, accepting the job offer is contingent upon passing a background check.

If there's nothing on your record, it ends up just being a formality.

jdmonkey

Bronze

Post by jdmonkey » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:09 am

I had to fill out a background check during a first round interview. Based on the scheduling, I think they interviewed close to 100 people that day. They had me put the form in a unsealed envelope with my signature on the back. I think those cost about $50 a pop, so they only submit they are really considering.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've had to go through a background check at every job I have ever had. Sometimes agreed to it during the interview, sometimes after acceptance. A lot of the time, accepting the job offer is contingent upon passing a background check.

Yeah compared to the bar background check this is a piece of cake. Only criminal convictions pop up. On the bar they get into juvenile issues, any violation of law even if NG or plead to non-criminal. So like that time you were riding public transit without your school ID, and the transit cop gave you a ticket, and you went to court with your student ID and the deputy verified it and the judge threw out the case cause you didn't cheat the fare...that comes back up :shock: The worst part is when you are asked to explain and you so badly want to rip the transit cop, because you offered to let him keep your passport and driver's license while you ran the two blocks home to get your student ID to show that you didn't beat the fare. End rant!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've had to go through a background check at every job I have ever had. Sometimes agreed to it during the interview, sometimes after acceptance. A lot of the time, accepting the job offer is contingent upon passing a background check.

Yeah compared to the bar background check this is a piece of cake. Only criminal convictions pop up. On the bar they get into juvenile issues, any violation of law even if NG or plead to non-criminal. So like that time you were riding public transit without your school ID, and the transit cop gave you a ticket, and you went to court with your student ID and the deputy verified it and the judge threw out the case cause you didn't cheat the fare...that comes back up :shock: The worst part is when you are asked to explain and you so badly want to rip the transit cop, because you offered to let him keep your passport and driver's license while you ran the two blocks home to get your student ID to show that you didn't beat the fare. End rant!
But this isn't something that ever happened to you, right? :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”